Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Book Compatibility test

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I only discovered the book compatibility test thing a couple of days ago. Anyway, after testing all my friends I tested myself (as you do) but according to it I am only 42% compatible with myself.

I have friends who are more compatible with me then I am with myself! Is it trying to tell me something?

Anyway, so how does it work? I know it's only a bit of fun but shouldn't I be 100% compatible with myself?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) I never thought to check that, Fiona. Interesting. I had much better results than you did.
---------
You and yourself have 1467 books (or 99.59% of your library and 99.59% of his library) in common. Your tastes for those 1467 ratings are 100% similar.
---------
I would guess I didn't score 100% due to a caching issue. I recently changed out a book I was reading for another.

Did you make a lot of changes to books or shelves before comparing books?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that I'd like to know how it's computed. I assume the "to-read" shelf plays a role in it. Also, the number of books I had on one side of this solipsistic equation was higher than on the other side.

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Jim wrote: "I never thought to check that, Fiona. Interesting. I had much better results than you did.
---------
You and yourself have 1467 books (or 99.59% of your library and 99.59% of his library) in comm..."

Oooh... are you doing the book comparison one or the book compatibility test? I'm 100% similar to myself when I'm just comparing my books but not very good when taking the test.

message 5: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
The compatibility test needs work - but thanks for mentioning that!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) My mistake, Fiona. I was 'Comparing Books', not doing the book compatibility test. I haven't seen it. Where is it located?

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) It's at the top right in the page where you've compared your books. I don't know how long it's been there - someone only pointed it out to me a couple of days ago.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Oh! Duh. Thanks. I only match myself to 36% & 15% with my daughter. My daughter's reading & taste is pretty much a subset of mine, so we should be fairly compatible.

I can see why Otis says it needs work. It's obviously not calculating correctly.

message 9: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12272 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "I would guess I didn't score 100% due to a caching issue. I recently changed out a book I was reading for another.

More likely, it means you have duplicates shelved.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 206 comments Otis, someone in my group mentioned how great it would be to have the compatibility test actually show us other goodread members we have a high compatibility with..... Is there a way for you to get it do that?

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (Ravenskya) Okay, I just did the math on the compatibility test... I added up the % at the top and divided by 9 to get my 39% compatibility. Example under Popular I had 80% because there were books on there that I had not read, on Chicklit I had 0% because I hadn't read a single one.

So what is skewing the numbers is the books that you have not read are counting as 0 toward the % rather than not being counted.

message 12: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Thanks Kristen. I'll look into cleaning that up a bit.

The BCT (Book Compatibility Test) started as an experiment after I saw a similar thing on Flixster. Feedback on how to improve it is appreciated. It was hard to pick a set list of popular books that we can all compare ourselves against.

message 13: by S. K. (new)

S. K. Pentecost | 2 comments Otis wrote: "It was hard to pick a set list of popular books that we can all compare ourselves against. "

I can imagine it was hard. I have been contemplating the list a lot lately and I've had a nagging curiosity on what the criteria were? Is this something that can be known to the layreader?

As for the test itself, my 2016 reading challenge is to read all of the titles on the list that I have not read, specifically to give the test a larger data set to compare me to others with, hopefully resulting in more accurate scores. It has been a horizon expanding experience so far.