Melbourne Book club discussion

Currently Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (spooky_sez) I know we all have this info on our pages, but I think it'd be much better to have a chat about what we're reading currently!

Right now I'm halfway through Daggerspell. My friend lent it to me. Great fantasy novel! It's part of a series, like most good fantasy novels. (Anyone read Assassin's Apprentice and all the other books? BEST fantasy novels ever.)

I've also started reading Princess Masako Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne. Got it for xmas. It's full of intrigue! Cant' wait to get further into it.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyaaarrhhhclarke) | 2 comments Tonight I'm reading The Hunger Games, hadn't seen them till I got on this website and then bam! The box set was on special at bigw and I decided to invest :)

message 3: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (spooky_sez) Looks great! Reminds me of Battle Royale.

message 4: by Becky (last edited Feb 08, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Becky (beckyaaarrhhhclarke) | 2 comments And battle royale is now on my wish list :)

message 5: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Grech | 3 comments I've rest most of the Katherine Kerr series, they are pretty good. I stopped once I'd caught up and then wasn't sure which ones I'd read or not next time new ones were released, then I started forgetting the plots lines so I'd have to re-read them to get back on track. Not sure of I want to do that just yet! This year I've been attempting to read a wider range of books and not just sic-fi and fantasy which is why I'm attempting Never let me go.

message 6: by Spooky (new)

Spooky (spooky_sez) I've only got... five?... more Katharine Kerr books to go!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Becky wrote: "Tonight I'm reading The Hunger Games, hadn't seen them till I got on this website and then bam! The box set was on special at bigw and I decided to invest :)"

How are you enjoying the Hunger Games? I finished them a few months back and really enjoyed it. Did you know there's going to be a movie based on the first novel?

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma_ali) | 3 comments I have taken on the task of reading the Holy Bible from first to last page...it has been a long few months, I go days and days without even reading some and then I have to force myself to finally read more so I can finish and move onto my growing pile of new books in my shelf! I will be glad when I have finished it but boy is it a mission...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always wanted to do that, but for some strange reason, it feels "wrong" to read the bible like a novel (this is in no way to be read as judgmental btw!). This is so weird because I'm an agnostic, so it shouldn't feel inappropriate. But, whatever. I'm sure one day I'll ignore that silly feeling and just read it. Are you reading the new or old testament? How's it going so far with it? Very curious to see what you think :)

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma_ali) | 3 comments I'm reading both old and new testament, so far I'm halfway through old...it gets sooooo tedious at times.

I guess some could say it was wrong to read the Bible as a novel, but at the same time....reading it from first to last page is really making me realise that it is less inappropriate for me to di this than for some people out there that I have come across who call themselves Christian or Catholic or whatever they may be, but have never actually read the entire Bible front to back! It has really suprised me how much some religious people I know have misunderstood parts of the Bible because they havent read the whole thing and just flick back and forth to certain passages.

I guess I am agnostic too, but I do have moments when I do believe in God and I guess I just wanted to do a full reading of it as a bit of research, I don't see anything wrong with that :).....there have been a lot of parts I have come across though which highly make me doubt the whole God idea though.
Things contradict too much and there are way too many far fetched scenarios that make me doubt the whole thing. Also the way women are viewed is not really a world I would like to live!

Anyway I better stop writing I could go on forever about my thoughts so far on the Bible, cant imagine how many comments I could make when I'm actually finished haha!

Christopher Walsh | 6 comments I have to say, fiction or otherwise it has to be one of the most important books that any one could read just for its influence on Australian and international politics and beliefs. I rather enjoyed the read aswell. I only wish I knew Arabic for the Qur'an!

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma_ali) | 3 comments I have one that is Arabic one page then translated into English on the other! It was given to me the day I was born from my Turkish half of family. Havent got around to doing a full read of it though. One day I will!

It would take a bit of getting used to reading a book back to front though haha