BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Favorites! > What book made you cry crocodile tears?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Be brave and tell us what pulled at your heartstrings so much that is made you well up and cry.

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose Chaulk | 11 comments I cried buckets writing Nissitissit Witch

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Evans | 13 comments The timing on this is so funny, since my last three books have had me crying at some point.
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
Phantom limb by Theresa Kishkan
At this point I'm wondering if it's me or the books.

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose Chaulk | 11 comments I pour my emotions into my charecters and live their roles. When they suffer, so do I. When they cry, I weep. If I am not moved by my own charecters then how would I ever expect the reader to feel anything. All my life I have worked outside and seen pollution so rank that my soul wailed. You might think Nissitissit Witch was just about the curse of a woman in 1820 belived to be a witch. The basis of the book is that as soon as American was settled we decemated nature, fouled the air and polluted the rivers. The crying connected to writing is minamal compared to the weeping my sould does for our dying planet. Check out my web www.rosemarychaulk.com

Rose

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) A Lesson Before Dying. Cried like a pansy!

message 6: by Annet (new)

Annet (abpg) | 6 comments The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. Especially at the end of the book. I couldn't believe how someone can write such a shocking, emotional, loving, terrible book, all in one. One of the best books I ever read. I was on holiday in Tuscany and my bf was already in bed. I couldn't stop reading. Still see myself sitting there in the little farmhouse in the dark, on a very old Italian couch, crying my eyes out...

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I don't usually cry at books ... In first grade, I read one of those American Girl books; I believe it was Meet Kirsten. lol One of the Little House on the Prairie books made me cry, when the dog died. :/

Let's see ... I also cried at The Outsiders, Unwind, and The Book Thief

that's all I can think of at the moment.

message 8: by Elliott (new)

Elliott (wakefuldreamer) I know the book is overly sentimental, but the book that got to me was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. The scene that does it every time is when Francie Nolan graduates and she finds a dozen roses on her desk with a note saying "Love From Papa" on them and that she finds out her late-father had written the note and given Sissy the money to buy the flowers a year ago before he died.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorites. There are so many touching parts to that story.

My most recent cry was my attempt at reading A Long Way Gone: memoirs of a boy soldier. That it is a true story made it very upsetting. Knowing that Africa is still seeing so many of these brutal civil wars made it devastating. I couldn't even get past page thirty. I hope to be able to pick it up again at a later date.

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki I re-read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn over the Christmas holiday. I was really touched by that part of the story(mentioned by Elliott) too.

message 11: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) I cry in tons of books, like That Was Then, This Is Now, The Outsiders, HP 7, Unwind, and so many others it is uncountable.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paula717) | 6 comments The Road by Cormac McCarthy made me cry a few times. I also cried with A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini but more out of anger than sorrow (if that makes any sense).

message 13: by Francisco (new)

Francisco (FR4NC15C0D14Z) | 5 comments Andrew Davidson's The Gargoyle

I do not know what it was about this book but something that I felt died inside of me was somehow awakened. I went though several different journeys with this book. I will never forget it. I want to read this book again, but I have a stack of other books to read. I will though return to you.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (reedreads) | 5 comments I cried when the wolf was killed in Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing. I also cried reading Isabel Allende's Paula. I was so sure she was going to wake up that I skipped ahead to make sure. It was such a shock to find out she did not wake up again.
Of course, these weren't crocodile tears. These were heartfelt.

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (calvamom) | 22 comments Kathy wrote: "I cried when the wolf was killed in Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing. I also cried reading Isabel Allende's Paula. I was so sure she was going to wake up that I skipped ahead to make sure. It was ..."
I too bawled my way through Paula like a baby. But they were beautiful, cleansing , heartfelt tears. i think they even healed some things in my real life past. I love Isabelle Allende and she always reaches me at a very deep level with her books.

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 1 comments Hi Francisco,
I also just recently finished The Gargoyle and was blown away by how good it was. I thought the stories Marianne told were more interesting than the main love story between her and the burned man though.
I think I teared up at the end of each one.

wendy

Francisco wrote: "Andrew Davidson's The Gargoyle

I do not know what it was about this book but something that I felt died inside of me was somehow awakened. I went though several different journeys with this book..."

message 17: by Julia Trotter (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:52AM) (new)

Julia Trotter Cried during:

The Notebook
A Certain Slant of Light
Things Fall Apart
Of Mice and Men
The Hunger Games

I cried a bit when Rosie was beat in "Water for Elephants". I'm a softy when it comes to anyone's pet getting hurt or killed.

After writting this I realize what a pansy I am, lol.

message 19: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Mar 03, 2009 05:46PM) (new)

I guess it is my turn...
I knew how it would turn out but it still made a lot of dust fly directly into my eye...

[image error]

message 20: by Wes, Moderator (new)

is everyone laughing at me or something :)

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danielledore) The Time Travelers Wife
My Sisters Keeper
The Lovley Bones
Peony in Love
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

message 22: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Old Yeller

When the dog had to be killed, it broke my heart.

message 23: by Manda (new)

Manda The Panda (mandapanda17) | 7 comments Night by Elie Wiesel. He was a survivor from Nazi concentration camps.
Let me Go by Helga Schiender when she descibed how her mother(a former guard from the SS) treated people in concentration camps

message 24: by Claire (new)

Claire The History of Love, Nicole Krauss
The Road, Cormac McCarthy
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (reedreads) | 5 comments Manda wrote: "Night by Elie Wiesel. He was a survivor from Nazi concentration camps.
Let me Go by Helga Schiender when she descibed how her mother(a former guard from the SS) treated people in concentration camps "

I have looked and looked for someone else who has read Let Me Go. It was one of the most truly disturbing things I have ever read. How could she leave her family? How can you be around people all the time and still not see them as people? Was she bristly because she wanted to be left alone to not deal with the issues? Just old and tired? Do you think the author found any answers to her questions? Wasn't it an amazing read?
Sorry to gush. I read that book 2 or 3 years ago. It sticks with you.

message 26: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (swimmingseraph) | 3 comments I have no idea why this book makes me cry but the ending of the Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine has made me tear up every time I read it from fifth grade to present.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments Great call, Wes. Into the Wild is such a haunting book. I have been carrying a piece of Chrisr McCandless with me ever since reading that book.

Southernbelle0326 | 13 comments I cry at a number of books but the ones that have stuck out for me are

SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN
TWILIGHT series
PAULA DEEN: IT AINT ALL ABOUT THE COOKING
A CHILD CALLED IT
the last 2 in the HARRY POTTER series
PS I LOVE YOU

just to name a few....

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) There have been so many so I will just list the last one that made me cry, Lover Eternal by JR Ward. I did not expect to be crying while reading this book, but the tears were running down my face.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 42 comments Schindler's Ark had me going a fair few times
The Book Thief got a few tears out of me (in the early hours of the morning beside a main road in the middle of an all night bat survey, now that is an impressive book)
Of Mice and Men also got a few tears at the end

message 31: by Zena (new)

Zena  (zenakatie) | 3 comments Carol wrote: "The timing on this is so funny, since my last three books have had me crying at some point.
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
Phantom limb by Theresa Kis..."

what genre is Love Walked In?

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol Bro (cjbro) | 34 comments Time Traveler's Wife
Outlander
Bel Canto

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catarinacanhota) | 52 comments The book that immediately came to mind is The Bridges of Madison County. I cried and cried and was haunted by it for at least a week.

Sophies Choice made me cry as well.

message 34: by Rachel (last edited Dec 03, 2009 02:48PM) (new)

message 35: by Andrez (last edited Dec 04, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Persuasion, on the letter part
and I think Sense and Sensibility~...well jane austen is the only one

message 36: by Paula (last edited Dec 09, 2009 05:17PM) (new)

Paula (Paula717) | 6 comments "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert. It made me cry quite a few times. No book has done this to me for some time.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 112 comments THEN WE CAME TO THE END by Joshua Ferris
this book about downsizing is so funny that I can't read a few pages without laughing to the point of tears
at the same time it's a very poignant and sad commentary on the modern work world in the US --maybe the world today
so the tears are both from belly busting humor and existential sadness at the same time

message 38: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) and also "recados de mae"()[mom's notes by author:Maria Teresa Maia Gonzalez|828450]

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catarinacanhota) | 52 comments Did you read it in Portuguese? Where did you find it?

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth Diiorio (beth_diiorio) Although Hannah's Dream A Novel had me crying tears of joy and sadness, I would still HIGHLY recommend it...very engaging characters and story line. Here If You Need Me A True Story had me in tears a few times, as did The Kite Runner and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

message 41: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Catherine wrote: "Did you read it in Portuguese? Where did you find it?"

in a portuguese bookstore.

PS-I must addThe Knight in Rusty Armor made me cry so much of all the times I read it

message 42: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo (donnajo85) | 10 comments The first book that made me cry that I can remember I was in 2nd Grade I believe. The book was Helen Keller I cried and cried. She had such a hard life. Makes me say "what are you complaining for?" when I have a "bad" day.

Books I've read in the last few years that have made me cry are:

The Art of Racing in the Rain
Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre

I'm sure I've cried during more books than this, but these are the ones that I can remember the names of, haha.

message 43: by Denise (new)

Denise I cry about almost anything, I even cry watching game shows when someone wins so there is no way I can list all the books that I have ever cried over but the two most recent were:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and A Year on Ladybug Farm (which I just finished this morning-in the wee hours).

message 44: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 9 comments I cry during a lot of books, because I usually put myself in the characters shoes so I feel sad whenever something bad happens to them. One of the books that I cried buckets of tears for was The Book Thief. I remember sobbing and needing an obnoxious amount of tissues. =/
It was still amazing though, lol <3

message 45: by Allie (new)

Allie (peaceolgy) | 2 comments My Sister's Keeper. Multiple times.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim | 112 comments Francisco wrote: "Andrew Davidson's The Gargoyle

I do not know what it was about this book but something that I felt died inside of me was somehow awakened. I went though several different journeys with this book..."

I thought this book was very powerful too

message 47: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 9 comments Allie wrote: "My Sister's Keeper. Multiple times."

I didn't cry at all in that book, I didn't really understand why people thought it was THAT sad...I understand tearing up, but I didn't think that it was worthy of a full-out cry session.

message 48: by Michele (new)

Michele (michelel) I was sobbing by the end of The Book Thief. I can't even read things like Marley & Me.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim | 112 comments I always get teary when I read THE LITTLE PRINCE by Exupery - I don't read it everyday fortunately

I also felt very emotional when I gave that book to my 14 yr old daughter as there is nothing better to me than sharing a book that you love with your kid

message 50: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Almost any book written by Lurlene McDaniel. She write YA novels and the main characters often suffer from cancer and die.

« previous 1