The American Civil War discussion

Lincoln > Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Given that this year is the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth, I am going to start a Lincoln thread for this group. I'll begin by mentioning that there are 60 new books expected this year on the topic of Lincoln. Keep up if you can. Harold Holzer will be lecturing at the Smithsonian Resident Associates program at the end of January. He will be discussing his new book, Lincoln: President-elect. I haven't read it, but am planning to do so before the lecture (or at least to begin it). Has anyone in the group read it yet?

message 2: by Joe (last edited Jan 15, 2009 06:15AM) (new)

Joe (blues) | 14 comments Yes, I just finished reading it. I posted my short review yesterday.

I really enjoyed it. It was my first in-depth reading of Lincoln's time as President-Elect. The read has encouraged my interest in a more detailed account of Lincoln's secret swing through Baltimore in The Baltimore Plot: The First Conspiracy to Assassinate Abraham Lincoln by Michael J. Kline. But I must first get through Jon Meacham's American Lion.

I would love to see a list of Lincoln books that are scheduled to be published this year. Maybe I'll venture on over to Amazon and see if I can come across something.

message 3: by Peter (last edited Jan 22, 2009 03:40PM) (new)

Peter | 11 comments I recently finished Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President, published by CSPAN books. It's a collection of essays based on interviews from a range of historians. Some of the essays were a bit fluffy, e.g. a few based on people who collect Lincoln memorabilia, while others were more substantive or biting. I get the sense that not all the historians within this volume would get along at a party. I would have liked to see more balance. Overall, an enjoyable read.

I've also started getting into Burlingame's two volume, Abraham Lincoln: A Life. I predict this will be taken casually, based on his sheer size.

message 4: by KM (new)

KM | 1 comments Hello.

I'm glad I found this group. The Civil War has been a hobby of "mind".

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen John Stauffer gave a presentation today about his book, Giants: The Parallel Lives of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. The book sounds interesting, though the author underestimates how much Lincoln readers know about Frederick Douglass. Most of the people in the room were shaking their heads when the author asserted that most people over 50 don't know who Frederick Douglass is. Ha. Laughable.

message 6: by Peter (last edited Jan 23, 2009 02:52PM) (new)

Peter | 11 comments anyone see this brief debate?

DiLorenzo peaks my interest; mainly to investigate the merits of his arguments, i.e. are they contrarian simply to be controversial? Are they legitimized by standing up to cross examination?

Has anyone here read either of his Lincoln books?

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen I've only read the DiLorenzo chapter in the C-Span book that you referenced earlier. I think many of his views of Lincoln are quite twisted. I mean, he takes events we all know about and twists them into a new dark meaning that I would dispute.