message 1: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) My 100 books for this year are:

1. Home A Novel

2. The Prophet of Yonwood (audio-book)

3. The Story of My Life (audio-book)

4. Eragon

5. Eldest

6. Brisingr

Wow! I was sick and had a good excuse to neglect my responsibilities and "just read," otherwise I couldn't have gotten through those Paolini books!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome Beth! I wish i could be sick & read! Okay pretend to be sick & read!

message 3: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) lol

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (ultimatebibliophile) | 36 comments nice,i should get sick too,so i can miss those exams and read!!!i wonder how much the common cold could do and for how long....??

message 5: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) My 100 books update. These were shorter/easier, but I still enjoyed them.

7. Uglies

8. Pretties

9. A Girl from Yamhill

10. Before the Dawn

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Beth if you keep up this pace you'll pass 100 by year end! that is Awesome. I am inspired!

message 7: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) My books for the past few weeks...

11. Howl's Moving Castle

12. Inkdeath

13. The Diamond of Darkhold (audio-book)

14. Specials

I really enjoyed the first three although Specials was a bit of a disappointment.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Wow, 14 books already? You're doing great!

message 9: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Thanks, Beth

Fiona, I really did enjoy Howls Moving Castle. It's a fun story. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) When I saw Howls I thought "this lady must know Fiona"

*pokes bookpusher Tweetybird*

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Beth you're doing great! I really need to buckle down to get to 16 by the end of the month!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) So far I've read 4 this month and 6 last month so I need to read 6 more this month if I want to get on track.

message 13: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Beth said: "I need to read 6 more this month"

That's doable, especially if you choose something light or YA like I've been reading.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I think I can do it. I do have a few YAs that are on my TBR list. I'm actually really into YA. I never really was until I joined GR but now I love it.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Me 2 Beth! And the way they are writing YA these days, I can see lots of books doing an easy crossover.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I think you're right Laura and Fiona..YA is being taken more seriously. I mean, look at The Book Thief! It's nice to know that (some) people recognize YA as being legitimate literature.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to agree. I love a lot of YA books. Book Thief was awesome so was the book of lost things. Harry Potter (I only read the first one) is great. I could go on.....

message 18: by Beth (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:41AM) (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) And right now I'm looking so forward to reading Coraline and The Graveyard Book. I've only read the first Harry Potter too but I bought my husband a set of the six HP paperbacks for Xmas and once he's done with them I'm going to grab them. I also have Twilight sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read. I just have to find out what all the hype's about!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Twilight was okay. I think it was too much hype. I was expecting more i think if the hype wasn't so big I would have liked it more. I think Harry Potter is much better. I am planning on reading the rest of the Harry potter books this year.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Oh yeah Beth Twilight isn't in the same league with HP, BT and the rest. I would put it in the "fluffy beach read" category, but it does keep the pp. turning, and that is what reading is all about, so you have to give it that.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Ok, I'll read Twiligt when I'm in the mood for a light book. I definitely have times when I need fluff!

message 22: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Beth wrote: "And right now I'm looking so forward to reading Coraline and The Graveyard Book..."

Me, too! I just got Coraline from the library, but I'm trying to make myself finish My Own Two Feet A Memoir first. Hopefully I can start it Friday, then I can finish it over the weekend. I'm guessing I won't want to put it down.

message 23: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Laura wrote: "Oh yeah Beth Twilight isn't in the same league with HP..."

I have to agree, Emilee and Laura, Harry Potter is much better that Twilight!

I will have to read The Book Thief soon, I have an audio copy on my Zen all ready to go.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) The Book Thief is one of my absoulute favorites! I tired to get Coraline from the library last night but of course all the copies were out! I saw a commercial for the movie and it looks like it's good! Of course I want to read the book before seeing the movie!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Beth Twilight is big fluff easy reading.

message 26: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind I'm thinking about re-reading HP again this year. Not sure if I'll get to it (too many books already on my to-read list!) but maybe.
The Graveyard book sounds really good so I'm thinking about reading that one as well at some point. One of my friends has it so I can probably borrow it from him.

message 27: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) My reading update...

15. The Friendship Crisis Finding, Making, and Keeping Friends When You're Not a Kid Anymore Nonfiction, not that exciting.

16. My Own Two Feet A Memoir Liked this one.

17. Coraline Loved this one, a new favorite!!!

18. Shadow of the Hegemon This one is also really good.

19. The Good Earth Audio-book (Rereads count right?) An old favorite.

message 28: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind Looking good, Beth! - and re-reads definitely counts.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I count re-reads too!

message 30: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) What I've been reading...

20. Tarzan of the Apes Audio-book

21. Shadow Puppets Good.

22. Searoad A bit over my head?

23. Alphabet of Thorn Excellent!

Now off to read more exciting books!

message 31: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) More reading update...

24. The Book Thief good, (audio-book)

25. The Graveyard Book fun

26. The Crown Conspiracy quick read, good

27. The Historian slow, easygoing pace, a bit long (audio-book)

28. Freckles also a bit slow, but good

29. I, Robot I loved it. I've never seen the movie.

30. Fablehaven Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary Also good, now I have to wait for the next one in the series.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfloreyyahoocom) | 8 comments Fiona wrote: "I think nowadays, since Harry Potter and His Dark Materials they are taking children's and YA books as more serious and that they aren't just silly books kiddies read before they move onto the prop..."

I've read Young Adult books since I was in grade school (I was born in 1958). I absolutely love them, and once dreamed of writing YA books. They have a different perspective than adult books, but can be equally as serious and as well-written.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfloreyyahoocom) | 8 comments Actually, if you think about it, most of Charles Dicken's books have children in them. Great Expectations could easily be classified as YA.

message 37: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) What I've read...

59. Kirinyaga A Fable of Utopia Loved it!

60. Her Royal Spyness

61. Tortilla Flat

62. Cannery Row

63. Parable of the Sower (audiobook)

message 38: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) What I've been reading....

64. The Left Hand of Darkness

65. Messenger

66. Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child Eliminating Conflict by Establishing Clear, Firm, and Respectful Boundaries

67. Mistborn The Final Empire (audiobook- but because of technichal difficulties, I did a bit of dead-tree reading, too.)

68. A Short History of Nearly Everything (audiobook)

69. Sweet Thursday

70. The Hunger Games

There were lots of good books in this batch. I especially liked Mistborn and Hunger Games.

message 39: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Another reading update...

71. The Well of Ascension

72. The Moonstone

73. The Martian Chronicles

74. The Grapes of Wrath

75. The Moorchild

76. Sense and Sensibility

77. The Actor and the Housewife A Novel

78. The Hero of Ages

These books were all really good, except for The Actor and the Housewife A Novel which was disappointing because I usually love Shannon Hale's books.

message 40: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) My reading has slowed down a bit the last month or so, but now that I'm all moved in to my new house I should have a bit more reading time.

message 41: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) What I've been reading...

79. Jane Eyre

80. Riddle-Master

81. The Secret School

82. Brave New World

83. Dracula

84. The War of the Worlds

85. Gregor the Overlander

86. Dragonseed

87. Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

88. Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

89. Unseen Academicals

90. Gregor and the Marks of Secret

Lots of really good books! I love Terry Pratchett of course, and The Secret School was a pleasant surprise, and I'm loving the Gregor the Overlander series.

Hopefully I will finish my 100- if the holidays don't get too busy.

message 42: by Len (new)

Len Goodman (ljgoodman44) Beth
You are a prodigious reader!
I am a new author and have just come out with a new book. I dont know if it is the type of book you would enjoy, but I think you would.

Would you be so kind as to read it (if you think the subject is something you would be interested in)and give me your opinion...Better yet, write a review on Amazon and Goodreads.

My name is Len Goodman and I am a member of Goodreads.

If you pass, I fully understand and thank you for your consideration.

Regards
Len

message 43: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Sorry, Len, it doesn't look like my kind of book.

message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfloreyyahoocom) | 8 comments Beth A. wrote: "My 100 books update. These were shorter/easier, but I still enjoyed them.

7. Uglies

8. Pretties

9. A Girl from Yamhill

10. [book:Before the Dawn|..."

I also loved the Girl from Yam Hill. I'm a real fan of Beverly Cleary.

What do you suppose her mother suffered from - depression and anxiety?

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfloreyyahoocom) | 8 comments I also loved the Girl from Yam Hill. I'm a real fan of Beverly Cleary.

message 47: by galya (new)

galya I wish I could read that much. I'm gonna start a count in January. :) I say 50 or less. :)

message 48: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Beth wrote: "I also loved the Girl from Yam Hill. I'm a real fan of Beverly Cleary.

"

I don't know much about psychological disorders, but I'm sure she had one, she was a very unhappy woman, and she made her daughter's life lonely and difficult.

message 49: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) galya wrote: "I wish I could read that much. I'm gonna start a count in January. :) I say 50 or less. :)"

Galya, good luck! It's really not about numbers, just enjoying the books. I read so much because we don't watch TV. It's my before-bed sedative.

message 50: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfloreyyahoocom) | 8 comments Beth A. wrote: "What I've been reading....

31. Shadow of the Giant
32. In Search of Heaven
33. Raising Good Kids
34. A Beautiful Mind
35. [book:Littl..."

The Book "Little Briches, Father and I were Ranchers" is one I bought a few years ago in the Black Hills. It's very good. I can't believe how our reading tastes overlap.

« previous 1