Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

Ireland travel literature?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, can anyone recommend travel narratives on Ireland? I'm going there next month, and I'm reading up on Irish history, but would love to read a good travel story as well. Thanks!

message 2: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments Suzanne,

There are many, many options for you, depending on where in Ireland you are going. Top of my list are works by J.M. Synge, (The Aran Islands or Travels in Wicklow, West Kerry, and Connemara). The short stories of George Moore (The Untilled Field) are a great introduction to County Mayo and a collection of Yeats' poetry should be the first book you pack.

If you'd like more suggestions, feel free to contact me offline (rtfelton at earthlink.com) or check out my blog, http://openpage-openroad.blogspot.com. You may also be interested in my book, A Journey into Ireland's Literary Revival. Have a great trip.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks R!
I will look up your book and your blog ...

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hecht (-Andrew-) | 3 comments The classic Irish travel bool is "Round Ireland in Low Gear" by the indefatigable Eric Newby.

Have a great trip!

Andrew

message 5: by Fern (new)

Fern Richardson | 3 comments Check out A Secret Map of Ireland by Rosita Boland. It's written by an Irish journalist.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (pinkalpaca) | 9 comments Ireland is my favorite place to read about and I'm adding all of the suggested books to my list. Somewhat on the lighter side, my pick is McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy. He made me completely fall in love with a country without ever even visiting.

message 7: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments Laurie -

I am just starting the follow-up book by Pete McCarthy, The Road to McCarthy. He does have a great narrative voice with just enough humor to make it fun. Tying in with the other conversation in this group, he reminds me of a Bill Bryson (who I do like) that is not trying quite so hard to be funny.

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (pinkalpaca) | 9 comments R. wrote: "Laurie -

I am just starting the follow-up book by Pete McCarthy, The Road to McCarthy. He does have a great narrative voice with just enough humor to make it fun. Tying in with the other conv..."

I loved The Road to McCarthy as well. After reading both books within a short amount of time and eagerly wanting more, I was saddened to hear of his untimely passing. He really had a wonderful voice.

It's great to get your 2 cents on the Bill Bryson discussion as well!

message 9: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments I used to teach a course called "The Great American Road Trip," and we read excerpts from The Lost Continent, contrasting them with Kerouac and Steinbeck. Oddly, the kids didn't always get the humor.

message 10: by Adriane (new)

Adriane Leigh (adriane_leigh) | 2 comments We're also heading to Ireland in April and I'm beginning my search for books on Ireland. At the top of my list is R's "A Journey into Ireland's Literary Revival" (can't wait to get it!). Thanks for all of the other suggestions!

message 11: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments Have a great trip Adriane, and thanks. Feel free to email me offline (rtfelton at earthlink.net) with your itinerary and I can offer a few more suggestions.

Todd

message 12: by Adriane (new)

Adriane Leigh (adriane_leigh) | 2 comments Thanks, Todd. Once we get something more solid together I'll definitely send you an email for more suggestions!

message 13: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments For those of you reading this from the New York City area, it looks like I will be giving a book talk and slide show on literary Ireland on February 27 at the National Arts Club. Stay tuned to my blog for more details. I am also giving the same show in Santa Rosa, CA in March.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

R, come to the Chicago area too please!

message 15: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments I would love to, Suzanne. It's got a great Irish population and is one of my favorite cities. Any suggestions on venues?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The Printer's Row Book Fair in June would be perfect!!

message 17: by R. (new)

R. | 9 comments I will look into it and see if anybody there is interested. Thanks for the suggestion.