Richard III discussion

Where's the Body?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments After two days when I was distracted by other duties, I am back with a real puzzle. After the battle of Bosworth Field on August 22, 1485, Richard's body was stripped and borne, slung across a pony, to Leicester (the nearest town) where it was exposed without even a loincloth for at least three days. After that the Grey Friars were permitted to bury it. Later, during the dissolution of the monasteries, his bones were disinterred and thrown into the nearby River Soar. But some say, his grave was undisturbed and now lies under a parking lot in Leicester. What do you say? And shall we mount a movement to dig up that parking lot?

message 3: by Ikonopeiston (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Good find! I bookmarked this into my Ricardian folder. I wonder, too, how something that massive could have been paraded through the streets and what incited a mob to desecrate the grave after years had passed.

I keep hoping his bones will be found because I would really like to know exactly how tall he was. We know Edward IV was 6'4" because his skeleton has been measured but there are varying contemporary reports on Richard's height.