Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

OFF Topic > Other Authors and Lit-adjacent topics

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I thought I would put this thread out here for some of the "overflow" stuff that has nothing to do with NL. Sometimes I think of something I want to talk about or some other authors/books but they aren't appropriate for the other threads. Alice, if this isn't ok I'll delete it.

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I love Renaissance Faires! The two that were normally done in our area were both canceled last year. The one was replaced by an "Arts Walk" and the other one couldn't get the permits they needed. I think that they are being overrun with teenagers and young adults that are into the "Dungeons and Dragons" fantasy type stuff and they are not authentic anymore. I think a lot of people don't like them because they are more interested in the history and not the fantasy.
Interestingly enough, there is a place up north that is set up like a village and they have a restaurant that serves traditional foods/drinks from medieval times. It seems pretty authentic. You should check out their website.

http://www.camlann.org/

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I don't dress up or anything. I don't have a costume. But I love going to the faires. We're going to the Camlann Village tonight for our wedding anniversary (we haven't celebrated our anniversary alone since before our son was born). We are going to eat at the Bors Hede restaurant. We are both very excited.

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments Oh yeah, I'm very excited to try Meade tonight.

message 5: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments It was wonderful!! We had a great time. I had Fenberry Pie, buttered worts, fruits and greens and Crustade Lombard. "Himself" had Saumon En Tens De Nois and erbowle. And I had a bit of meade and then some muste. The appetizer, rastons, was amazing. It was so yummy. We were the only guests there. The hosteler played for us upon his lute.

It's a good 1.5 hour drive away so it was a long night but it was good to get away from it all and have such a lovely evening.

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I think it's cabbage and spinach lightly sauteed. It's really good.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments I think your medieval foode deserves a thread all on it's own Cassie ( just kidding) Love the worts and erbowles.....

message 8: by Djo (new)

Djo | 28 comments As a child I remember being really impressed by 'living museums' in England. I have no idea where it was (it was a school trip, which took the edge of it), but there was a village of 'rescued' houses (transplanted from one place and carefully reconstructed for the museum) complete with furniture from that period. There were also people dressed in period costume doing jobs of that era, carpentry, smithy, metal worker etc. It was fascinating, and that day has stuck in my mind for over 35 years!!

I guess England can be rather special the way it is steeped in history. I regularly drove past a castle nearly 1000 years old. I was born in a house that was started in the 15th Century. It's so easy to take it for granted. I had a right laugh at my teenaged niece and nephew when they came for a visit from New Zealand. They were impressed with Victorian houses, and couldn't get enough of castles. They were stunned by the amount of antiquity in the everyday life of England. They loved the fact that parts of Roman roads were still used.

It's interesting being in American and hearing the American slant on history. Although England may be rich in history, America is rich in heritage (on a personal level). I reckon most Americans I've met have told me where their ancestors came from, be it parents or generations back. I find that rather touching.

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Jan 18, 2009 06:11PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments Austalia is so 'new' ( well, that is, white Austalia is so new) that you do forget all the antiquity . Not that I was all that interested when I actually lived there of course. I just casually took for granted that Chester was Roman , for eg. And there was a Celtic cross in the square in our local market town. It was where we sat to eat our fish and chips . Oohh the sacrilege !

message 10: by Cassie (last edited Jan 19, 2009 12:48PM) (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I live in the Pacific Northwest and although the Native American history goes back for ages, the area is relatively young compared to other parts of the country. I remember being so amazed at the history of the East Coast because it goes back 400 years. I'm sure that must be really funny for you all. I have never been anywhere but Canada and the US. I love Eurpoean history though. Maybe that's why I like NL books, or since I've been reading them since I was young, maybe they are the reason I'm interested in European history.

message 11: by Barbara (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:37PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments Hi Cassie
I was just listening to a radio propramme about the difficulties of teaching Australian history ( here in Australia ) Kids find it boring in itself and they are sick to death of being taught the same thing over and over. I thought, yes, well, I can kind of see that,as there is only about 250 years of it, max.
Also, no revolutions -political, military OR cultural , a very dismal history of invasion and dispossession of Aboriginal peoples and a pretty hardscrabble line in convict ancestry. Not really the stuff to fire the imagination compared to European, or Asian history.
And the Aboriginal/White relations stuff is very, very touchy. The early missionary and governmental adminstrations focussed on taking children of mixed blood away from their families, literally from their mothers arms in some cases to educate them and bring then up 'white'. Usually this meant appenticing them or , in the case of girls, domestic service. Fully Aboriginal people were left alone, it being thought they would die out anyway. Awful stuff was done, dreadful exploitations and abuse. They are called the Stolen Generations and it only really stopped in the 1960's although by then it was not such complete paternalistic exploitation.
Of course one can only have total sympathy and collective shame over all that, and of course we all should do our utter utmost in terms of programmmes of assistance and everything possible,and only in culturally acceptable way too!
But it is almost impossible, at least for me, to sit back and find forgiveness, or even understanding for a man who has beaten his wife to death and raped a 2 year old to clain that he did it becuse his mother was one of the stolen generations. And If I, a 'bleeding heart heart white liberal' feel like that, you can imagine how the redneck element feels.
For me, I think, feminism outweighs cultural relativity and I cannot condone male violence against women and children because it is somehow culturally or ethnically sanctioned .
Goodness, have I got off topic!!!!
Hope I haven't been offensive

message 12: by Djo (new)

Djo | 28 comments No Barbara, you haven't been offensive. What was done to the Aborigines was offensive beyond belief ... along with all the other ethnic minorities the whites encountered as they explored the world. So many atrocities committed for so many different reasons, all of them a slur on mankind.

message 13: by Djo (new)

Djo | 28 comments To lighten the mood slightly ...

My father is a genealogist and has gained himself rather a good reputation for his work. He spent a long time tracing back various ancestors for Australians. It mainly involved finding out about the ancestor who had originally moved to Australia - were they a convict or not. That sort of stuff.

Anyway, there was one family who were extremely proud of their famous ancestor - a colourful character who was apparently the youngest son of some highly titled English aristocrat (I can't remember the full story) who left England for Australia as he was either caught in delicto flagrante with someone else's wife or had no hopes of inheriting anything. My Dad discovered that this chap was actually just an ordinary working class man who deserted his young family to go to Australia. Dad did a lot of double checking before he let the family know the sorry truth - he was almost tempted to tell them that he couldn't trace the man.

My father has also found some highly unusual names while doing research. Waswas and Snowflake are two men's names, but my favourite has to be a Victorian girl who name was Experience Tingle. How delightful - I wonder if she lived up to her name!

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Jan 19, 2009 11:27PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments Djo wrote: "No Barbara, you haven't been offensive. What was done to the Aborigines was offensive beyond belief ..."
It was the last half of the message I feared might have been offensive - the part about rape and beating to death. And female genital mutilation and purdah and acid thrown on faces and anything that men do to women and then insist that god said to do it. And that the rest of the world does little about because it is considered somehow OK for anything to be done to women if it is justified by the ruling ( male) ethnic culture

message 15: by Djo (new)

Djo | 28 comments I understand what you are saying about male violence towards women and children. There is no excuse and no reason - especially raping a toddler. I could say an awful lot about what I would like to do to an adult who rapes young children, but I'm sure it's how most people feel, so I won't. It certainly has nothing to do with forgiveness!!

However I do understand that when a child grows up in an atmosphere of violence and/or abuse, over time the boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable behaviour become blurred. The child becomes brainwashed. I was very close to someone who desperately wanted to be 'good' and was petrified of stepping over the boundary into 'bad' behaviour because he wasn't too sure where they were. He was fine long term - he became a lovely husband and one of the best fathers I have ever met. But his fear of 'going the wrong way' was heartbreaking to watch.

Sorry if that sounds a bit too vague, but a website isn't the best place for details!! I guess I am saying that I can have some sympathy with some cases, although forgiveness doesn't automatically come with understanding.

When I went through my phase of reading Greek mythology, I was delighted to read about the matriarchal societies. The only one I remember offhand was where the queen had a king for a few years, then had him sacrificed to the gods and selected a new one to take his place. Sounded good to me!!

message 16: by Barbara (last edited Jan 21, 2009 04:38AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments Djo wrote: "I understand what you are saying about male violence towards women and children. ."
Yes, I think the cases of abused children going on, almost against their will, to be abusers is a complex one and most certainly one should be careful about casually apportioning blame. I taught social workers for years and was counsellor myself too ,so I do have some pretty relevant experience ,albeit at one remove as it were, never having been abused or abusing personally.
I think your statement about understanding not necessarily commanding forgivenmess is both wise and brave. I just can't/won't cast a net of forgiveness over abusers, on the basis of having had hard lives. After all, many do go on NOT to be abusers. In addition, I think I find the male violence aspect particularly repellant, couched, as it often is, in terms of 'natural' heirarchy and god-given, and/or culturally sanctioned rights .
Well, I think I might stop ranting now and go to my extremely non-violent bed......

message 17: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments Ahhh, we just got back today from a night away from it all. "Himself" and I took a trip to a cabin at a state park and left the kids home with grandma/babysitters. It was really nice. I did forget to bring my book. I'm still reading "A Wayside Inn". How was your weekend?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Wondered where you were. Glad you had a nice trip. My husband got up at three am and flew off so I am trying not to think of too much scary stuff, LOL!
Barbara has been sending out some great NL questions for us.
Glad you are back Cassie.

Cassie wrote: "Ahhh, we just got back today from a night away from it all. "Himself" and I took a trip to a cabin at a state park and left the kids home with grandma/babysitters. It was really nice. I did forge..."

message 19: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) Just dropping by to say hi and wish you luck with your book group.
I like the idea of "Roll Call". I may copy it at my group. (g)

Below is a list of books by Norah Lofts which I read a long time ago:
_Madselin_
_Requiem for Idols_
_Pargeters An Historical Novel of Seventeenth-Century England_
_Lady Living Alone_
_The Lute Player_

Best wishes,
Joy H., moderator of
"Glens Falls (NY) Online Discussion Group"
Below is a link to the group:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

message 20: by Barbara (last edited May 27, 2010 01:37AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments I was just thinking what a good idea this 'off -topic' topic is. We are most of us guilty of going off topic I know - for instance Food and Meals in NL right now.

I might be quite wrong, but it seems to me that when there has been two or more entries completely off topic, it starts to brings the thread to a premature end. Or of course it may that is was petering out anyway,and that's why way we start to wander.
Anyway, just a thought ....

message 21: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I am wondering if "The Haunting-Is Anyone There?" has any other name. Anyone know?

message 22: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 612 comments Cassie, you may be running two titles together. The Haunting of Gad's Hall is also called Haunted House. Hauntings [plural:]: Is Anyone There? is a collection of short stories and to the best of my knowledge has no other title. (And Shirley Jackson's The Haunting was filmed as The Haunting of Hill House and seems to be generally known by the latter title. :) ) Sorry if I've just told you things you already knew!

message 23: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaB) | 1361 comments Thanks for asking, Peggy! Yes, I'm okay, but my good leg got hit by a car door, and has kept me in bed. Also, our electric keeps going out (old mobile home) and it's driving the computer (and me) crazy.

Re: the discussion above, my source for NL titles lists "Hauntings" (1974) with a second title, "Is There Anybody There".

"The Haunting of Gad's Hall" (1978) is given a second title, "Haunted House." Sorry if I'm repeating here.

message 24: by Rita (new)

Rita | 61 comments I'm glad work is still going on re the map. Think I told you that once I started a cross reference about the characters or their descendants, or ancestors, who reappear in different books, and each appearance tells us a little more about them, but always seeming to be in the same line of work or connected to the same place.
Must be an English thing. I think Americans are different. The ancestors of my husband and myself were always farmers, but I was in finance and he in the oil business. (Oh heck, that's too hi-falutin'. Actually I was a loan officer and he worked at a refinery.)

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 123 comments Sylvia, thank you. I am much better and back home now. Cassie showed me the map of Norah Lofts' country that someone sent her. I'd like to get a copy of it from her. I have read parts of The Queens of England, and a good many of her other books. I am having a hard time wading through the one about Richard's foray into the Holy Land. Berengeria is an interesting character. I guess that book is called The Lute Player.

message 26: by Rita (new)

Rita | 61 comments Yes, Sylvia. I lost my work when I moved and downsized and now I would have to re-read. But I want to ask help. What book of NL's was it, where a character was described in this way: - Paraphrasing- It was not that she was especially good person, but when you were with her, and saw yourself reflected by her, you were more nearly the person you wanted to be.
Some of NL's lines were so perfect. This is not exactly as she wrote it, but as close as I can remember

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 123 comments She really had an amazing grasp of human nature and created such believable characters!

message 28: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 612 comments Something that I'd like t see and that we could all work on, as many of us did a few months ago with locations for the map, is an NL Who's Who. Each of us could take one or more books and make a card (or some kind of note) for each charater as she goes through, including any family connections mentioned for that chareacter. Then we'd have to collate these and move all the notes for each character to one coherent paragraph. I've seen similar works for on William Faulkner and Agatha Christie. What do you all think?

message 29: by Sylvia (last edited Sep 12, 2010 01:26PM) (new)

Sylvia (SylviaB) | 1361 comments Rita, I have no idea who that character might be. Your question reminds me of Barbara's recent riddles. I couldn't think of them either.

Is what Mary is suggesting similar to the research you had done and lost? I think we could get it done as a group. Where to post the info. might be a problem as it is with the maps. The Clevely Map is on our group photos page but you can't make it big enough to see it. My nephew Eric, a silent member on here, says GoodReads will not post anything bigger than 400x1000 pixels (? something like that). We might have to share our info by mail.

I ran across some NL humor yesterday and was tempted to make a thread just to gather her humorous writings, but would I be wrong in saying that humor is either rare in her books or is very subtle?

From "Bless This House", Deborah Fulger speaking, "Sometimes when Aunt Hester droned on about it ['Hard work never killed anybody.') I used to think to myself - Maybe not, but hearing about it is killing me! Of corrse I daren't say it, and of course nobody ever did die of boredom or Aunt Hester would have been knee deep in corpses." LOL!

Sherry, so glad you're back and better!

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 123 comments Thank you so much. Yes, I think NL's humor is subtle. I remember reading that passage and not recognizing the humor of it.

message 31: by Rita (new)

Rita | 61 comments Mary' suggestion about gathering info on recurring characters in NL's books is what I had going on. I did it under the heading of the family name, after I tried doing it according to the place, that is, Mortiboy's or the Hawk in Hand, which really did not work out. I have one more place to look for my work on that. I am sure I did not throw it away. Right now I keep thinking about that character I mentioned in my last post. Believe it or not, I have a rather high IQ, all tho I'm uneducated, but I am scattered, which is to say I get distracted. I'm afraid I'm one of those pitiful people who could be on the verge of a cure for cancer and then! oh, look, there's a butterfly!

message 32: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaB) | 1361 comments Rita, it seems like your work under the family name could result in family trees as the Tallboys tree that NL gave us in Knight's Acre (at least in the Trilogy pb. Did you also include the servants, farm workers, priests, etc. in each family history? Or maybe those would work better in the places' research. The laborers were recurrent characters, too. Maybe we'll all have to take a family or one character at a time as Mary suggested, write out all the info and where it can be found, then have one very organized member with the time to organize all of it.

I get very distracted, too! I have a miniature yellow road sign by my pc that says, "CAUTION! Senior Moment in Progress."

message 33: by Sylvia (last edited Sep 13, 2010 04:32PM) (new)

Sylvia (SylviaB) | 1361 comments Rita, I think I found your character search from Message 53! I wasn't searching for it, but just happened on it. It has to be Luella Mayfield. In "Bless This House", Episode IV, The Governess, Chapter VIII, Deborah Fulger says, "I never put my finger exactly on what it was she did to people and for people, but I think I was near it when I concluded that she was a little like a flattering looking-glass. She was always herself and allowed you to be yourself, but in her presence, under her response to you, you were a little more how you would like to be."

message 34: by Rita (new)

Rita | 61 comments Sylvia, yes~ thats it. Now I can go on to something else. Thanks. I wish we all had someone in our circles of acquaintances like that.

message 35: by Barbara (last edited Sep 19, 2010 12:39AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments For some reason I seem not to have got any of this thread, tho of course I am supposedly following it like all NL threaeds. So, I have not seen Mary;s idea of

" an NL Who's Who. Each of us could take one or more books and make a card (or some kind of note) for each charater as she goes through, including any family connections"

I think that's a great idea, and would love to be involved. I have been thinking recently that we all seem to have dwindled rather, but maybe I'm just not getting meassages - I think I will have a search through!

message 36: by Rita (new)

Rita | 61 comments Hi Barbara, me, too; that is, thinking that recently we all seem to have dwindled. Thanks for giving me something to call this idea of cross referencing. A NL Who's Who. I did mine according to families. Like the BAnking Thorleys, and the Fennels, and so on. I am intimidated by the thought of starting all over. Do you think the best way is each have a different book, and each have a different family. For instance, I read a book, jot down all characters info, and I take the Hattons as my project, so I keep that info. You have the Thoroughgoods, and I send you any reference as to that family, and say, Sylvia has the Whymarks of the Hawk in Hand and I send any info in my book about them.
I'm not married to this way, and I'm open to any other suggestions.
I'd like to do this.

message 37: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaB) | 1361 comments Ha, ha, Cassie - we're just glad you get time to read at all!

Rita, that sounds good to me except "where" will we send our info to each other? Would it be too much for us to have a separate thread here for each major family and their minor characters? For example, I would start a thread on the Whymarks, and when I finished my book, I would say that's all I have, and then others could add what they garnered from their books on the Whymarks. Then maybe everybody could make their own family trees or do what they like with the info. Our research would also be preserved here, wouldn't it? It's the organizing of all the info that stymies me!

message 38: by Rita (new)

Rita | 61 comments Sylvia, yes, I am not sure how to get the info to each other. I do not know much about computers and the internet, and would not have the faintest idea how to set up a thread. Remember, I was born when Herbert Hoover was president! I"ve been congratulating myself about learning to email and pay my bills online. That's about all I can do. All my skills are so last century.
And Cassie, I can relate to your feeling about a million kids. I raised 7 --3 of which I gave birth to. I've been thru just about everything regarding raising kids. No time for myself. Even if I went to the bathroom it seemed someone was wanting to come in and sit on my lap. I used to sacrifice my sleep time in order to get in reading. These days I can read just as long as my old eyes can hold out. All night if I feel like it. There's no one I have to get up for, no one to take to school or Little League practice, no one saying "Sugar, turn out the light. I got to get up early tomorrow."
Sorry- got side tracked. Just meant to say, someone tell me what to do and how, and I'm on it.

message 39: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 612 comments What I had in mind for the Who's Who is that each of us could take one book and reread it, making a notecard for each character of any importance whatsoever. (That may mean EVRRY character, since someone who merely pops up or passes through in one book may reappear in a larger role in another.) I envision a card as looking rather like this:

BORAGE, Jonathan ("Jon"). Son of Martin and ___ Shepley Borage, after the death of his father he was taken from school and apprenticed to his uncle, Francis Shepley, who "didn't hold with" education and thus prevented Jon from following his love for learning Jon fell in love with Elizabeth Rawley but was also prevented from marrying her. After Francis's death, Jon asked his aunt for what was due him and left, never to be seen or heard from again.

Bless This House: "The Apprentice"

If each person could email her "cards" to whoever agrees to collate them, I think we could put together a book! And I think Rita's family trees would be a major section. The faulkner Who's Who that I mentioned has both an alphabetical directory, with a brief description of each character and the names of the works he or she appears in, and a section of familty trees of the Sartorises, Compsons, Snopeses, etc. Would we be biting off too much>

message 40: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaB) | 1361 comments Sounds to me like a great contribution to the works of NL. And Mary, your plan sounds workable to me. Your summary "card" on Jon already sounds exciting. May I suggest that you put something in there about Jon making the building plans and parnering with his uncle on the carpentry of Merravay? Or would that make the entry too long? Does the information for each character need to be limited to one 3x5 card?

Rita, I foster parented 12 children, and I know what you mean about getting chased down even in the bathroom! Someone was always knocking. Like you, I could now read all night if my eyes would cooperate.

I wonder if we should start a separate thread regarding the Who's Who project? Maybe Barbara or someone else who knows how could even transfer the ones here, like Mary's, over to it??? (It seems to be a topic now.)

message 41: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 612 comments Sylvia, the "card" I did for Jon was just a sample or at most a model of how I envisioned entries. I agree that it should include the fact that Jon was one of the builders of Merravay. I think, too, that the length of an entry would depend to a great deal on the importance of the character and the number of books he/she appears in.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a great idea. I shall open a new thread if someone hasn't already done so as Families, does that sound good? Since I am still not back to par I would like to take only Lady Alice who haunted the Lower Road on her black stallion.

Alice

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 123 comments Ok, Barbara, I looked at the link, and it bothers me. I don't know how I must proceed from here.

message 44: by Barbara (last edited Dec 04, 2010 10:49PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments Hi Sherry - Once I'd looked I didn't think for one minute you sent it, , it jsut looked like a scam.

I dont know HOW they do it, especaily as we are not even in each others address books! It had your name as Sherry Bnc, not the full name by the way.

I think the way to proceed is to contact your ISP as quick as poss and tell them about it ,I think it is their responsibilty to ensure your mail box is not hijacked in this way .

How horrible, I do hope it works out OK. Something similar once happened to me with a virus years ago now but to this day one friend's (not very forgiving ) husband is rather snarky about it.

message 45: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 123 comments Snarky people usually get it back. I have emailed my ISP and asked about it. I had already deleted the original, and it is gone from delete file. Something a little similar happened a while ago, and Cassie told me to set up a new email password. This quepasa thing is new since then. Some people simply have nothing better to do with their time, I guess.

message 46: by Barbara (last edited Dec 05, 2010 04:06AM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments Yes,hopefully a new password will do it . I don't know hwo these thing work but I would think it is probably some sort of mass scanner of email addresses rather than a person. Better because less personally targeted somehow . I wonder if the fact that I got one and we are not in each other address books suggests it may have come via some entity using Goodreads perhaps?

message 47: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 173 comments I got the Quepasa thing too but I didn't look into it. I also didn't get an email from you Barbara, unless it went into the spam folder which I delete daily without looking at it. I did check my sent mail to make sure it didn't get sent out to my contacts and it appears that it did not.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 1903 comments I didn't send a private email Cassie, only the ones we've exchanged on the Goodreads friends board. So prob we will hear no more .. I think these operators work on the basis that if one per cent of the people they target send money or subscribe or somethign it's worth their while

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I have had my yahoo email hacked numerous times and once by Russians. I know because the email they sent out from my account bounced back to me. My cousin got onto some pharmacy in Canada which sent out a email stealing virus to everyone in my addy book on yahoo which is why I deleted my entire addy book and quit using that account for a few years. The account is ten years old. I had an Olde Curiosity email account totally stolen and never got it back as yahoo did not care. Sorry to hear you all are going thru this. Its such a pain.

My cousin did tell me that FB was the one where the email addy worm came from. She said it happened when you do those fun little quizzes. Now I am afraid to open anything from her and only reply to her on FB where I am also more cautious. One last December crashed my computer. Some of you may remember when that happened to me. For some reason hackers love the month of December to send these things out so be extra cautious. I have been hacked from goodreads too!!!

message 50: by MaryC (last edited Aug 15, 2013 12:58PM) (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 612 comments If there is anyone here who hasn't read Agatha Christie's Endless Night (or at least seen the movie), I enthusiastically recommend it. The NL fans who have read it will understand why, but I can't explain further without posting a spoiler! (If you HAVE read it and want to respond, please respond to me specifically at aida1200@hotmail.com. If you've read it and don't know why I'm recommending it to NL fans, please let me know and I'll try to explain subtly. :) )

« previous 1