College Students! discussion

college talk > What (horrible) kind of snack foods have you eaten while at college?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
yeah..i've never had good luck with easy mac type stuff. one time i bought these frozen chinese dinner things that were gross that came in a box that looked like takeout..they looked real good..but they weren't at all.

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

hmm i dont' even remember what they were called. they were gross though..and that means alot coming from me..because i will eat just about anything. i'm not a picky eater at all.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I bought a michelina's tv dinner because they were on sale for a dollar. ick. And I'm not a picky eater either. There was a reason it was so cheap. They must have been really old. I took a couple bites and threw the rest away, the noodles were all clumped together and it tasted like cardboard.

message 4: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments i hate ramen..haha i know i am in the minority.
and i hate easy mac.
i'm kind of picky.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet I am with Kimberly! I bought those one time too and gross!! I LOVE easy mac though. Nothing like the real thing but it's still good for a quick fix. I made a cheesy rice thing on time and it was gross. I guess maybe we should all be careful with our cheesy purchaces! Haha.

SBG- you've never had Chinese food? Like ever? Am I reading that correctly? I LOVE Chinese food, it's my favorite! MMM!

message 6: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
Bree, I've made it a point to not eat ramen since I've been in college too. And easy mac icks me out. I bought pasta roni, which was like a rich man's ramen. They came in several different flavors. I think they were about $1 each. You needed butter and milk. But they were good and filled you up. I ate them so often I got tired of them though.

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet Hmm that sounds pretty good SBG. I love the french break pizzas and I like making my own pizza, so I will have to try them.

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments I'm going to geek out for a moment here...Most Asian buffetts are close to what Asian food is like only a little Americanized. When people think it is appropriate to fill thier plate with fried rice and dump General Tso's chicken on top and eat it with a spoon- that's not Chinese. Eating the chicken with chopsticks and having a bowl of rice afterwards is closer. (I am not Chinese, but I'm obsessed with Asian culture, so I study these things.) You get the picture, you've had as close to Asian food as you can get in most places outside of the actual country. If you find a hibachi resteraunt, that's pretty close. Or cook yourself up some chicken foot. ;) Geek talk over, I promise.

As for nasty foods, I don't eat much really gross stuff on accident. Some of the grocery store brand noodles or not very good, admittedly. and my husband loved those butter flavored popcorn poufs. I call them "corn-puff creepies" They are really nasty.

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

mmm i love hibachi..we have this amazing place near my house and i go there alll the time!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

sometimes after a long class i crave for milky ways chocolate bars and i buy as many bars as i can

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Just last year I discovered a LOVE for Japanese food. We have two really great places here. One has the traditional hibachi show, the other has hibachi food (as well as sushi, etc) w/o the show so it's cheaper. I also think the cheaper one tastes better and has better service. Ok I am REALLY craving some hibachi chicken with yum-yum sauce right now!!

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I passed Ramen in the grocery store aisle and I shuddered. Ugh..I can't believe I used to live on that stuff. I certainly don't miss college living as far as eating goes.

message 13: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments EW Ramen. I can't look at it either. I honestly think that is why I gained the Freshman 15. I also tried these chinese meals that looked good..NOT good at all!

message 14: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I'm still going strong with not eating Ramen. I have been incorporating more fruits and vegetables into my diet.

message 15: by R (new)

R (feste) Ahaha. I subsist primarily on ramen/instant noodles, if I'm not eating at the canteen. Sometimes I eat a bag of chips for dinner. Yeah, my diet's not particularly healthy at present. I'm hoping to change that.

Abigail (42stitches) | 53 comments The husband and I still exist on Ramen. Mostly because I am a lazy and not imaginative cook. But I almost always make it up with tuna or chicken and throw some steamed vegetables on it. I also often toss the flavor packet (those things are strait-up sodium, ick) and season it myself. That makes it slightly better you. He LOVES noodles with a burning, fiery passion, so if it isn't Ramen it is some other kind of pasta done up with the same treatment or cheese and meats. I can't really escape it.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited May 11, 2009 01:32PM) (new)

i gotta stop buying a million milky way bars from the food machine after class..... i mean i go to the machine and waste 5 or 10 dollars on milky way bars at the machine and then i go home and watch a new episode of Lost and eat them all......i know its bad for health.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I used to eat a lot of those ramen cup-a-noodles, they were like my substitute for chicken noodle soup when I was sick. My mom bought some for my younger brother and I tried one a few days ago...ew. I had a friend though who made some cheesy eggy dish with top ramen and it was really good. I also worked at a Greek restaurant so me and my friend/roommate/co-worker got really creative with left over Greek food...toasted pbj on pita bread was a favorite though.

message 19: by Britt (new)

Britt Lovelady Yeah I tried one of those Cup O Soup things and I got sick afterwards. Too much sodium in those things for me!

message 20: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
but Gene, Milky Way's are so good!

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet My mom actually has a cook book for different ways to make Ramen. I've always been interested in trying some!

message 22: by R (new)

R (feste) Yeah, the other day my friend drank a microwavable soup thing then had a massive asthma attack. I guess he was probably allergic to the MSG or something. Still, quite scary...