The Riyria Revelations discussion

Recent News > Michael receives a scholarship to George Washington University

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (last edited Jan 13, 2009 09:11PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 268 comments Mod
Last fall I learned about a "Writer in Residence" program offered by George Washington University. They offer a scholarship to a creative writing workshop where a noted national author works with participants to improve their writing skills. Michael has never attended a University and has no formal training in writing so I thought it would be a great experience for him.
There are only 15 seats available and the admission process is very difficult. The writers have to submit a letter as to why they should be selected along with 10 pages of writing sample. Well he wasn't accepted last year but today this came....

"You applied for a place on the Jenny McKean Moore community writing workshop at GWU last fall. Although you didn't make it into the final cut then, I kept your submission because I felt it was of a standard to merit inclusion. A place has now come free on the spring workshop and I was wondering if you might be interested in taking it up?

I think that although Michael's writing is advanced he should be able to learn and give advice to the others in the workshop. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) Robin wrote: "Last fall I learned about a "Writer in Residence" program offered by George Washington University. They offer a scholarship to a creative writing workshop where a noted national author works with p..."

Congrats! I envy you, and wish you all the best

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments That's awesome! Congratulations! :-)

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 18 comments Congratz!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Good for you. Good Luck and have fun.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 56 comments Really? No formal college classes? Damn, how impressive. Have fun at GWU, and bring it to your next successful series (or in revisions to this one).

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Congrats, Michael!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
Thanks everyone. The workshop is almost over, and I will be able to devote much more time to getting the next book out. Which I hope you will take as good news.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (queentess) | 14 comments No posting, only writing! October isn't coming soon enough... :(

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Danielle wrote: "No posting, only writing! October isn't coming soon enough... :("

I agree!