FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > fiber and poop

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

mary elizabeth  Williams we were debating this at work today, and cannot find the answer on the internet.

does anyone know... does fiber (natural or unnatural) give you diarrhea or make you constipated? in other words, does it soften your poop or harden your poop. sorry to be so biologically blunt, but sometimes you gotta ask the hard questions.

message 2: by GraceAnne (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 14 comments I'm not sure, but I think that it makes it "just right"

- Momma Bear

message 3: by Angelica (last edited Jan 13, 2009 06:04PM) (new)

Angelica (angelica221) i was under the impression that it enables you to go more. my guess would be a softer consistency. Geez, did I really just write that?

This is gross, but this may help answer your question...
http://www.fruit-eze.com/fiberQuiz2.html (it's a commercial for a fiber supplement, but it may help)

I'm still trying to get over that I'm responding to this. You guys need to find more interesting topics to discuss at work: how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop? who is dating/seeing who in the workplace? which breed of dog is the best?

message 4: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LMAO... when I stop laughing so hard and drink my ginger ale to calm my stomach, I will let you know what I find out in my search...

message 5: by Amanda (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:07AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is why it's fun to be a FU member! :) Where else can you go to see a tread topic like "Fiber and Poop"???

I'm thinking:
1. Fiber is a stool hardener, but too much, and you can't go--ie, too much and you become constipated. (edited because I'm wrong, based on Trudy's research.) Or maybe I have that wrong. Maybe fiber is just like a squeegie. It squeegies out your colon and gets all the ick out of your system.
2. My sister told me that dietary fiber supplements are actually laxatives. Ugh. That sounds horrible!

Ok, that's enough outta me. Trudy said she's doing research, so I'm eager to see what she finds...

message 6: by Trudy (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:06AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) So, I think I am agreeing with GraceAnne's post - It makes you "just right" LOL

http://www.nexiumresearch.com/constip...

Excerpt:
Eat more fiber foods and drink plenty of water and other liquids such as fruit and vegetable juices and clear soups. Eating a well balanced diet with enough fiber, 20 to 35 grams each day, recommended by the American Dietetic Association, helps form soft, bulky stool. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, Americans eat an average of 5 to 14 grams of fiber daily. Both children and adults eat too many refined and processed foods from which the natural fiber has been removed. High fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.

---

The most common cause of constipation is a diet low in fiber found in vegetables, fruits, and whole grains and high in fats found in cheese, eggs, and meats. People who eat plenty of high fiber foods are less likely to become constipated. For people prone to constipation, limiting foods that have little or no fiber, such as ice cream, cheese, meat, snacks like chips and pizza, and processed foods such as instant mashed potatoes or already prepared frozen dinners, is also important. A doctor or dietitian can help plan an appropriate diet.

Fiber, both soluble and insoluble, is the part of fruits, vegetables, and grains that the body cannot digest. Soluble fiber dissolves easily in water and takes on a soft, gel like texture in the intestines. Insoluble fiber passes through the intestines almost unchanged. The bulk and soft texture of fiber help prevent hard, dry stools that are difficult to pass. We need both soluble and insoluble fiber in our diet.

message 7: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) So, Fiber is good = makes you regular

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
It helps prevent colon cancer, too, right? I think...

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I didn't read that specifically, but I do think that is one of the benefits of smooth pooping... lol...

message 10: by GraceAnne (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:46AM) (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 14 comments Why, oh why, did open this thread while I am eating lunch?

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) you gotta admit - the word "poop" is just down right funny... I don't know why...

message 12: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Seriously... we need to find better topics to discuss at work!! OMG! I didn't think there would be so many comments regarding Poo!!

mary elizabeth  Williams well... it came up because someone was eating one of those activia yogurts. when i see someone eating one of those i can't help thinking about digestion, and the theme song which gets stuck in my head really, really easily. there is so many ads these days about fiber and digestion helpers, and the rest. argh.

message 14: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Activiaaaaaahhhhh... great... its in my head now...

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 90 comments Mod
You guys are great! You make my day! LOL