Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > US Airways plane down in Hudson river

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17316 comments Mod

New York plane crash

Although it has nothing to do with the plane crash in Denver last month, I'm still now feeling nervous about the flight to San Francisco in March. What is up with all these take-off incidents?

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) birds... how dare they be up there in the sky!!!

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

I remember my dad always explaining to me how the chances of a bird getting into an engine are quite small, and also explaining the massive amount of bird-deterrent efforts they conduct near airports. I wonder what all that entails?

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Thankfully, no one was killed. Only some minor injuries to report. It's worth repeating: the pilot did a fantastic job of landing the plane as safely as he could. Give that man a raise and a medal.

There were some people who work at the same corporation I work at on that flight.

message 5: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments If I had been on that plane I would still be frantically looking for that card that tells you what to do in case of a water landing.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ha!

In the story one of the passengers describes watching a mother with a baby on her shoulder climbing over the seats to get off the plane as the cabin was filling up with water.

I bet that isn't in the little booklet.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori All I could think was the Hudson was probably more dangerous than the crash! I hope everyone took a long good shower.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 16, 2009 07:29AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments If pilot expertise made the difference in landing safely in a river, and the people were able to work together to get everyone to safety, my faith in the human race is not lost.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments they are calling it The Miracle In The Hudson and i am totally down with that. incredible skill and cool by the pilot (did you read about this guy?), great job by the crew and then for all the ferries to come to the rescue and be in the vicinity? no serious injuries. wow. i needed a miracle about now.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2009 06:15AM) (new)

That truly was a great job done by all involved. Not quite as exciting, but my nephew was the pilot of this plane.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/362203...

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jan 16, 2009 06:33AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I love that Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger has a fan club already on facebook!

♥ <3

If I ever met that guy, I'd want to give him a big ole bearhug! That's one of the best news stories I've read in a loooong time!

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments this is exactly what this country needs now. a seemingly unavoidable tragedy and bleak outlook that turns into triumph! we need to all know that in the face of disaster there is still always hope and things do not always turn out bad. i am encouraged today about life

DUM SPIRO, SPERO

message 13: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I love that Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger has a fan club already on facebook!

Really? I am so becoming a fan of his. Maybe he has a FB page, too?

The Shoe Tosser also has a fan page, of which I'm a fan.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Yes, he really does. I read it this morning... one gal posted on the fanclub wall "OMG, I am terrified of flying but I would be happy to be a passenger on one of your aircraft!! You have saved a lot of peoples lives and are a true hero!!" Brought a happy tear to my eye... :')

I wanna be a fan of the shoe tosser!

message 15: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Go to my profile, and find his page there under Fan Pages. The guy that runs the fan page updates frequently. I think there's even a shoe-tossing game.

message 16: by Charly (new)

Charly Aside from the amazing job he did saving lives think of the national paranoia and perhaps even more that he saved us by not having that plane hit a building! who knows how we might have reacted before we were able to determine whether it was an attack or not.

I thought it was a great feel good story as well. Credit the whole crew for convincing everyone that calm was the oreder of the day. well everyone but the guy who jumped in the river to try to swim for it.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Same plane, two days before had issues leaving LaGuardia

I'm freaked, and glad I never fly this airline or out of this airport.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments That is creepy. LaGuardia is a creepy airport, too.

message 19: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) A friend of mine reminded me of this little fact earlier today: I've been on that very same flight from NYC to Charlotte, from La Guardia, many times before.

Hmmm.

And, yes, Larry, La Guardia is a creepy airport. Actually, it sucks ass.