Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Kirsten's 2009 Books

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) I'm a few weeks late in posting my reads for '09. But better late than never.

message 2: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 15, 2009 01:40PM) (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1

The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1 (1931-1934) by Anaïs Nin

The only link is to volume 1, but the volume I just finished was number 3. This is the first book I began and finished in '09.

message 3: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I discovered that when you go into the add book/author link to search for the book you want, you can enter in the ISBN to make a speedier/more efficient match.

So, for The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 3, just enter the ISBN: 0156260271 instead of the title and it should just pop right up.

How did you enjoy the Diaries? I hoping to pick up Delta of Venus, Little Birds, and Artists and Models sometime this year. However, the Diaries have been calling out to me from the bookstore shelves for a while now, so they might get bumped higher up the to-be-read list.

message 4: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Other Anais Nin fans. Yay!

message 5: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 25, 2009 06:18AM) (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) Oh, thanks. Now I know.
I loved this book. I also just finished Winter of Artifice, which is amazing. Her writing style is very poetic. There is actually a quote from the book that sums up what I love about her perfectly- " 'Prose,' I said, 'is dying of flatness, and poetry is dying of metered artificial patterns and formations. They need cross-pollination.' " And a big plus for me is that she was involved/around the surrealist writers and artists. (I'm a visual artist and surrealism is one of my favorite artistic movements.)

Charity wrote: "I discovered that when you go into the add book/author link to search for the book you want, you can enter in the ISBN to make a speedier/more efficient match.

So, for The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol...."

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) Amphigorey Also Amphigorey Also by Edward Gorey
This is mainly a book of illustrations, but it has his lyrical stories in it as well. So I'm counting it!

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) Yes! I've only read In Favor Of The Sensitive Man, Diary 3, and Winter Of Artifice, but I love her writing style. She is one of the first authors where I feel I really relate to her work on a soul level.
Danine wrote: "Other Anais Nin fans. Yay!"

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) I'm on a Dorothy Paker poetry kick. Finished 2 of her poetry books this past weekend:

Death and Taxes
Death and Taxes by Dorothy Parker

Sunset Gun
Sunset Gun by Dorothy Parker

message 10: by Kirsten (last edited Mar 10, 2009 02:34PM) (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) The Three Incestuous Sisters An Illustrated Novel by Audrey Niffenegger The Three Incestuous Sisters An Illustrated Novel
This isn't a graphic novel as much as it is an art book. The illustrations were done over a period of 13-14 years using aquatint. (A printing process where watercolor is used on top of the print.) The story itself is eclectic and a bit surrealist, but I like that.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (dollydagger) Now Watch Him Die Now Watch Him Die by Henry Rollins

My first book by Rollins. I'm not a Black Flag fan. I just enjoy his spoken word and interviewing on the Henry Rollins show. He's one of those people that's just a charismatic dick. It read well, though. Very dark.