The Importance of Reading Ernest discussion

Group Business > Discussion Leader

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 219 comments Mod
Hello everyone. Hope you're enjoying the group thus far.

Thanks to Gio for her excellent work so far with Up in Michigan, and please hop in with any comments you have.

We need a discussion leader for Cat in the Rain. Any takers?

message 2: by Gio (new)

Gio (giobannaschlitz) has anyone picked this up?

message 3: by Arthur (new)

Arthur | 21 comments I know it is one of his short stories.

message 4: by Gio (new)

Gio (giobannaschlitz) brad, do you want to co-lead?

message 5: by Brad (new)

Are you up for The Sea Change, Preb? I've made you the discussion leader, tentatively. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

message 6: by Preb (new)

Preb Knudsen | 17 comments Hi Brad,
I'm up for The Sea Change. Absolutely!

Am I supposed to set up the discussion? Or will you handle that?

But as soon as I'm straight on that, I'll post a comment.

Best regards to all,
Preb

message 7: by Brad (new)

I'll set up the file and then you can go straight to the discussion, just make sure you don't start the discussion until we've had a chance to talk more about Night Before Battle. Thanks for volunteering Preb. I look forward to your discussion.

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
what happened to preb????

message 9: by Brad (new)

I've not seen him anywhere on here in ages.

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
i got an email from Stephen that he was cancelling his account on here, but I see he's not done it yet, yet he's been quiet.......
you have him listed as discussion leader, so, i wondered if you knew more about what he's up to then i do?????

message 11: by Joy (new)

Joy I like the new name of this group - very clever!

message 12: by Brad (new)

Yeah, it's a good one isn't it? Nice choice, Gio.

message 13: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 21 comments Hemingway didn't like his first name, btw. Thought it was too close to 'earnest' and he didn't care to be identified that way.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
ok, john, i am curious, where did you hear that?

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken Oh, darn. Thought I'd struck gold with a like-minded group of Hemingstein fans, but I see hopes for discussions of shorts and novels never really got off the ground. Durn the durn fog (as Twain, not Hemingway, once wrote).

message 16: by Brad (new)

We've never really tried the novels yet, Newengland. Today is our first day with The Sun Also Rises, so please stick around this month and help us make it happen.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken OK, I'll pitch in. I've read Sun a gazillion (Japanese for "a million") times, but not recently. I'll follow along with my book nearby and jump in now and again.

message 18: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 21 comments Gary wrote: "ok, john, i am curious, where did you hear that?"

I believe I read it in a couple different biographies on Hem, years back.

Wiki also has it: "Hemingway later claimed to dislike his given name, which he "associated with the naive, even foolish hero of Oscar Wilde's play The Importance of Being Earnest".[4:]"

Early Life section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_H...

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
Thanks, John, I've shared that all my "ernest" friends!!!

gary

message 20: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
John, have you read the bio by A.E. Hotchner? I actually met the man in person. He was so interesting,and soooo old, but sharp as a tack!

I love the new book he has out of pictures he took of Hem!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/00614...

message 22: by Gio (new)

Gio (giobannaschlitz) yay - glad my name got picked. now i must stumble over to the used book store to get a copy. its been a while since i've read it

message 23: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
start stumbling, honey! congrats!

message 24: by Allie (last edited May 01, 2010 11:07PM) (new)

Allie Baker | 14 comments Hi - can you please tell me how this works, do we all red a certian amount of pages and then discuss it? Am quite busy, but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for inviting me Gary! do you want more participants? If so, I can post it on my blog.
www.hemingwayproject.blogspot.com
Allie

message 25: by Brad (new)

You just read the book at your own pace, then come into our Sun Also Rises discussion thread, pick a topic and post whatever you want whenever you want. Just engage on your own terms Allie. I always mark certain threads with a spoiler warning in case there is someone who hasn't finished the book, thus avoiding annoying book wrecking comments.

message 26: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
Allie, please post this on your blog,and ask for members! yes! please! tell them to look for gary as one of the moderators,and they can join the discussion. Thanks!

message 27: by John (last edited May 02, 2010 07:23PM) (new)

John Karr (karr) | 21 comments Gary wrote: "John, have you read the bio by A.E. Hotchner? I actually met the man in person. He was so interesting,and soooo old, but sharp as a tack!

I love the new book he has out of pictures he took of Hem!..."

Haven't read that one, Gary, but have seen the name 'Hotchner' mentioned several times in relation to Hemingway.

I read several bios on Hemingway, but the one that really fascinated me was the one from the man Hemingway referred to as 'Maestro'. The guy who hitch hiked down from the north to the Keys to hang with EH because he wanted to be a writer and thought EH was the best. EH wrote of him in Esquire Magazine, "Monologue to the Maestro: A High Seas Letter"

His daughter pubbed the bio after 'Maestro' died, though it was something like 30 years after the time period in question!

I'm looking for it in Google but can't find it ...

Ah, here we go. Arnold Samuelson was Maestro. He wrote With Hemingway: A Year in Key West and Cuba
http://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-Year-...

Article:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid...

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken It's funny (and cruelly deceptive), but more than any other writer, Hemingway makes would-be writers think they can write.

(Hope that makes sense.)

message 29: by Allie (new)

Allie Baker | 14 comments A notice about the reading group is up on the blog, please feel free to add anything in the comments, this is a good group of Hemingway people! www.hemingwayproject.blogspot.com

message 30: by John (last edited May 04, 2010 10:57AM) (new)

John Karr (karr) | 21 comments Hemingway typically used a short declaritive style some might initially find 'easy.' But it picks up steam as the pages progress, and takes on a distinct rhythm. Before you know it, you're halfway through the book. And he uses 'and' to join thoughts better than anybody else I've read.

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jazzman) Hi Newengland,
I know what you mean about Hemingway.Too many would-be writers think that by writing something like "Nick liked the water. It was cold. Nick liked cold water," they have nailed the Hemingway style. Far from it, of course.

The same kind of thing happens among jazz pianists. The great autodidact, Erroll Garner,had the misfortune to be loved both by great jazz musicians and the public at large. As a result, his style of playing is imitated by more amateur pianist than anyone else. Of course, most of them,focus on only the most obvious facets of his playing.Professionals, recognize Erroll's genius and while some occasionally play like him(Cyrus Chesnut, Phineas Newborn Jr, Keith Jarrett, George Shearing, Jamal and Peterson)they do so in tribute rather than imitation of him.

I think many of us also are tempted to try to write like Faulkner. I plead guilty myself. It's hard not to want to write those gorgeous sentences that seem to go on forever, but are magically beautiful, profound and rhythmic.If we're smart,we soon learn not to mess with perfection.

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken Agree with both of you, J&J. And Joseph, you are a rare man indeed -- one who loves Faulkner and Hemingway equally! Me, I heart Hem's stuff but avoid Faulkner's convoluted diction like the plague. I think I have company, too.

message 33: by Joseph (last edited May 04, 2010 02:33PM) (new)

Joseph (jazzman) Yes you do, Newengland. A writer friend of mine told me recently,"Everybody talks about Faulkner but nobody reads him." I know that his style of writing has somewhat gone out of style.I also know that John Gardner was right ,when he criticized Faulkner for occasionally becoming so enamoured of his "chops" that he couldn't resist showing off. . . often to the detriment of a story.
Still, to me, there is so many wonderful facets of his writing that I'm willing to forgive him almost anything.Sure, he was known among his neighbors as "Count No Account," and he did once arrogantly announce that the best thing about winning awards was that he no longer had to work in the post office where he was at the beck and call of"anyone with a nickel for a stamp."
Still, there is magic in his writing. I once took an informal survey of some writer friends and the majority chose Faulkner as their favorite writer.
Besides ,in moments of special clarity, the great man himself warned us of the dangers of not being willing to"kill (our) babies." I bet he killed off a lot more than he let live. Best.

P.S.My publisher noted on the back of one of my books that my writing combined elements of both Hemingway and Faulkner. I know publisher's are given to exaggeration and even untruths, but I didn't speak to anyone for over a week.

message 34: by Brad (new)

I can't claim to love them equally, for I reserve my true love for Hemingway, but I like Faulkner immensely, and I've read a huge chunk of his work.

message 35: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
I too love hemingway, and also really like faulkner. also read a huge chunk of works. definately worth the challenge to read faulkner.