Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Agents?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thersa (new)

Thersa Hello Esther,

I found "Agent Query" (link below)wonderful. You can type in what type of fiction you write (romance, literary...) and a whole list of possible agents comes up with details into what they like, how they want their submissions and a link to their sites. http://www.agentquery.com/

Also,"Preditors and Editors" has an extensive list of agents and lets you know if they are recommended or not (charge fees).
http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pu...

There was one more site I used that I can't remember right now.

I am living in Japan so I totally understand your woes of being isolated from the market. But the good news is, it really doesn't matter. If you write a good book they'll want to represent you no matter where you live. Yay!

Good luck and have fun sifting through all the fancy agents.

terrie

message 2: by Author (new)

Author (KilltheMessengerGemini) | 30 comments I used Writer's Market. It's a start.

message 3: by Thersa (new)

Thersa I'm not sure when the new editions come out. I bought Writer's Market for years and then I began to subscribe online. They have a very nice way to track your works and where you send them. I also believe if you subscribe online they are constantly updating markets and let you know what is new, non responsive, etc. I can't remember exactly but I don't remember it costing too much either.

terrie

message 4: by Thersa (new)

Thersa Oh, dear. I don't remember the code. But sounds like something they might do, or it could be new. I actually found it quite a bit of fun going through all the agents and publishers and learning the other side of writing (the business side). Have fun and I suggest a nice big thick notebook to keep all your notes in. It gets pretty overwhelming pretty fast.

Take care,

terrie

message 5: by Kristin (last edited Jan 16, 2009 06:33PM) (new)

Kristin | 76 comments If you are still looking for an agent, I would suggest looking into predators and editors. They not only have a list of some, but they also will let you know of some that have been found to be less than desired. Even in my book Secrets To Publishing and Marketing, I advise people to look there, among other places. The writers market is good, but anyone can be listed in there. Depending on what country you are from, there may be even better sites to look at.

KB

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 76 comments Thersa wrote: "Hello Esther,

I found "Agent Query" (link below)wonderful. You can type in what type of fiction you write (romance, literary...) and a whole list of possible agents comes up with details into wh..."

Just saw this...great advise lol

message 7: by Thersa (new)

Thersa I remembered the other one I used! It was Query Tracker.
http://www.querytracker.net/

It's just amazing that not five years ago all my research was done through one book and all my submissions were snail mail. So much has changed.

Terrie