European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > The Kitchen Boy: Chapters 1 - 11

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss chapters 1 through 11 here.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I started this morning!
It's really good so far! Draws you in right from the prologue!
I'm excited to read this one. I've always been interested in the Romanovs - I don't know much about Russian history.

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments **THE ONLY POTENTIAL SPOILER IN THIS POST IS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO THE ROMANOVS (HISTORICALLY)**

I flew through this book in a couple of days and really liked it. The descriptions are so vivid that it feels like you're there. What's amazing is that you know the tragedy that's going to occur (and well, even if you didn't know before picking up the book, Alexander keeps referring to the doomed dates and the 23 stairs throughout the novel which would give you a major hint), but the book is still suspenseful! I kept hoping that they would be rescued even though I knew they wouldn't be which is very much like The Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir (in that book you know what's coming too, but you can't help hoping that it won't).

I loved this book too because being from the perspective of some lesser known person who probably was really there (some "kitchen boy" of the tzar's), you get a really unique way of seeing all the main players up close - Nicholai, Alexandra, the girls, etc. - without feeling like the character (the kitchen boy) is completely made up and out of place. The interactions seemed natural, and the book seems really well-researched.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I'm on chapter 9 and I'm really enjoying it.
I agree - even though I know that they're going to be murdered, I keep hoping that their friends on the outside will rescue them...
The writing style is really effective - everything has an undertone of urgency.

It has a really narrow perspective - I like that. I've been interested in the Romanovs for a while now, but I hadn't found a book to read until now. It's nice to start with one that is focusing so closely on the last days. It makes me really interested to fill in the back story with additional books.
Would love some recommendations, if anyone has some!

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I loved The Flight of the Romanovs A Family Saga by John Curtis Perry. It talks a little bit about what happened leading up to the revolution, and then it focuses on all the Romanovs and how they fled (or didn't flee) Russia. Some of the various family members who are mentioned in passing in this novel are discussed thoroughly in that book. It's tragic what happened to some of the others as well (one horrible part is mentioned in this novel, but I think it's later on, so I won't mention it in this thread). Anyway, I would definitely recommend that book.

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera Mandy, Sara's recommendation is a great place to start, because it provides a well done, comprehensive overview of the entire Romanov clan from Alexander II to the most recent survivors. As I had indicated previously, this is my favorite period in history, because it is a critical turning point in Russian history in general. I've read many books on the subject and would recommend the following:

Alexandra, The Last Tsarina by Carolly Erickson
The Rasputin Files by Edward Radzinsky
King, Kaiser and the Czar by Catherine Clay
A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra, Their Own Story by Mironenko and Maylunas

The Kitchen Boy is part of a trilogy that Robert Alexander wrote. The other two books are Rasputin's Daughter and The Romanov Bride.

Happy Reading!

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I borrowed Flight of the Romanovs from the library a few months ago, but didn't get a chance to read it before it was due back (couldn't re-check because it had a hold on it.)
I'll have to try it again!

Sera, thanks for all the recommendations! I'll add them to me 'to-read' list!

I'm on chapter 15 and dying to finish The Kitchen Boy. It's really good.