Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Aaaaaaa!!! The Year's Half Over!!!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki I can't believe it's July already!
Time sure flies when you've got a stack of books to read.

What's the best thing you've read so far this year?

message 2: by Melki (new)

Melki It's hard to choose just one, but Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter probably tops my list.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Melki wrote: "It's hard to choose just one, but Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter probably tops my list."

I am ready to read that one now, and definitely looking forward to it.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments No huge standout yet, but I'd say my most memorable has been The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Did love it!

message 5: by Annika (new)

Annika I've been hearing great things about Beautiful Ruins. After your recommendation too, I'll add that to my list:)

message 6: by Annika (new)

Annika I can't believe the year is flying by so quickly! I also can't believe the summer is going so fast. My break is already 1/2 over. I have to be back on August 8 and that's coming up so quickly.

I definitely haven't read as much as usual. I was in a pretty big reading slump earlier this year. Fortunately, I broke out of it, but it lasted a looong time so I don,t have as many books as usual to choose from. I think my favorite was American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's the first book by him I read(actually listened to) and just loved it. It made my commute go very quickly!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Hmm, I really like The Beginner's Goodbye. I liked most of the books I have read so far.

message 8: by Melki (new)

Melki I added The Fault in Our Stars to my list back in January and haven't gotten to it yet.
Maybe I'll try for this month as part of the Young Adult Genre Challenge.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments Fault In Our Stars and Beauitful Ruins are both working their way up the library list. Can't wait to get to them. I really liked, "Columbine," by Cullen for non fiction and, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," for fiction which is now in my top five or three of all time. I will definitely read that again and again. I wish I had read it sooner! I actually pondered starting it again already. I miss it! Those two were my five stars this year so far.

message 10: by Annika (new)

Annika I totally agree with both of those Leslie! They both made my best of list the year I read them. Absolutely excellent!

message 11: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I guess I'll have to pick The Passage so epic like.

However, Still Alice left a huge impression.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Out of the 115 books I have read in the first half of the year I think it has to be The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, I loved it.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Can I only pick one!!!

I recently finished The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes which I thoroughly enjoyed as well as Papillon, which was superb.

I also read Marvellous Hairy by Mark A. Rayner which was hysterical and The Long Dry by Cynan Jones which was a masterpiece (IMHO).

And I can't forget A Dog's Purpose which was superbly written and incredibly touching (never going to look at my dogs the same way again!).

And there was Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales which shows how fairy tales should be and on a more practical note I read Max Brooks's The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead so I can now confidently shout at the TV when watching The Walking Dead!

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa For me, mid-July translates into AARRRGGHH!!!!!

Out of 48 books so far this year, I've had a few favorites.

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt was just delightful.

Kindred, well, that left me rather speechless.

The Snow Child was a pleasant surprise.

The Orphan Master's Son was chilling and heartbreaking.

message 15: by Caroline (last edited Jul 13, 2012 03:58PM) (new)

Caroline  (caro7) The best non-fiction I've read so far this year was The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why.

The best fiction was She's Come Undone.

Unfortunately, I've read more duds so far than winners; I really disliked The Night Circus, and I expected to love it considering fantasy is my favorite genre. *shrug*

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Vicky wrote: "I have 2 favorites. The Passage and 11/22/63. I debated whether to read both. I just wasn't sure if I would like them but ended up really liking them."

I have just been given the proof copy of The Twelve which is the follow up to The Passage to read and review for Waterstones.

message 17: by Melki (new)

Melki I'm coming to get you, Lynne!

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "Vicky wrote: "I have 2 favorites. The Passage and 11/22/63. I debated whether to read both. I just wasn't sure if I would like them but ended up really liking them."

I have just been given the ..."

OMG!!!!!! I'm soooo jealous!

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Lynne, you are going to be a very popular person!

message 20: by Kel (new)

Kel | 34 comments I have read a lot of books this year, but the one that had the most impact on me was "Radical," by David Platt. It forces "comfortable Christians" to relook their priorities. The best-written book I read was "The Twelfth Prophecy," by Brock and Boede Thoene. It it the story of the Woman at the Well. Very well done.

message 21: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Kel wrote: "I have read a lot of books this year, but the one that had the most impact on me was "Radical," by David Platt. It forces "comfortable Christians" to relook their priorities. The best-written boo..."

Been forever since I've read a Brock and Boede Thoene book have to add that to my list.