Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Book/Author/Series/Genre > Series discussions-may contain SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 173 (173 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I thought this would be a good thread to start. Talk about the series we are reading. Are we enjoying them. Ask questions about a series we are curious about.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I did not realize how many series I had going either. Or how many I wanted to start until I was going over other people's list and going "Oh yeah!" LOL. That is great to see what all is coming out for some of the series I am reading as well.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Kenjii wrote: "I did not realize how many series I had going either. Or how many I wanted to start until I was going over other people's list and going "Oh yeah!" LOL. That is great to see what all is coming out..."

Great idea, Kenjii. I didn't realize how many series I have started and is in-between until I saw my list. My goal is to start knocking them out, until I catch up, before I start other new series....LOL...oh, well..I guess I better get reading.

Right now, I'm reading Caressed by Ice, book 3 in Nalini Singh Psy/Changeling series. I'm enjoying it, and would recommend it.

Also listening to FaeFever by KMM, and its a good thing I finished the Highlander series before listening to this, coz now I have some reference with the Christian McKeltar character.

I'm always happy to discuss other series you guys are reading.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: I am glad you liked this thread. I didn't want to step on any toes my adding my 2 cents. I love your challenges but I thought a diss. here or there couldn't hurt! Ha!

I enjoyed a lot of series I started last year.

Not really ranking them but:

Psy-Changling

Riley Jensen

Dark Hunter (which I believe I started in 2007)

to name a favorite few. I would love to be able to afford to get them all as a set but I can't. So I love using PBS to swap and get the series as I can. I am glad I have a somewhat gathered memory and am able to recall the situations the characters are last left off in.

Riley Jensen is one of the first series I can recall reading the blurb (knowing nothing about the author) and ordering the complete series. Well, as complete as I could get my hands on. LOL. About the first 4-5 books. I devoured one after the other. Whenever I get distracted, even from something I love like reading, it is usually an old favorite like writing or another favorite author, lol.

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 15, 2009 12:41PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Now..I'm going to make a confession here..and most PNR fans will probably shoot me..I cannot get into SK's Dark Hunters.

I've read I think two books in the series, and I'm not fond of her writing style. I know I should probably give her another try, considering how much stature her series has in the PNR world, but with too many series I'm currently into, hers has gone into the backburner.

Do you think I should give it another whirl?

Right now, the library is my local source of books, considering my current financial situation, and I'm blessed with a library system that is pretty updated in their selections and does home delivery. It's like having my own book version of Netflix...and all free...LOL..love it.

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 15, 2009 12:47PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Wow thats amazing Yz. I really love her style of writing.. its the hero gets the girl type books.

Though I like many diff types of styles, but I just think her books are really good.

What I like about them is that you get to know each dark hunter by reading their book.. not only that.. she tells quite a bit of backstory of the dark hunters as a whole and you learn of others too so the more of them you read the more you really know about the gods who created them and control them and what they are all about.

I do admit that if you read them back to back the hero gets the girl story sometimes can get old, even though the story is never the same in the books. I dont read them back to back though, I am not yet done with the series because I am reading a couple in between those so I dont get bored of them.. but they are really good.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) It's probably not the "hero gets the girl" thing that Yz doesn't like; all PNR (and all romance, for that matter) follow that. I know Yz loves BDB;), and they do that.

But I haven't read any of the DH books, so I can't weigh in. I do want to, though, so what is it specifically that turns you off, Yz? I'd like to know so I can get a feel for whether or not I'll like them.

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I know what you mean, Tricia, and I'm usually easy to please and I like my PNR books heavy with romance, that I still wonder why I gave up on her. It's not that I read them back to back because I didn;t. I think I read Wren's book and Danger's. I also read her as Kinley McGregor in her other series.

Maybe I was just in a strange mood when I was reading them but I thought the writing was juvenile at that time. I think I read her right after I discovered BDB, and maybe it just suffered by comparison.

Maybe I should give it another try, just to say, I read the series.. I do like Simi and Ash though and the blond surfer God...forgot his name.

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 15, 2009 12:58PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Not all.. Anita Blake series doesnt.

I mean not in the traditional sense. 1 hero 1 girl, etc.

Most probably do, and I actually adore the ones that dont fit that generic style to a T because it leaves more to fill the story with and it makes it so much more interesting.

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Yep, Nichole, got me right. I love my romance and happily ever afters. That's why I don't have that many UF books in my list...most are simply PNRs.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Well, I would classify Anita Blake more as urban fantasy; I'm pretty sure that's the difference between the two genres.
There are some that really blur the lines, and a lot of UF does have some sex and/or romantic storylines, but they don't follow the "each book has a male and female lead, with a HEA at the end" formula of romance.

message 12: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I agree with you Nichole. UF books may have elements of romance but its strength lies its storyline.

Series that I'm reading that I don't consider PNR but UF are Anita Blake, Sookie Stackhouse, and Mercedes Thompson. I don't mind reading them, because I like the characters, but my first love will always be PNR.

There is a rabid, vitriolic discussion on Amazon on how Ward is moving her BDB from PNR to UF in the next book, although I think she will still try to straddle that fence, because we know that Rehvenge will have a HEA in that book, although the romance might not be the main focus.

Sorry..if i'm all over the place in my response...LOL.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm with you, Yz. There's a lot of UF out there that I like and that's fun to read, but it's usually a strong romantic storyline that draws me into anything, whether it be a book, movie, tv show, etc. So I prefer PNR, but I do sometimes get sick of the formula. You know exactly how every PNR book is going to end. I would say I definitely prefer books that really blur the line; that's why I like Jeaniene Frost's series so much. The romance is front and center, and the hero is super sexy, but they're also high on action and don't follow "the formula" quite as much.
And what I like about BDB is that even though you know they end up together at the end, the way you get there and the backstory you get on the characters keeps it really fresh.

Anita Blake and Mercedes Thompson are on my "to get to at some point" list. I have to admit (and I hope I don't get yelled at) that I started the first Sookie Stackhouse book and it did absolutely nothing for me.

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 15, 2009 01:27PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments I havent read the Sookie Stackhouse series.. mainly because its a show on HBO lol..

I find that it they could pull of a show then the book wasn't good. I know I will get slack for that comment.. but its just how I see it.
Any really good book wouldn't be suitable for any television hehe. Which is why I am less then thrilled about LKH making Anita Blake into a series or movie or something.

I am one of those gals that likes REALLY good and often times perverted sex scenes in books. I like things that are so out of the normal it makes people go What the hell?!
I do like other things, and dont need sex in a book to read it or enjoy it.. but vampires and sex sort of just go together imo.

I been hearing alot of good about the Sookie series, but just am leery of bothering with it because of the show =/

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I can't wait to start on Jeanine Frost's Nighthuntress series since I've heard so much about Cat and Bones in a lot of groups.

Yes, the romantic angle is very important to me. The only reason I got into Anita Blake was because my first encounter of her was through an audiobook, and I was so fascinated by the girl's voice, I wanted to hear more about her world. And then I started picking up the books because I was still rooting for her and Jean Claude. By the time, I realized that there will be other guys involved, I've just sort of made friends with the whole gang and just want to know more about what happened.

As for the Sookie Stackhouse series, I think I'm not going to read this series but listened to it. So far I've listened to the first and second and I enjoyed it. I haven't seen the entire HBO show but a friend of mine taped some episodes and show me portions of it. The show and the book are highly different, and the argument is this, if you like the show, you will hate the book and vice versa. The tv show added some elements that are not present in the book, that is the most that I can say.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) You make a good point, that if the book was any good it wouldn't make a good show. I like that. :)

The thing with Sookie Stackhouse is that it never sounded appealing to me, but based on the fact that it got made into a show and everyone seemed to be raving about it, I thought why not. I had seen the first 3-4 episodes of True Blood, and when I started reading the book it seem to be exactly the same. So I already knew what was going to happen, and there was absolutely nothing about her writing that made it worth reading. In fact, I found Charlaine Harris's writing to be kind of grating. I still plan to finish the book eventually, but I really didn't like it.

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Yeah, I mean it might make a good show.. as twilight seems to be a good movie etc..

But I need more in the books I read :P hehe

message 18: by Nichole (DirrtyH) (last edited Jan 15, 2009 01:54PM) (new)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I really didn't expect Twilight to be a good movie (and there are probably many people who would argue that it didn't), but I was surprised by it. I actually liked it, although it certainly wasn't the greatest movie ever. I thought it had a different overall flavor/feel than the book, though.
(Sorry, I know this isn't the twilight movie thread...:)

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 15, 2009 02:10PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I like the Twilight movie. I even saw it twice. It actually has a slightly different feel about it, more comic than I expected, but I enjoyed it. I thought Pattinson was a good Edward, handsome but spooky looking. Although I was disappointed with the meadow scene, but I guess with a small budget they couldn't do much with special effects. I love the baseball game scenes.

The funny part is I went with two different girlfriends at each showing, and at the end of the movie, they decided they wanted to read the books. So we have to stop at a bookstore so they can buy it. And to think these people are not readers. I might not be a big Twilight fan, but I do recognize how many people because of her books are now reading more.

Tricia, Long live the bookworms..LOL..

message 20: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments I agree, better that more people are reading now then not at all! :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments You know how they say it is all a matter of opinion for everything. Well for me SK's Dark Hunter series came at the right time for me. I actually read it out of order b/c the book I got was listed as #1 : Dream Hunter. Not a lot of people even like the Dream Hunters (me included) but since I loved reading Dream Hunter as my first Dark Hunter series book I fell in love with Arik (an Oneiroi(Dream Hunter that polices other Dream Hunters) turned Skoti(a rogue Dream Hunter that is addicted to the emotions of humans and can drive them insane if they remain attached to their dreams to long). It is a complicated mythology not often used in romance made sexy that I like(d) about the Dark Hunters. It is not vampire done the same but different. It is a new breed. It is not demons done the same but different it is the creations of Gods from different pantheons. It is a trip when you have read 25+ books into a series or a mega 700+ paged book and still can't get enough.

I'd def. recommend finding the mood for Kenyon. She's taken a rather interesting approach to what's been done thousands of times over in PNR and given it a voice that's a dark sexy.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I was able to read 7 plus DH books in a row in anticipation for ACHERON. So I don't really get too burned out on Kenyon.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Nicole: No apologies. Off topic comments are allowed here. Plus TWILIGHT is a series.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Yz, have you read the DH books in the right order? I loved the series. Some books were better than others with Asheron being one of my all time favorite books, but you have to read them in order.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Tricia said I am one of those gals that likes REALLY good and often times perverted sex scenes in books. I like things that are so out of the normal it makes people go What the hell?!

Girlfriend, I'm right there with ya. Have you read Victorious Star by Morgan Hawke? Love that book!

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I love both the Sookie books and the HBO series but that's the beauty of books...there is something for everyone. I think the books get better as they go along and I can't wait for the next one. I think people either like Sookie or they hate her. Same way with Bill...who I hate and am firmly in the Eric camp.

message 27: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 15, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments

Oh no I havent Lori.. oooh I must check this out asap! :P

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Kenjii, you're right. Twilight is a series. I retract my apology. :)

message 29: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Lori,

No, I did not read the DH books in order. I should probably give them another try. It must be where my mind was at, the first time I read her books that made me not like it.

As for the Sookie Stackhouse books, I've just finished the first two books, and I have to say, I'm fascinated with Eric's character. I will be continuing the series, althoug I think I will pursue it in audiobook format. I enjoy listening to the narrator.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I like True Blood. I had only read a Sookie Stackhouse novella and liked the story, character and Charlane Harris' writing to be interested in the series.

I have not started yet but in between season 1 and 2 of True Blood I may find time. =).

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments I'm thinking maybe some of the folks who don't enjoy Sookie have trouble because Charlaine Harris writes the character very straightforward. If you've taken writing or literature classes, it's more telling than showing. Sookie thinks, Sookie does. Sometimes that can be offputting.

I really like it, though. :) I think it's kind of refreshing. I don't have to think when I read them, I just sort of go with the flow.

message 32: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartnz) | 72 comments I'm on the waitlist for Lover Enshrined (BDB). 13th in cue to be exact. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Might take awhile though :(

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Sarah,

I think you're right; I think that's exactly the problem I had with it.

But I didn't get terribly far into the first book. I still plan to finish it eventually, and hopefully there will be something about the story that will grab me. I don't have HBO so I haven't been able to really keep up with True Blood (I was illegally downloading the episodes and then just sort of gave up on it and now my computer's dead so it's a non-issue), so there could be some surprises waiting for me.:)
Everyone seems very interested in/excited about this character Eric, so maybe when I get that far I'll start to like it more?

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Nichole,

Since I like the series, I'd say definitely give it another try. But I'd also say wait until you're in the mood for something that doesn't require a lot of mental input. When you're in the mood to just let someone tell you a story, then try it. For me, it's like listening to a girl friend tell you of this big adventure she's just had.

Books 3 and 4 are when you start to sit up and take notice of the character Eric. I LOVED book 4! I'm working through From Dead to Worse now.

message 35: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 16, 2009 12:28PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Maybe thats the reason why I like listening to the Sookie Stackhouse audiobooks. It's like having her beside me telling all her crazy adventures, complete with her own ramblings and silly but sometimes insightfuly observations about people and everything in general.

So far I've noticed that books told in first person are great audiobooks, like the Anita Blake, Fever series, and Sookie Stackhouse.

Currently waiting for Club Dead to be delivered to my doorstep.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) hmmm... that's a good idea, Yz. Maybe I should try listening to them. I'm not usually a fan of audio books, but it sounds like in this case it might be better.

message 37: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jan 18, 2009 09:14PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments This question is for any HQN Intrigue fans out there. There is a Trilogy called the Security Breach series and one book is called Chain reaction By Rebbecca York, not sure but I don't think she wrote the other 2.

I am searching GR for the other 2. I just want to add to my read list, lol. Thanks for yall's help.

Triggered response in another....just need one more...

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments Kenjii,

I wish I could help you. I have read quite a few. I could not find on my shelves any that specifies "security Breach" sorry. I will keep my eyes open. :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Cheryl: TYVM! I searched GR with harlequin intrigue. I only got about halfway through. There are like 11 pages! So if ya wanna help that would be great. Thanks! I love Intrigue and have about 40 or so that a friend gave my from PBS.

message 40: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (jodz87) Ive just finished the paladin series by alexis morgan
And lara adrian's breed series. I have the Anita blake series (The 1st 5 anyway) sitting here but i keep putting them of wanting to read something else.

I really wanted to read the sookie stackhouse series but was impaitent and watched the tv series TRU BLOOD. Ive watched the whole 1st season ...Is it the same as the books and I ruined it for myself or would reading the books still be worth it?

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Jodz, the series is very different from the books. There won't be any surprises in the first book since you've seen the show but I think you'll still enjoy it. I know you'll enjoy the rest of the books. My niece is reading them all after watching True Blood and she loves the difference between the TV characters and the book characters.

message 42: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Jodz,

I like both the Paladins and Midnight Breed series.

The first season of True Blood is the equivalent of the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I haven't watched the entire show, but it seemed to follow the storyline so far. However, the show added other things that are not part of the book.

Still, a lot of people are raving about the show, so it must be fun to watch. As for the books, I've listened via audiobook the first two and so far I like them.

message 43: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (jodz87) Thankyou Lori & YZ,
I really liked the TV series. I think I'll just buy the books. I know I want to read them I was just hoping I didn't spoil it hehe. But it the 1st season is only equivalent to the 1st book then thats not bad at all!!

Thanks ladies

message 44: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Just finished FaeFever. Anybody who has read the Fever series, and want to talk about it?

message 45: by Sarah (last edited Jan 21, 2009 07:28PM) (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Sure, I loved FaeFever. And again, this post has spoilers so skip it if you don't want to know!

That ending was just evil! Poor Mac! And all the questions still up in the air: You don't know if Barron's set up the sidhe seers; you don't know which sidhe seers are still alive; you don't know how the Druids are surviving at their ritual; and poor Mac... is she (I've forgotten the word for fae-enthralled)? And where's the doggone Sinsar Dubh? And where was V'lane when she needed him? So many questions.

I've read that many people felt violated that KMM ended the first arc the way she did. She had promised on her site that there would be sex in this book, but she never meant to promise that it would be anything romantic. Instead, she envisioned this as Mac hitting rock bottom and having to fight her way back to the top to defeat the Unseelie and restore the boundary. I can see the story working up to that. Up to now, Mac has largely been relying on Barrons, or V'lane, or Christian to tell her what she needs to know. Now that they are all somewhere else, it's up to Mac to get out of the situation she's in.

I will say I wish I'd read the Highlander series before I read the Fever series. I think Highlander fleshes out the world so much more, even though it is solidly romance and Fever is more Urban Fantasy.

Personally, I can't wait for the next book. Dreamfever is due out in August. I will definitely pre-order again.

message 46: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments I'm just wondering if any of you gals read the Janet Evanovich series? I have been recommended them time after time but I usually like my books very heavy on the romance and so I'm not sure whether it is worth starting yet another series??? I have actually taken 1 & 2 home from work a couple of times and they have gone back unopened cos I get more into my 'proper romances'. What do you gals think?

message 47: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jan 24, 2009 03:05PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I'm actually in the middle of that series myself It's a good LOL series. I usually pick them up to read just to break up the monotony from reading too much PNR. They're not bad books. I've only read the first two so I don't know how the progression for the potiential romance goes but the characters are very enjoyable.

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1243 comments I LOVE the Evanovich series. They are so funny, with a decent mystery, and bits of romance. They are fast, easy reads. The first few were much more serious mystery books. After that, they focused more on the romance and the main characters than the mystery. They are really worth reading. Someone had given me books 1 through 8 at one time and I read a book and a half a day and wanted more! They are good, but I think everyone's getting burned out because we've waited a year in between each book, yet the main characters haven't progressed much in their lives. I read each new one for the humor more than anything now.

message 49: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments Thanks Jael & Melissa. I am doing the 999 challenge over on librarything and one of my categories is new authors (to me), so I thought I might give Evanovich a whirl. After what you gals have said, I will definitely get 1 & 2 (again) from the library. Thanks again.

message 50: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Stephanie Plum is hilarious! A friend got me into the books a few years back and I devoured all of them in just over a week or so and now have to wait a whole year between newer titles. Argh. I must admit, I read it for the hilarity - but mostly for mentions of Ranger :-)

« previous 1 3 4