Movies We've Just Watched discussion

January 2009: Ozu > The End of Summer (Yasujiro Ozu, 1961)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Jan 18, 2009 09:46PM) (new)

Phillip | 9962 comments The End of Summer (Yasujiro Ozu, 1961)

This captivating film from Ozu’s late period could be classified as a romantic comedy with dramatic overtones. Several stories are woven into the narrative, which focuses mainly on two central romantic relationships. Setsuko Hara leads a large cast of Ozu regulars in a script brimming with surprises and unforgettable images.

Yasujiro Ozu started making films in the late 1920s and continued until his death in the early 1960s but few of his movies are in color. The End of Summer boasts a symphony of rich (but highly controlled) hues from beginning to end. The classic transition scenes created in his films to shuffle the viewer from place to place present a beautiful kind of geometric folk art to frame the characters. The bold tones in The End of Summer reflect the passions and heated concerns coursing through the cast.

The End of Summer was shot in Osaka and has a different feel than the director’s urban classics made in Tokyo. Cicadas pulse throughout, offering up a chorus of friction. A father’s children chide him for seeing his old mistress; a young couple falls slowly in love; another daughter dates an American; daughters question the validity of their father’s parentage; boys toss stones into the current; the love between three sisters courses the film like a river, repeatedly displayed throughout to represent the stream of life. This is Ozu the mad chronicler at his finest.

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments I will add it to my list, nice review!

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9962 comments thanks meg....kind of lonely out here in ozu land....

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments It takes so long to get the dvds. I wish they had some on instant watch. I was going to write to netflix and let them know the directors we pick and hope that that would influence their selections for instant watch.

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9962 comments it's weird it takes long for you to receive them. i put it at the top of my queue, it's there in a day...

instant watch much be nice though....like going to the video store - you bring it home without leaving home.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Well part of the reason is that if our VT store doesn't have it they import it from anywhere in the US and that holds up things because then it gets shipped back to whereever it comes from.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments I just finished watching this movie and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way Ozu dealt with old vs. new. Especially in the part where the widowed daughter chooses not to follow tradition and marry the man picked for her. She chooses to remain in the lifestyle that she is happy in, a single woman raising her son. It is sublty done. I also loved the part that whenever she called herself an old woman she had to pay her sister money. Of course her sister wanted money if she only thought it but didn't say it out loud, or if she was going to say it and stopped before she did.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments So Phillip, Good Morning is next, have you seen it?

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Jan 28, 2009 10:58PM) (new)

Phillip | 9962 comments i think i've seen good morning three times. watch out for the little boys in the movie. it's a little too easy to fall in love with them. especially the younger one...i don't want to give anything else away, so i'll just wait until you've seen it.

message 10: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments OZU is sneaking up on my list but there always seems to be another film in the way:( I must begin watching these films soon, so thanks for the great reviews!!