The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > The Chronicles of Narnia

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leila (last edited Jan 15, 2009 03:20AM) (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) I just begun to read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because the whole series has been on my to-read list forever. I love fantasy and adventure and I loved the movies (the Disney ones - the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian).

Anyway, I was wondering - what order do you think one should read the Chronicles of Narnia? When I first begun, I had it hard to 'get into' the Magician's Nephew so I changed to LWW (too lazy to spell it out again). However, I'm not sure which order I should continue afterwards (go back to Magician's Newphew or jump to Prince Caspian)

Did you read the order they were published or the chronological order?

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read them in the order they were published because my book was a "complete" chronicle. Haveing done that, I don't even think the Magician's Nephew is neccesary at all. If you enjoy the books, and the world he has created, by all means go back and read it. If it's too much of a struggle, I don't think you'll be missing much by skipping that one. 2 of my 3 children just didn't read it, but enjoyed all the others.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kuckbaby) I read the books in chronological order.

But I don't think it really matters if you read it first or not. It's just a good story.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I read LWW first and I think the Magician's Nephew came fifth or sixth...it's been awhile and my copy has sadly left my bookshelf and my library's wikipedia is broken or something so I can't look it up. Anyway, one or the other intended order will work. I believe they were written chronologically but originally published in the mixed up order. But, I could be wrong. That said, I don't thnk it matters too much which way you do it. TMN is one of my favorites, so I wouldn't skip it. ;)

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I have the complete chronical as well-The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. You don't have to read The Magician's Nephew to enjoy the other books. This story only gives the background of how Narnia was created, but it doesn't provide any background information to the other stories. In other words, don't force yourself if you're not enjoying it.

message 6: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) I was a bit unsure because I would like to read the beginning as well but I was thinking that perhaps it would be more enjoyable to read LWW and the rest first and then go back to MW. Kinda like reading Lord of the Rings first and then go and read the Hobbit.

Abigail - they were published in a mixed up order. I'm not sure whether I should for example read Prince Caspian before The Horse and His Boy because HHB takes place before but was published after The Silver Chair.

message 7: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I loved the movie, so wonder if it is at least as good or less? I know some will also think the contrary but for people who loved the movie....?

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I think they're both good in their own way, but I enjoyed the movies a bit more. I just think the movies were really well done and did justice to the books. That's pretty rare.

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have read all of these, and so have my children, but I have to admit... I never really liked them. I read them because I was "supposed to", but like Jackie said, I just wasn't captivated. I LOVED the movies, though. That almost never happens to me.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (tigergirl) | 45 comments I read The Lion and the Witch and the Wardrobe and seen the movie. Enjoyed both of them I have not seen or read Prince Caspian. I will have to read the book sometime . :O)

message 11: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) I actually read them last summer because they were on my shelf for so long and because it seemed that I was hearing from everyone that I should at least try to read them.

I loved them--found them very enjoyable, especially reading them as a "grown-up," so to speak. I was able to see what an excellent fantasy story it would be for children as well as take note of all the Christian allegory and symbolism there is. I read them in chronological order, but I think if you like them it won't matter which way you read them.

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (librarymom23) I have read the first three books of the series. I intend to finish reading the collection, but I have loaned them to my niece. She want to read them for school. I hope to get the collection back and then read them yet this year.

message 13: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I read the Magician's Nephew first. My favorite in the series was the Voyage of the Dawn Treader!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I read these books long ago, when the set was in the order of how they were published, not the "chronological" order that seems so popular these days. I think I prefer it in publication order.

My favorites in the series are The Horse and His Boy and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Easily my least is The Last Battle.

message 15: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica | 49 comments I'm in the middle of these. I just finished the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and loved it! The ending and its journey was so beautiful that I was jealous.

message 16: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 571 comments In fact The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the book that got me so obsessed with reading.
My mother bought it for someone before I could read and the cover intrigued me so I was determined that one day it would be mine.
It was the first book I ever read in the series and I read it many times before I read the others. (I would chain read - get to the end turn back to page one) so even though I have read the series in both orders I can't really judge.
Both The Magician's Nephew and Horse and his Boy are not necessary for the series but after LWW they are my favourites.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I re-read The Horse and His Boy last night. Charming as always.

It was sort of like a nice palate-cleanser (the last two novels I read were not much).

message 18: by Beth Ann (new)

Beth Ann (bagrover) If you are at all into audio books you should check out the new Focus on the Family audio books. They do it like a radio theater show. They are really fantastic.

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments The Chronicles of Narnia is my all-time top favorite set of books ever. EVER! Ever, ever, ever!

However, I started reading them to myself when I was in second grade (LWW was the first “chapter” book I ever read) and it was my enjoyment of those books that sparked a lifelong passion for reading. Now I’m 30-years-old and to this day, whenever I reread any of the books in the series, I find myself focusing on what it can mean and what can happen when a person dedicates their entire life to feeling passionate about the same thing.

That being said, I’m never surprised when I hear adults (or teens who read like adults) who’ve only just read the books for the first time say they aren’t terribly impressed by them. Even though I am admittedly biased, I can admit that they’re not even close to being “the best” of the genre. But what can’t be denied is the “staying” factor, they’ve been around for a very long time and are obviously not losing momentum. New people are still “discovering” Narnia all the time.

But I do believe that these books really are best enjoyed through the eyes of a child. The potential for imagination is endless!!!

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think you are right Beth. Had I read these as a child, and I was an avid reader, so have NO idea why I didn't, I would probably love them. There are SO many books and series I just love that really aren't that great, but reading them as a child brought me such joy. I can acknowledge they aren't that well written, but it doesn't keep me from feeling happy just holding the books in my hands. Especially sharing them with my children.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments Yup, yup, yup.

And I forgot to mention...I'm a publication order reader.

I have 2 complete sets...one paperback that Santa gave me when I was in sixth grade--it's falling apart, but I can't get rid of it, because...

...my other set are hardcovers that Santa gave me when I was in 10th or 11th grade and they are in chronological order. It drives me B-O-N-K-E-R-S!!!

I store them on the shelf in publication order, even though the chronologically ordered numbers look out of whack on the shelf. It bugs me every time I let myself think about it.

But at least they seem to be following publication order when they're releasing the movies. That makes me feel justified in my craziness!!!

JG (Introverted Reader) I think it was my second-grade teacher who read LWW aloud to us. We all loved it. I think I read them all a few years after that. And then when I worked in a library in high school, I re-discovered them and re-read them, this time noticing the bigger Christian themes that I had missed as a child reading a good story. I've read them all at least one other time since then, and I take something different away from them every time. You guys are probably right that you really just fall in love with them as a child, but it's still hard for me to understand when people don't love them! :-)

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments I read LWW first when it was assigned reading in school; I guess I was 10 or 11. When the movie came out in the last couple years I went back and read the Magician's Nephew and the next 3 books that followed but found I wanted to take a break because they started to sound the same. I still haven't gone back to them but am hoping to soon.

I loved the MN-I liked seeing where the random lamppost came from and in all the books I love the Christian allegory and themes.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments I read LWW first when it was assigned reading in school; I guess I was 10 or 11. When the movie came out in the last couple years I went back and read the Magician's Nephew and the next 3 books that followed but found I wanted to take a break because they started to sound the same. I still haven't gone back to them but am hoping to soon.

I loved the MN-I liked seeing where the random lamppost came from and in all the books I love the Christian allegory and themes.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read up to "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and intend to read the rest in the near future.