Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Who's a super-nice person? (presidential libraries)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've met her, too. She's swell.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I'm meeting her on Sunday. Woohoo!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Aww, geez..

:::mumbles thanks, turns beet red:::

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Why?

message 5: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 15, 2009 05:33PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I haven't met her, but I think she's a super nice person, too.

Of course, I thought she was only super nice to ME, so now I feel cheated.

(Kidding...Jackie is the fucking best. I don't know what else to say. Jackie is a role model for how I want to interact with other human beings. I'm not kidding.)

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Montambo, why what?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I mean, are you going to washington or what?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No, I'm going to California, Sarah. Chris and I are visiting his grandfather in Escondido next week, so we're going to get together at Dave's favorite Mexican restaurant in town, El Galeon. I plan on having a Margarita!

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell No, she's coming here. Her grandfather (or is he Chris's grandfather?) lives 30 miles from me.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I'm going to see Jackie in February!

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Well, I'm going to wring all the fun out of her.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hey, KD just said I was nice. He never said I was FUN, Dave.

;)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you're fun, Jackie, because you laughed so hard at my "stop teasing me, librarian" stories! A good audience is always fun.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, that was really funny. RAwr!

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hey! i wanna go to your library! i totally feel left out

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments JACKIE!!! Come HEEEERE! If you visit me, I'll bring you to the Clinton Library! It's pretty cool. :)

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i just left our library minutes ago. time for the semi-annual book sale and i went to help out as i am a card carryin' Friend Of The Library. i getta go back at lunch and take first dibs on any books i wanna buy. hardbacks $1 paperbacks 3 for $1. anybody looking for anything?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Well, what are you waiting for Kevin? Get over here!

Heidi, if I ever get anywhere near Arkansas, I will totally take you up on that offer. I LOVE presidential libraries, and have been to the Carter Library in Atlanta, the LBJ Library in Austin, and the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, CA. I'm still kicking myself for not going to the H.W. Bush Library in College Station when I had the chance! I drove RIGHT PAST it on the way back from AggieCon in '98.
But the Clinton Library, the glorified boxcar? Nothing could top THAT!

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The Reagan Library is in Cali, right? A friend of mine, a psychiatrist, has a love/hate relationship with it. He was invited to be on the advisory board for the Reagan Library. He agreed to do it only to make sure that what they published about Reagan's effect on Mental Healthcare around the country was accurate - i.e. He credits Reagan with the onset of homelessness around the country because of his large budget cuts to mental healthcare during his tenure. Reagan is not well-remembered among psychiatrists and psychologists around the country, esp. the ones working at the VA.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, the Reagan Library is in Simi Valley northeast of L.A. I believe, Heidi. And no, I'm not a fan of Reagan.
I'm a fan of libraries, though, and I'm in a little contest with my brother-in-law over who has been to more of the Presidential Libraries. Right now, we're tied at three, and that CANNOT STAND!

message 22: by Heidi (last edited Jan 21, 2009 06:22AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Rich always said that Despite the fact that the man was less than stellar as a president, his library is a helluva legacy. I would love to visit other presidential libraries. A friend of mine is the 2nd in charge archivist at the Clinton Presidential Library. I don't know exactly what her title is, but I think her job is TOTALLY enviable. She says she has job security for at least another 10 years - they have soooo many contributions to sort through and archive.

message 23: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Reagan admin. also contributed to family homelessness by iniating deregulation of housing markets.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments From what I've seen, the library is beautiful... so they have THAT going for them.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.