Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Mark Haddon
This topic is about Mark Haddon
Specific List Authors > Mark Haddon & Kurt Vonnegut

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments I just finished a Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (loved it) and then I read Breakfast of Champions (also loved it). Is it just me or do their writing styles seem almost identical? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

message 2: by Lenoir (new)

Lenoir | 27 comments I loved Curious Incident of the Dog. I have Breakfast of Champions on my night stand as on deck to read next so you've piqued my interest.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I LOVE Vonnegut... all Vonnegut... I have Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, and may have to bump it up on the reading list if it's similar to Kurt.

Stephanie "Jedigal" (jedigal) | 271 comments Interesting thought, Heather. It's been a while since I read "Curious Incident", but I think I know what you mean. Haven't read any other Haddon, but that title, and all of Vonnegut, have a very sparse, matter-of-fact kind of style.

I too love Vonnegut. Currently reading God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) Stephanie, God Bless You, Mr Rosewater is fantastic... though not my favorite. I have a whole stack of Vonnegut I have yet to read... I try to space them out so I don't burn through them too quickly

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Kristen wrote: "Stephanie, God Bless You, Mr Rosewater is fantastic... though not my favorite. I have a whole stack of Vonnegut I have yet to read... I try to space them out so I don't burn through them too quickly"

Lenoir,
Please let me know what you think. I'd like to hear what you think when you read them back to back. Also, I think I need to read more Vonnegut to see if the styles change a bit

message 7: by Lenoir (new)

Lenoir | 27 comments I'll let you know what I think. I realized that the one I have on my nightstand is Cat's Cradle but I do have Breakfast of Champions so I'll read that one first instead.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurita) | 44 comments There's a special place in my heart for Vonnegut. I got all choked up in a pub bathroom right after he died because someone had graffitied "So it goes" with his birth and death dates underneath it. I read pretty much all of his books between the ages of fifteen and eighteen and have read several of them twice. I don't know if I agree that the voice is similar to Haddon's overall simple because Vonnegut is always sparse in his language, but far more tongue and cheek than Haddon. Plus, I think it may be more that the narrator is autistic that necessitates the economy of language.

Heather, I think that if you're looking for Vonnegut that stylistically sets itself apart from the others, try Jailbird. It is a lot more serious than most of his works and I think he works hard at beautifying the language more than he does in other books. It just feels different.

message 9: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian | 1 comments I am a huge fan of Mark Haddon - there is a really funny video review of The Curious Incident here. I recommend a look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9UbL-...

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (mnium) | 138 comments Yossarian wrote: "I am a huge fan of Mark Haddon - there is a really funny video review of The Curious Incident here. I recommend a look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9UbL-..."

Oh, very cute! Thanks...Yossarian! :D

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | -1 comments I honestly just want to read this book just because I was reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and read the line about the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime, and I want to know why he used that title.

message 12: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 218 comments Hey Jessica! You beat me to the post! Yes, I'm reading Sherlock Holmes too now and came across that line.

message 13: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna Grezak (adriannagrezak) I've never thought to compare the two..

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara (tara_m_mcdaniel) Heather wrote: "I just finished a Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (loved it) and then I read Breakfast of Champions (also loved it). Is it just me or do their writing styles seem almost identical? ..."

These books both got 5 stars from me. Breakfast of Champions is one of my all-time mostest favorite books. Neither book has a straightforward narrator. They're both conversational, like you're reading their thoughts. You might like "The Pharmacist's Mate" by Amy Fusselman (sp?). It's written like the narrator's thoughts right from her head--random, but somehow not random at all, they end up tying all together in the end.

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (other topics)