The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Nobel Prize for Literature

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) I've asked this question a while ago in the thread "Ask Me Two Things", now I'm a little curious what others think about this..

Who sensational and international living author do you think deserves to win this year's Nobel Prize for Literature? State your answer and why.

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
huh. Almost seems like a high school essay question for lit class.....

message 3: by Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be) (last edited Jan 13, 2009 08:37PM) (new)

Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be) (petra-x) Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Simply he's the best living writer, in my opinion, who hasn't yet received the Nobel Prize. His work ranges from the journalistic (News of a Kidnapping) through the slyly political (Innocent Erendira and No One Writes to the Colonel) to the lushly beautiful Love in the Time of Cholera. The quality of his books is consistent and they are deep but readable and one of those authors where when you are 100 pages from the end you try and ration yourself, you so don't want to leave the world he's conjured up. There is only one book of his I haven't read, My Melancholy Whores and I won't read that until he writes another one. (He is old and might die before that happens, so I am keeping this one so I will still have the pleasure of a Garcia Marquez book to read).

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I second the nomination for Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He's one of my favorite authors.

message 5: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) But what I have read I think that he had won a Nobel laureate? Or is my sources correct or wrong?

Do you think Paulo Coelho deserves to win the Nobel?
Or he is not that sensational enough?

Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be) (petra-x) Do you think that Coelho is in the same class as Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

message 7: by Hayes (last edited Jan 15, 2009 10:24PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I feel Coelho is secretly dispairing that he wasn't born Marquez; I'm so tired of the SA authors not being able to shake off the idea of Marquez.
I didn't like the book of his that I read, can't even remember the title (the Alchemist?). The whole thing sounded like a A&E feature movie taken from an idea by Marquez. I hope his other books are better; I just couldn't like that one and am not inclined to try another.

Do you have one you particularly like (that might change my mind)?

Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be) (petra-x) I started the Alchemist and didn't like it. I'm not really into the novel-as-inspirational-book. But then I'm not really into inspirational books.

message 9: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) Do you think Salman Rushdie fits the bill?

Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be) (petra-x) Good candidate, yes, but not really, but I'm surprised he hasn't won it. I think he's too inconsistent. His first book, Grimus, is all but unreadable because its too obscure. A lot of his books (to me, maybe not to you and millions of others) are the sort of books you keep reading the same six pages of before you realise you cannot get into the book. I don't know anyone who finished The Ground Beneath Her Feet. But then Midnight's Children is one of the best books EVER. Just unbelievably good. Come to think of it Shame is way underrated, probably because its short and contains few obscure references.

I do think that Rushdie will win the Nobel Prize at some point though.

Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be) (petra-x) Lori wrote: "huh. Almost seems like a high school essay question for lit class....."

I never had interesting questions like this Lori. I was continually being asked to dissect the character of some boring character in Hardy or Shakespeare, or so I remember it!

message 12: by Epee (new)

Epee (epers) I think Coelho is a fair choice. Eleven Minutes was mesmerising and I think that the Alchemist will in the future be regarded as a classic.

message 13: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) Epee wrote: "I think Coelho is a fair choice. Eleven Minutes was mesmerising and I think that the Alchemist will in the future be regarded as a classic."

At least i got someone on my side here.
Thanks Petra X, for appreciating the thread I've posted here. It's time now that some sane and intelligent questions be asked in this site.
I won't hide now. For me the perfect choice to win the Nobel Prize for Literature is Paulo Coleho. I find his theme, style, and stories very original.
I'd recently re-read The Alchemist and it feels like I've never read the novel. It always sweeps me whenever I open and read/reread a Coelho book/novel.
But who knows...
So I'm still seeking the right one to win this year's Nobel.
After all Gabriel Garcia won now.. there's just no point arguing about it.. ain't it?