Hard Case Crime discussion

Dead Street?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone picked up the Spillane/Collins hybrid? Any thoughts? I know I want to like it, but Collins last few new works (like The Last Quarry) haven't grabbed me, and these posthumuous collaborations generally leave me cold. (I.e. Poodle Springs and Into the Night [Woolrich/Block]).

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy (andys) Hated it. Noir in a senior's retirement community. Not very gripping, plus it takes forever to get to its central plot, moving as slowly as a senior at a Gray Panthers' social.

message 3: by Cullen (new)

Cullen Gallagher | 1 comments I actually thought it was great! Lots of clever allusions to Spillane's earlier work, with a decidedly "retirement" twist. Something wonderful about a hardboiled description of sitting in a rocking chair.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hurm. I still haven't seen it at any of the local bookstores ... the Hard Case seems to have dried up with the November releases around here ... Need to find one that has it and read the first chapter or so...

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (andys) The first chapter is posted on the Hard Case Crime website. Go to:

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/books_bi...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I forgot the opening chapters are up on the site...

I still don't know ... it manages to veer from almost parody in its opening to some tense prose and then to just OK in the space of a few pages...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I finally found and read it. On the whole, I liked it. No, it's not as visceral as Spillane's early work, in fact the only real "on screen" violence is in the final few chapters written by Collins, but I think a lot of that is addressed in the afterword (which alone almost makes it worthwhile to pick up, just for the insight into Spillane's last years). Spillane wasn't writing hot-blooded anymore, he was leisurely in his writing. It shows. It'ss not white hot. I think if you go in expecting exactly the same Spillane of I, the Jury you will be disappointed. But the same could be said of The Killing Man in the late-80s when it came out.

What I found interesting was the feeling of nostalgia and loss that permeates it, and which is lost in the Spillane chapters. And this sense of stories within stories, as a lot of things are told three times removed from their original source.

As if Tony Hillerman had abandoned the Southwest for New York ... (the closest comparison I could find.)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I re-read it and put together a more complete review: http://www.popthought.com/display_col... over in my column. Check it out.