Sons of Avalon discussion

Writing Music

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 7 comments Dee,

How incredibly appropriate that you are a fan of Loreena McKennitt. I have several times thought to mention her to you in case you were not aware, thinking you would be a perfect match.

Dante's Prayer inspired a portion of the Riyria series--at least I played it a lot while writing certain scenes. Do you ever do that? I actually have a soundtrack I sometimes play when writing to set moods. Usually I can't stand to have lyrics as they interfere with my listening to my own words, so I use movie scores, but Loreena McKennitt and a few others are an exception.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (Dee_Marie) | 194 comments Mod
Hi Michael,

Oh yes, Loreena is my muse, without her SOA would never have been written. I just loop all of her CDs on my stereo and drift back in time. Her music provides the portal to antiquity.

Dante's Prayer is one of my favorites, as well as the Mummers’ Dance.

One of my editors has been in contact with "Loreena’s people" in regards to using her music in the upcoming SOA trailer.

As to writing with music playing in the background...I have to have music playing at all times. The main battle scene in SOA was written to Fall Out Boy :]

The lyrics usually don't bother me. Although I find that sometimes they creep into my writing. I find a stanza grabbing my subconscious, and the theme will magically appear upon the page. Hard to imagine Fall Out Boy lyrics within a medieval novel, but it happens :]

I am currently writing the second SOA adventure while listening to the “Twilight” soundtrack. Go figure :]

I am so looking forward to reading “Avempartha.” I am constantly telling everyone about “the Crown Conspiracy” and everyone is very thankful for my recommendation. What are you listening to for your next book in the series?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 7 comments Thank you for your word-of-mouth. I'm starting to get the impression that maybe you thought The Crown Conspiracy didn't completely suck. =)

To be honest I haven't written a word in eight months. All of the books in the series were finished in advance of publication. They are all done. For almost the last year I have been doing nothing but editing and promotions. Robin reads the manuscripts and makes comments which often leads to editing, but sadly I haven't had the luxury of writing new works--unless you count the blog Robin insisted I start. I didn't even know what a blog was now I am writing daily articles!

Still, I have compiled a sort of soundtrack for the novels--individual songs I feel illustrate important portions of the books either by sound or words. These would be:

Heart of a King (Book 1)Soundtrack from The Man In the Iron Mask by Nick Glennie-Smith

Another Story (book 2) Dougie MacLean with Strings by Dougie MacLean

Scottish Fantasy (book 3) Celtic

Mary Queen of Scots (book4) Dougie MacLean with Strings by Dougie MacLean

The Loch Tay Boat Song (book 4) Kiss the Tears Away by Silly Wizard

The Dawning of the Day (Book 5) The Other Side of Time by Mary Fahl

Dante's Prayer (Book 6) Nights from the Alhambra by Loreena McKennitt

Feels Like Home (Book 6) Faust by Randy Newman

Viva la Vida (Book 6) Viva la Vida by Coldplay

Going Home (Book 6) The Other Side of Time by Mary Fahl

To be honest, Dougie Maclean's whole album (listed above) has a consistency of tone that would make a fine soundtrack to Avempartha.

FallOut Boy and Twilight for an Arthurian Legend, yeah, that seems unexpected. But who knew peanut butter and chocolate would work so well.

I do believe I have heard rumors of your obsess--um--affection for the Twilight Series. Don't get Robin started on this. Stephenie Meyers has her bewildered. She has very little good to say about Twilight, except that she couldn't put it down, and she can't rationalize why.

I hope you get Lorenna to allow you to use the music for the trailer. That would be really cool! I agree, she is fantastic.

message 4: by Dee (last edited Jan 14, 2009 08:27AM) (new)

Oh, I do like your music list. I will have to go to iTunes (my newest obsession) and see if I can download any of them. Oh, and I have also been listening to a lot of "Concrete Blonde" [don't ask, it's a vampire-thing:].

As to Robin Twilight...except that she couldn't put it down, and she can't rationalize why.

Hey, I'm as baffled by all this as anyone. I have recommened or bought the book for several of my "girl" friends. And they cannot stop obsessing about it either.

I think there are tons of subliminal messages in both the book and movie...that are turning woman into blithering angst ridden teens.

All I know is that it has been a fun ride. Plus, it is such a hoot to have so many woman, from so many walks of life...who have something in common...except for ... A Sparkly Fangless Vampire...I suppose it could be worse (not sure how).

I am having Twilight Withdrawals until the DVD comes out :]

message 5: by Dee (new)

Are you missing not writing?

I am currently working on two novels. The second of my SOA series.

And a love story (of sorts) that I wrote as a short story ten years ago.

I will have to take a look-see at your blog :]

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 7 comments Dee wrote: "I will have to take a look-see at your blog :]"

Uh-oh. Now I'm gonna have to write something.

Yes, I would like to get back to writing, but I don't want to start anything unless I can devote large hunks of time to it. The distraction of working on the series would really hinder my ability to keep everything I need in my head.

message 7: by Dee (new)

I fully understand...right now I am in the process of writing two different genres. Although I am finding my "Romeo and Juliet Love Story" to have tons of Medieval references. The male lead is a "modern knight" at one of the King Arthur dinner theatres :)

Yet, it is still hard jumping back and forth from 5th century Britain to the 21st Century.

OH. totally off topic...but can you please have Robin resend me the info on the book faire? I lost everything when my computer crashed in December.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 7 comments I am so sorry to hear about the crash. I will let her know. We've been away for several days at MarsCon promoting the book, so it might not be right away. We just got back and things are going to be sort of hectic here with the inaugural this week.

Really am sorry to hear of the loss though. That is a shame.