75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Emma--Jane Austen 3 stars. Read for staff book club at school. I was in the 100 read last year, but only did 80. This group already looks more friendly based on the comments.

message 2: by Karol (new)

Karol Don, welcome! I am embarrassed to say that I've never read anything by Jane Austen - but I hope to correct that this year.

message 3: by JanB (new)

JanB  | 980 comments Kay, me neither, but my book club just chose P&P for our April selection

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Neither had I, but the others in the book club said they preferred Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility over this one.

message 5: by Penny (new)

Penny Having just finished reading Emma a month ago and discussing it with my book club, I learned an interesting piece of trivia. This was Austen's last novel published in her lifetime. (Published a year after her death were Persuasion and Northanger Abbey.) When she wrote Emma her goal was to write a character only she would like. This may explain the mixed feelings people have about the book. However, our group concluded that even meddlesome, match-making Emma still possesses charm and charisma. I enjoyed reading it, but have to say I enjoyed Persuasion more. I am eager to read more Austen in the coming year!

message 6: by JanB (new)

JanB  | 980 comments Have you seen the movie Emma? Not having read the book I can't compare the two but I did enjoy the movie. I have also heard the movie "Clueless" is a modern day version of Emma.

message 7: by Penny (new)

Penny I haven't seen "Clueless," but I saw the Gweneth Paltrow version of "Emma." I have to say she did an excellent job, and I could picture her every time Emma spoke in the book. There are a few differences between the book and the movie. I won't spoil anything by saying what. I would like to watch the other movie version of "Emma." I can't remember who stars in it, but it would be fun to compare the two movies and the book.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 2. Adams vs. Jefferson : the Tumultuous Election of 1800 by John Ferling

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 3. Benjamin Harrison (The American President's series ed. by Arthur M Schlesinger) by Chjarles W. Calhoun A great series that has given me a greater appreciation for our presidents and our history.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 4. Ulysses S. Grant (The American President's series ed. by Arthur M. Schlesinger) by Josiah Bunting III

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 5. The House on Mango Street--Sandra Cisneros

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 6. More Outstanding Books for the College Bound by Young Adult Library Services Association.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 7. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (The American President's series) by Roy Jenkins. Not as good as most of the others I've read.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 8. How Reading Changed My Life--Anna Quindlen

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 9. Lost Dorsai--Gordon R. Dickson

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) Don, what's "How Reading Changed My Life" like? I'm always interested in books about reading :D

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Kiwiria wrote: "Don, what's "How Reading Changed My Life" like? I'm always interested in books about reading :D"

A short quick read, but enjoyable. It includes several lists of books which I also found interesting.

message 18: by Don (The Book Guy) (last edited Mar 12, 2009 03:25PM) (new)

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 10. A Mercy--Toni Morrison

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 11. The Penguin Book of Modern African Poetry

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 12. Hair for Mama--Kelly A. Tinkham
13. The Orange Shoes--Trinka Hakes Noble
14. Thundercake--Patricia Polacco

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 15.The Master's Plan for Making Disciples--Win & Charles Arn
16. Badger's Fancy Meal--Keiko Kasza

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 17. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian---Sherman Alexie

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 18. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle--David Wroblewski

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 19. Matilda--Roald Dahl

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 20. Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair--Pablo Neruda

message 26: by Karol (new)

Karol Don, what did you think of Edgar Sawtelle? It's one I'll never forget, that's for sure.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) Kay wrote: "Don, what did you think of Edgar Sawtelle? It's one I'll never forget, that's for sure."
I may have done the reply wrong so here it is again. I would add that some in my book group (all teachers but a wide variety of subject areas), did like it.
I read it as part of a book group. It started slow, I would have cut the chapters on Almodine, about page 80 I started getting interested in it and then lost interest about pg 250 or so. I was not very impressed with it. Didn't care for the ending. I could never get very interested in the characters and what would happen to them. I only gave it about 2 stars.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 21. Have Space Suit, Will Travel--Robert A. Heinlein

message 29: by Karol (new)

Karol Don wrote: "Kay wrote: "Don, what did you think of Edgar Sawtelle? It's one I'll never forget, that's for sure."
I may have done the reply wrong so here it is again. I would add that some in my book group (a..."

Don, I agree with you. Parts of the book were captivating, other parts rather slow.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 22. 84, Charing Cross Road--Helene Hanff

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 23. 13 Little Blue Envelopes--Maureen Johnson

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 24. Revolutionary Characters: What Made the Founders Different--Gordon S. Wood

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 25. Still Alice--Lisa Genova

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 26. A New Song--Jan Karon

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 27. A Framework for Understanding Poverty--Ruby K. Payne

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 28. Joshua and the Shepherd--Joseph F. Girzone

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 29. Patches of Godlight--Jan Karon

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 30. Out to Canaan--Jan Karon

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 31. In This Mountain--Jan Karon

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 32. A Passion for God--John Michael Talbot

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 33. Three Cups of Tea--Greg Mortenson

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 34. Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading---Eugene H. Peterson

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 35.If Grace Is True Why God Will Save Every Person--Philip Gulley
36. If Love is True Rediscovering Grace in an Ungracious World--Philip Gulley
37. The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted--Elizabeth Berg

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 38. Aristotle's Children: How Christians, Muslims, and Jews Rediscovered Ancient Wisdom and Illuminated the Dark Ages---Richard E. Rubenstein

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 39. Life of Pi--Yann Martel

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 40. The Lady, or the Tiger?---Frank Stockton

message 47: by Karol (last edited Sep 06, 2009 06:40AM) (new)

Karol Don wrote: "39. Life of Pi--Yann Martel"

Don, oddly enough, this is one of my favorites. Re. the uncertainty at the end . . . do you think the original, long story is only allegorical and the short, ugly version the real truth? Or was the short version made-up to appease the questioners who found the truth impossible to believe?

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 41. Simple Things--Jim Brickman

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) 42. James and the Giant Peach (play script)---Roald Dahl, adapted by David Wood

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) One of the questions we did not resolve in the book group for which I read this book. I lean towards it being an allegory for the ugly truth. But this is a world full of more than we know or can imagine. Kay wrote: "Don wrote: "39. Life of Pi--Yann Martel"

Don, oddly enough, this is one of my favorites. Re. the uncertainty at the end . . . do you think the original, long story is only allegorical and the sho..."

« previous 1