Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

When you buy a new author's book...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

pop When you buy a book by a new or unknown author, what influences that decision. Cover art? The Blurb? The first few pages? what?

message 2: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Meredith Watson | 37 comments I guess the cover would initially grab me, then the title. Then I read the blub and if it sounds interesting, I'll give it a try.

message 3: by Shawnette (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Shawnette (sweet-sassycomcastnet) | 11 comments When buying a book by a new author I'm usually motivated by a combination of a catchy title and cover, and an intriguing description. If I'm not TOTALLY captivated, I will wait until the reviews come out and if they're good, then I venture out and purchase the book, if not, forget about it!

message 4: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 24 comments Catchy titles seem to get my attention. Then I page through the book and read random passages. If the writing piques my interest, I usually buy the book.

message 5: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) its a little of everything for me.
Title and cover are what you see first.
Then i read the blurb.
If it sounds like something i might like, i do the two page test.
I read the first two pages, and if i can get through them without wanting to skim, and i can deal with the authors writing style... Ill buy it.

Though for me... I wont drop the dollars on a hardcover for someone I havent read before.... unless it really really catches my eye. So sometimes i wont pick it up till it hits paperback.

message 6: by pop (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

pop Thanks for the replies. Of Course, you know why I ask. My pic is pretty much what the publisher proposed, except they left the case on the bullet, I sure hope they remembered to fix that. I wanted a brighter yellow, instead of the orange-ish looking stuff they chose. It's will be available Jan. 28th, in the larger paperback format. My big hope is that it generates enough interest to actually get carried on the store shelves, not an easy task. Thanks for the advice.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I would have to say the cover and title help me decide. :)

message 8: by Guillermo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Guillermo (eprayer) | 9 comments New authors, no matter how hard I try, are reluctantly taken in. I have no other choice, all my favorites are dead, hence no new books. But with new authors, I don't normally buy unless I'm captivated by them in the bookstore. Usually the first five pages are read before I decide to buy them or put them back. It also helps if I've heard of them on TV or in magazines (review wise, not popularity).

message 9: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) Everything Is Illuminated DEFINITELY was the cover (of the hardback). That kind of creativity screams to be read by me! How to Breathe Underwater was because Nick Hornby recommended it in another book I read. With Venus Envy and Drinking, Smoking & Screwing it was most definitely the titles - both made me laugh outright. Elizabeth George's Lynley series I first heard about on NPR. The Motorcycle Diaries I saw the movie and was compelled to get the book. The Art of Seduction a client gave me. The Eyre Affair I picked up randomly at an airport when desperate (thank God I did - brilliant!). How to Learn Any Language and A Left-Hand Turn Around the World I got for the subject matter. Loads of them, including Helen Fielding I read because they were left with me by English speaking passers-though when I lived in Italy. Others because a friend with similar taste recommended it or because it's on my book club list (which is taken from a TV show!). Sometimes it's a mild interest combined with affordability!

Pretty much I'm not picky. It just has to grab me somehow!

message 10: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) ...No wonder I'm an addict...