Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > When's Kevin leaving again? Wish him well...

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments When's that trip to India, sir? How long are you going to be gone? I don't want you just disappearing out of nowhere on us, man...

message 2: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Don't they have the internet in India?

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Fair question!

message 4: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Kevin could at least send us an e-postcard or something!

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thanks for asking. i leave saturday morning returning on the 31st. i just picked up my share of meds to take (about 50#) as i am traveling with mostly doctors and nurses to do a clinic. i am a photog buff so i may try to post some pics to a blog site that i haven't used in awhile) i will look for an internet cafe and check on you all and send a "namaskaram" to the group.

and can i add how much fun i am having being a part of this group. thanks for having me. i know most of my comments are snarky but i am enjoying your company

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I wish you well!!

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 15, 2009 08:58AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm glad you're here, sir, you contribute a lot, and I wish you health and safety overseas.

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I assume they have the Internet in India. They have just about all our IT jobs there...

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments mostly i do projects in pretty rural areas. i have not been to this place before but i have found that even most places have at least internet cafe's.

yeah gus - i may try to get a part time job while i am there. when you call the US Government help line ask for kevin and see what happens?

message 10: by Félix (last edited Jan 15, 2009 10:24AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Snarky is a very good descriptor of your remarks. Nothing wrong with snarky, in my universe anyway.

Safe travels.

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Jan 15, 2009 11:26AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Okay, I need background info because this is the first I've ever heard about your travel to India, Kevin.

Why are you going? Are you going with a group or no? Have you done this before or is this your first visit? And why would RA know about it? These are all important for understanding.

I volunteered to organize a medical mission trip for a group of docs and therapists and a documentarian several years back (not knowing just how involved the preparations really are) - LOTS of paperwork to fill out. They were in the DRC for 3 months.

I was just talking to a coworker about pizza yesterday. He's from India. He said they never eat pizza in India because it's so expensive... like 400/500 rupees a pizza, if I recall correctly (that would translate to $25 dollars... ish - easy for him to find/spend because he was an MD there and made 1600 rupees a month, but for most people there it's a luxury) - the ingredients are not readily available and can be hard to find. Get your pizza fix before you leave!

Safe travels and every good wish to you, Kevin!

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have extremely strong binoculars, Heidi, and I keep track on all of you. Clean that kitchen counter, will ya, already, Heidi?

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Whatev. You can't fool me! My kitchen counter is spotless, RA. It's one of the few things I'm ticky about - I can't STAND dirty kitchen surfaces and I get weirded out when anything that doesn't have to do with food preparation is left on a kitchen surface (like mail, bookbag, purse, shoes, esp).

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i had sorta mentioned this earlier in a comment so that is how RA knew about it. i am going with a group of doctors and nurses to work in a rural place in a clinic. no, i am not in the medical profession they just heard that i had experience in rural projects like this and asked me to go. i have done similar projects in other countries. i have worked in china a couple of times, west africa a couple of times and my primary place to work is Honduras. i was looking at my passport and i have gone there 11 times in the last 10 years to do projects. i will eat pizza prior to going for sure!

message 15: by Gåry! (last edited Jan 15, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) I think this guy's shoring up the internet for him:

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I see a big red x, Gary. :(

message 17: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments moi aussi

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments V. cool, Kevin! I've done local mission work - in the rural areas of Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, but that's it. I'd love to do that fulltime out of the country. I looked into the Peace Corps, but got a bit weirded out when the application asked me to list any relatives who've worked for the fed government or are in the military... apparently exclusionary criteria.

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Thanks, Gary! Cool pic. Now I can laugh at your humor. :)

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments re: gary's pic

"hey bro - can ya drop a CAT5 cable down here to me"

message 21: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Holy SHIT! Somebody get those folks some infrastructure!

Here's a cool development group I heard about on NPR today:

http://www.ibsa-trilateral.org/

South-south cooperation is a really good idea.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

My niece is on a two year stint in Senegal for the Peace Corps. The last time I saw her blog she was at 14 scorpions killed, and 1 near miss.

message 23: by Kevin (last edited Jan 16, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments heidi - i just do short term stuff as i can. as i have said, i am self funded and this kind of commitment can cost alot. i do it because i love people. here is a link to one of my fav pics from several years ago

http://www.boilerblues.com/photos/gui...

message 24: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Heehee, you definitely don't look flowery in that pic, Kev!

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://www.boilerblues.com/photos/gui...

i think i should have used this link

Books Ring Mah Bell Awesome, Kevin! Awesome.
(i'm jealous)

Safe travels and enjoy yourself a bit while you are there!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Have a great trip, Kevin! I've really enjoyed your humorous comments.
No, really. :D

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I know it can be v. expensive. I've had to pay my way on all the mission trips I've done - most of the cost going towards supplies and travel. It's been a long while since I've done it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat - esp. if someone else is paying my way... and they let me bring Robby along with me.

message 29: by Kevin (last edited Jan 16, 2009 04:54AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thanks to all. i will try to post a HEY at some point and update my reading as i have time to read lots on the travel to and from. i am going to start with
City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre

and i am taking my crosswords books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.