FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > Dating advice, please!!!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
So, I don't know if y'all remember me telling you this or not, but...

In 2007, I started on the SparkPeople diet and lost 20 lbs or so. I was doing really well, eating at home instead of going out, smaller portion sizes, rarely drinking alcohol, etc, etc. Well in April of 2007 I met a boy, and because we were going out on dates, etc, I started eating out more and drinking more booze and eventually put back on about half, or a little more than half of the weight. (And put the rest back on when we became splitsville around Thanksgiving 2007.)

Anyway, let me get down to my question, finally...
I just started seeing someone new. And it's back to the same ol, same ol. Now that I'm dating, I feel the threat of going out to eat looming over my head. So how does one date (especially in the early stages) while sticking to a diet?

I think I might just tell him that I'm trying to eat healthier. I dunno. What do y'all think?

message 2: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Mands... all you can do is be up front... It could actually be an "informative" conversation for you as well... lay the foundation on what is important to you and see how he reacts - does he sabatoge and take you out to eat/buy you chocolates or does he suggest you go for a stroll around the park... stuff like that

I was actually in that same situation with hubby... only I had a slight advantage in that he already knew me 13 yrs ago. However, one of the first convos we had was about my health. And that is how I presented it - I want to be healthier versus I want to be a stick. (as if)

He was very supportive and has actually become my one-man cheering section. (hmmm - be venting about that shortly - lol) You have to love a man that wants to see his woman healthy. (hmmm - we'll talk later about the chips he bought at the grocery store last night - lol)

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Hahaha! Yeah, I'm fairly sure he'll be supportive. We've already been for a walk around the neighborhood (sorta--we ended up at each other's houses giving tours), and we went ice skating on Friday. He's a scrawny ass and is exercising all the time.

I just hope he doesn't expect me to get skinny and stay that way. The fact of the matter is, I'll probably thin down some, but like you said, I don't want to be a stick (as if).

He wants to do Chinese for lunch on Friday. I'm thinking that's a good opportunity to discuss my food situation. ha! Thanks, Trudy. For sure!

NOW... Tell us about you! Vent it, gal!

message 4: by Trudy (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:14AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Lol - well, he said to me last night as we were coming home from the gym... I am proud of you for losing over 30lbs so far. Then there was this beat - and then he said... It was the worst thing for him to know I could lose it "so easily" because now I have no excuses... sigh... He's going to make sure that I work my butt off (literally).

Of course, this was followed up by a trip to the grocery store where we passed down the chip aisle for something and he said "Lays are on sale 2 for 1" with an evil child-like grin on his face (knowing I love a sale)... Not only did I shake my head and told him to get them, I said I would make dip! Then before we even had dinner (I was cooking the sausage and eggs), he says "Where did you put the chips?" I said "AWAY" and he reached into the cupboard and opened them in front of me - took a chip and put them back.... sigh...

Later (after he ate half a dozen of eggs plus sausage, bacon and an english muffin), he brought them out again and proceeded to eat half the bag. I wasn't horrible, but I did have a few. He playfully smacked my hand away at first (which was probably why I just HAD to HAVE a chip after that).

Overall, minimal damage was done as I am still suffering in the stomach area over this darn flu!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

*sigh* Boys Have Cooties.
(That's why we like 'em, right? hahaha.)

Girls Have Cooties, too! Lest you all think I'm heterocentric! :)

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) lol...

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Sometimes I find it highly amusing to be the only guy in this group. Carry on.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

I tried to get my friend Robbie to participate, but noooooooooo...

So what do you think, Boy With Cooties? Any dating advice? Hee hee hee.

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) lol - "Carry on" - LOL

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I got nothin'. It's been a long time since I dated. You don't want to listen to the likes of me.:)

message 11: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Amanda- I was thinking if you're going to a chinese restaurant, you could just order chicken w/ steamed veggies and rice. He should be completely supportive of you especially if he is into exercise.

Trudy- Girlfriend! I feel your pain. Why is it, they can eat whatever the heck they want. And not gain a stinking pound??? It's very frustrating. I know there are men who do gain, but I never see them!

message 12: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 15, 2009 01:38AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Ok, let me say something, as a guy. You might be putting too much thought into this. As a guy, I never gave a rat's ass what a woman ate on the first date, etc. I had other things to think about, like not making a complete ass of myself...

message 13: by Trudy (last edited Jan 15, 2009 07:16AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LOL RA... so true... so true...

Petunia... its not only that... he's lost weight in the last week and ate like crap the whole time... lol...

In his defense - he is a professional athlete, so his metabolism at rest is crazy high...

message 14: by Amanda (new)

UPDATE:
I'm in the first few weeks of euphoria. Needless to say, I will not be online much. Or reading. Or doing anything but snuggling and smiling! :)

message 15: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) YAY!!!!

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony And working out! Don't stop working out!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Right! I will still work out!!! In fact, Noah and I went out to dinner last night and walked to the restaurant instead of driving. And it was cold as hell, too.

mary elizabeth  Williams sex can give you a workout too...

message 19: by Amanda (new)

:)

message 20: by Amanda (last edited Jan 23, 2009 01:20PM) (new)

Actually, we haven't had sex yet, but I'm sure we will soon. We sure do make out a lot! (TMI???? Sorry...)

message 21: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Amanda!!! You go girl!!! Boom chicka wow wow!!!

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Scroll down, Amanda, on this link...it'll tell you how many calories you burn during foreplay and sex...

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate...

message 23: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) That is AWESOME!!! I burn as many calories with that as I do on the stupid bike at the gym... I am seriously going to have to rethink my whole strategy... LOL...