The Riyria Revelations discussion

General Stuff > Help me out a little

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments What is the proper pronunciation of "Riyria"?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 347 comments Mod
As spelled, Riyria should be pronounced: /rye-ree-ah/

I personally have always pronounced it: /Rye-ear-ah/ (must have something to do with the elvish diphthong translation)

There is actually a plot-based reason for the odd spellings of many of the words in the book, which I am not at liberty to reveal at this time. Rest assured however, that I would have created simpler words otherwise.

There is a whole glossary with pronunciations and definitions on my website at: http://riyria2.yuku.com/topic/411

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 268 comments Mod
Michael is usually pretty good about not having strange to pronounce words in his book but Riyria was a HUGELY contested word. There were various spellings contemplated and a small focus group was eventually tapped to come up with the final spelling.

There is only one other "difficult" word in the series and it comes up in book 2 - it even is joked about in the book - Royce has a great one liner about it. I can't wait until Avempartha is out so I can talk to others about it! -- So hard keeping quiet ... must .... not.... give... things .... away.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 18 comments I was pronouncing it wrong in my head I "re" "uri-ah"

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Michael ~ Thank you. I've been saying Rye-ear-ee-uh - and I wasn't sure. I'm not good at figuring out pronunciations, so I had to ask! ;-)

Robin ~ I am eagerly waiting for Book 2!

Speaking of, What's the proper pronunciation of Avempartha?

message 6: by Michael (new)

Heather wrote: "Speaking of, Wh..."

That one is pretty easy. /ah-vem-parth-ah/

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Yes, it is. Thank you! :-)

message 8: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 56 comments I had no idea how to pronounce "Riyria" in my head. I didn't even bother to sound it out. So, it's good to see the actual pronunciation. I did get "Avempartha" right though. :)

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Weird, but I was pronouncing it the way Michael did /Rye-ear-ah/ & I don't know Elvish. Hmmm...

message 10: by David (new)

David "As spelled, Riyria should be pronounced: /rye-ree-ah/" - seriously? I don't see that at all.

As spelled Riyria should be pronounced: Ree-why-ree-ah.

I speak English, Latin, German and have also studied French, Middle English, Navajo and a smattering of others, including Korean.

message 11: by Michael (new)

When we were coming up with various alternatives we put the words into a text-to-speech program and it came out "Rye-ear-ah." That of course doesn't mean anything but it is part of what we did.