Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > Reading and Weight Issues

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I have always been overweight. I have never really been active because I look back now and most my time after 12 years old has been spent either reading or writing.

It was never emphasized by my folks to keep in shape. Plus me being 6' 1'' I am able to carry a few extra pounds. Now, that said I was wondering about the rest of us. I like to snack on sunflower seeds while reading. I don't like a lot of sweet snacks but I do have my binge days. Cookies, yum!

I have lost a lot of weight in the past but now with my health change my energy levels are WAY down. As hard as I try it is difficult to maintain any kind of exercise routine. So I wonder if anyone else suffers from just wanting to lay back and read and not worry about anything else? LOL. I mean yes I DO want to workout but most days I barely even think of anything else but my writing and reading. ***More later****

message 2: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments I like to drink green tea when I read. I try to keep away from snacks while reading as I don't usually register what I put into my mouth and next thing I know the whole packet is gone.

I too struggle with my exercise routine. There are some days where the thought of it just makes me cringe. I usually go out running however if i'm not up to it I go for a walk. I always feel fantastic after I exercise. I've adopted the Nike mantra "Just Do It!"

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 407 comments I am overweight as well, not by a whole lot but enough to make me really insecure.

I stay away from sweets but Coke is my downfall :(

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 13, 2009 09:55PM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments I want to buy a stationary bike so I can read and get some exercise. I have a gym membership but with all the travelling it has not been utilized.I let my daughter talk me out of the bike. She thought with the gym you are more social.. I may agree with that, but I do not go.
At least I would be using it on the weekends.

I would jump on the bike and watch TV, if something was on I was interested in, or read. I would definitely be getting more exercize than I am.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Mel: I agree. Doing anything "unconscious" especially eating is bad. I don't like to watch TV and snack b/c it seems like I never can eat enough. But sunflower seeds are a habit I have always had not just with reading. It's not so bad for me.

Drink DIET. LOL! It is not so bad and that's like 200 cals. plus a butt load of sugar saved each drink. Drink caff. free and your going down and even better road. Try doing 1 diet coke then the rest reg for a week then 2 the rest reg for 2 weeks and then you'll be up to 0 reg and all diet in no time. I have tried doing sparkpeople.com but I did not even find friends that I could relate to. Perhaps my GR friends would want to start a weight support chat?

Cheryl: You reminded me. I need to get the stat. bike out of my stepdad's car garage. I an do what you are saying. use it while watching TV or read on it. Sounds good!

message 6: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments So, ladies...I am overweight too. Have always been and so are most of the women on both sides of my family. I also eat 'unconsciously' which is an extremely bad habit I picked up when I gave up smoking. My weight stayed about the same for a few years, but then I stopped drinking diet cokes etc because I was getting a huge amount of headaches. Since giving up diet coke I don't get a fraction on the headaches but turning to coke has made me pile on the pounds!!
I work full time as a children's librarian and although I actually enjoy getting on my treadmill, I severely lack the motivation to do so. By the time I get home about 6pm I am had it and cannot be bothered at all. I used to really enjoy getting up in the mornings and do 40mins on the treadmill, but I'm not sleeping well (haven't for yonks) and so am tired when I get up!! So it would mean having to have earlier nights and that would in turn mean far less time to read. Vicious circle eh? So do how do you gals cope with it all??

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I have Bipolar. Half high emotion manic half low depression. I haven't had the right amount of energy since I was dxd in 2003. The meds I take completely depress my energy and my heart rate remains at 70 no matter what. As you may know you have to almost double your HR when doing cardio to burn a certain amount of cals. I don't mind not burn a ton of cals but I do want to try and get SOME workout time done a day. I am fortune to get 10-15 mins a day.

It is freezing right now outside so I don't do my down the block walks with my dog as much but I try ands down a few mins a day when watching TV. I think if I have a couple of ppl in the same boat with me to chat about my issues with that will help. I am here on GR everyday so I thought it would be better finding a buddy here than trying another site. Nothing to complicated. Just posting updates.

Ex(ercising): y or n
Eat right (no sweets y or n drink diet y or n 8 glasses of water x x x x x x x x)

something like that to copy and paste. It is the beginning of the year and another chance to start off fresh. So I'll see how today go=)

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Oh dear, we have found another thing in common. I've gained so much weight in the past year, I need to do something about it too. I've decided to make 2009 a year to work on getting fit and healthy, but I keep slipping.

I'm on sparkpeople, too, Kenjii, but I don't like hanging out there as much. Plus, too many sites to visit can be difficult.

I think I'm going to put on my thinking cap, and put together a bootcamp type of challenge for us to help us in our weight-loss campaign.

What do you think guys?

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) That's a great idea Yz. I need to get refocused on my exercise goals this year as well. I developed Plantar Fasciitis from running and was told to stay off the treadmill. The problem is that I don't really anything else that doesn't involve putting pressure on my foot. I have to do something though because I feel so much better when I work out regularly.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

wow... i was just talking about losing weight last night to my guy. i want to loss it for me.

i find that im on this sight so much. so a group chat in here works for me.

i find if i snack on veggies while reading works. u can buy them from Costco already cutup but don't eat the dip. but alone is great. i am not a huge pop drinker. i rather have real juice or water with lemon.

i am no way Skinny Minnie. at 6 feet. it shows a little more. i have never worked out in my life. so i am lazy there. but trying to eat right i have been better at. i know i do slip a lot but over all i try to eat what i should. i love snap peas i can eat so many which is better then chips and u can read and eat they fill u up. try it.. it might help..
it depends on who u want to live i figure if its veggie its better then chips so eat ur fill. don drink pop but water and juice go for it.. maybe its wrong but its better then junk..

i feel better talking to my GR friends. u all understand and we have this common thing called books. which a lot of people don't get. i am so happy to be here and so happy to have friends on here :)

message 11: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae | 5 comments I have learned to accept and like myself for who I am. I have always had a weight problem and I always will have one.
I look at it like this, if we were all a perfect size 2 (remember when it was a 6 or 8) the world would be boring.
Besides my husband likes my curves (He calls me his BBSW) and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Having said that...I wouldn't mind eating healthier. I definately could eat more veggies and instead of eating one meal a day, eat small throughout the day. It's hard to do that with my job though. I'll try it since y'all are.

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 14, 2009 08:32PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 407 comments Well said Daisiemae :) I wish I could be as happy as you are with my weight. I know my boyfriend doesnt mind it, he isnt superficial (like the rat bastard I divorced..) But still I have to come to terms with it myself I guess.. its a hard thing to do.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments YZ.. If your thinking of a challenge and of course YOU would be we are all in for a ride!!! BOOTCAMP type OMG!! LOL!!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Stephanie I am glad to have friends on here to that get me. The book thing is a weird thing to obesses over but I love it and I love being able to talk to people that get that.

Daisiemae, I love people that love me for me. But I honestly need to figure out how to lose weight and keep myself healthy. I will never be skinny but I need to be healthy.

k, this is neat. lots of us can at least have a place to chat about ur issues, goals and whatnot. BOOTCAMP will def. be worth it. I did not do a w/o (surprise, surprise). I did get u and go shopping even tho I did not sleep last night. I actually was able to to force myself up and out. got some stuff for breakfast and lunch. dinner is usually something quick and easy.

I can def. snack on veggies (carrot and celery w/o dip).

water 8x's (xxxx glasses)

no exercising but I walked through wal-mart for about 30 minutes.

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 15, 2009 04:24AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I can't say enough how pleased I am to meet you guys, and be able to talk about books and whatnot with all my GR friends. Right now, with hubby away (I'm in a long-distance relationship at the moment), and having no friends who are real readers, this place has filled a void for me. Thank you to everyone who has gamely joined our challenges. I hope you have as much fun completine them, as I have creating them.

The Bootcamp is being formulated in my head. I will probably reveal more details by next week, so we can discuss more. Although, I am thinking, we will probably launched it at the beginning of February.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments My "plan" is whenever I get up to go get something. I do 20-50 quick lunges or squats on the spots. Or when I quick about doing my TV workout I do it for 10-15 mins. So far I go that about once a week lol. I do my lunge/about once a day but its just b/c I have a bad memory. I am going to hang cards up or something to remind myself.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

that's a good idea about the cards.. every time u drink a glass a water or eat something put the card up. if u drank one glass a blue card. did exercise purple card. color code it so u make it fun. or what ever color makes sense to u.. u know i like that idea i might do it.. i work at Micheal's arts and craft store. so we have a lot of crafts to play with. :P hehe

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Not to let this thread go dead. But I am just waiting for Yz to decide what to do as far as BOOTCAMP. Thanks guys for sticking with me on this and wanting to plan something together and get healthier together. WOOHOO!

The card idea was a good one. I am good with making up associations to equal what I do. Tracking my food, exercising, water "FEW". F=, E=, W= then tracking it by xxxx's. 8x's for 8 glasses of water. 10 x's for 10 set's of squats every time I see the "squat" card. And eating I mark different. Say every time I have a high cal. snack. See? I hope that may help someone else too.

1/17/09
F= x
HCS was POP TART 430 cals x's 1)

E=xxx
squats X=10

W=x x x x x x x x x x
x=8 oz

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I haven't forgotten this part...LOL...Good start, Kenjii. I'm thinking of something simple like that..so you are definitely on to something. Still polishing ideas, but I like what you jotted down.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

ur doing great Kenjii.. way to go... :D
keep up the great work..

for me i am eating salads with dinner.. drinking more water and walking more.. we will all get there..

message 21: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jan 25, 2009 02:46AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Thanks guys I hope that you don't mind me tracking here. But it's easier for me to see my progress and share with friends=)

1/18/09
f=x
HCS- pop tart 430 cals

1/21/09
F= NO SNACK! YAY!
E= 0 =(
WATER= X X X X X X

1/22/08
E=XXXX
W= X X X X X X X X
F= 12 MINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1/23/09
F=FRIED CHERRY PIE 430 CALS, BUT I THINK I HAD THIS IN PLACE OF BREAKFAST.
E=XX
W= X X X X

1/24/09
F= FLAKY PASTRY (NO IDEA ON CALS. BUT I WOULD GUESS OVER 400)
E= O =( <<>>>
W=X X X X
e= xx
squats= 1x=10

1-19-09

f=x
hcs= pop tart 430 cals.

e= x x x
1x=10 squats

w= x x x x x x x x

1/20/08 IT'S A NEW DAY =D

F= POP TART 430 CALS (THIS IS TOTALLY BAD ADDICTION I NEED HELP TO BREAK. I EAT THIS ONLY ONCE A DAY BUT ITS SO HIGH IN CALS. AND I BARELY BREAK A SWEAT WORKING OUT)

E= X X X X
X= 1 SET OF 10 SQUATS

W= X X X X

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Steph: That is great. It is is pain but measuring ur dressing and keeping to low cal dressings like balsamic vinegar and stuff helps. Olives and pickled veggies give it zest! Do you use those spray 1 cal. dressings? Those are awesome!

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments No problem, Kenjii. Just track it here until the end of January.

By February, I think I will create a separate folder for our weightloss challenge, and everyone can create their own tracking thread...how does that sound so far?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: That sounds great! I like having somewhere to come and share and having others comment. Thanks.

message 25: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I know what you mean...and I don't want to track it in another site, which I rarely visit. Since I hang out far too much here in GRs anyway, why not just keep it here too...if you know what I mean..LOL..

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: Right? I know sparkpeople.com has tools and cool features, but if you don't go there daily you don't benefit. I like coming here like hourly and I can see myself updating more and wanting to report high exercise counts and water intake u know? Perhaps NO sugar that day, lol

message 27: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments I hate to sound like i've sold my soul to Nike but I bought myself a Nike/Ipod chip for christmas and it is FANTASTIC. It comes in two components - One chip for my shoe and the other that goes into my ipod. I upload all my data onto the Nikeplus website. I keep track of all my running (or walking) and I setup goals which really helps to keep me motivated. It's for people of all fitness levels. Highly recommended.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Mel: Cool! WTG Whatever works I say use it =)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments buddy alert example post(this is what I thought we could do for our weight loss challenge thread to keep track of each other's thread updates.)

thread update for buddy example
BA/(buddy name)/ your post # (telling your buddy when you update your post will be easy for your buddy to glance at you post and then cheer you on.)

Strikethrough tracking 3 days or older. I figure giving ur buddy 3 days to catch up to your weight loss tracking would be enough time. Plus a s/t would still be readable. I think we could continue with the same post for quite some time. Then delete the old info once the max characters are reached. Our post numbers could be like our "jersey" numbers LOL.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments with enough people we could be team "x" and team "x" like on biggest loser. the most pounds lost then we could challenge the other team to a reading challenge? or something to that effect...hehe...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I was editing my post but it didn't post. Oh well. I am tracking my food, water, and exercise and see that I have only missed a couple days of exercise. I will see if that has made any difference. Has anyone else been able to track theirs?

message 32: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Great job on your tracking, Kenjii. I haven't started mine yet..but I plan to...

Keep it up.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Today I did 3 sets of 10 squats. I cleaned up my room a bit. I am working on getting uo to 29 mins a day of cardio. The squats are def. helping my. legs. NO HIGH CAL. SNACKS!

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments See there you go!!. I just commented about how you inspire me on another thread, and here you are!!!

I only did one set of squats. I am always trying to do them in the morning before I go to work and run out of time.

We know that exercise is a natural anti depressant!!

Everyone, who really knows me can tell if I am not exercizing. I get the dolldrums!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Cheryl: Hehe. Yeah. I got the music on and whenever I see or think about my "squat note" I do 1-2 or more sets. I have my computer set up on my boxes. SO I am standing. That alone helps from sitting in my bed all day! Are you apart of the Weight Loss Challenge? If not you can always check in with us and chat =) we can lift each other up.

Keep up the great work Cheryl!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

i went to work today so i had my walking.. lol... i walked around the whole store more times then i could count. putting things away bending,lifting.

i am a cashier but when its slow down i do "Put-away's" it keeps me busy and its a challenge to try and put things away fast.. which means walk faster and when i get called to the front i jog up there which helps keep me going. and once the lines r down do it again.. they all know how much i love "put-away's" so i am always asked to do them :D by the time i get home my legs are killing me... my feet hurt and i feel good for doing something..

i have noticed something, since i started to read more i do eat a lot less. and drink more..
i enjoy reading and i cant imagine how i went so many years without reading..
that's my little input :) on what i do to keep me busy.. at work and home. :D

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Steph: Awesome! Great input and great that you are noticing changes in your activity during reading. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed that I told myself no snacking at night, only liquids and it has working. As you know I am up most nights. So the urge to midnight snack is hellish. For the most part if I do eat I wait until about 4 am and fix breakfast which can be 2 quick grits packs w/ milk 2 toasts and coffee. Trying to cut back to half portions. But the no snacking thing is working thus far.

2 sets of squats for 1-28-09

message 38: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 407 comments I didnt sign up, but was curious if I could participate? I was kinda confused at how this worked before so I didnt sign up hehe

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tricia wrote: "I didnt sign up, but was curious if I could participate? I was kinda confused at how this worked before so I didnt sign up hehe"

Me neither Tricia...

I think that if we look at it as a life style change and not a diet, it will be easier to change the bad habits.
I have only really had a weight problem since having children, but I should have known it was coming. My Mom is rather over weight.
I need to lose about 40 pounds. I carry most of it in the bottom half. I have a J-Lo booty. Which my hubby loves! But I would feel better if it were just a tad smaller.
Since the beginning of the year I have been walking on my treadmill and watching what I eat, well maybe just how much I eat. I have lost 10 pounds so far. I don't feel like I am depriving myself, because I am trying the lifestyle change method. Not the starvation route.

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 19, 2009 09:46AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Tricia and Stephanie,

The plan for this part of the group is to have a place where you can have your own tracking thread to keep you accountable on your weight-loss plan. Since, most of us are like GR addicts, we thought this is an easy place to do this, rather than signing up in another site.

Also, you get a buddy to cheer you on and to give advice when things get rough. I have to admit I have not been good on my accountability myself, but there are four ladies with buddies that are tracking very well.

If you want to join, you can just create your own thread, put your goals in, and track. We will be assigning new buddies by the beginning of March, so you will get one by then. In the meantime, everybody is kind enough to support everyone.

message 41: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 407 comments Ok. I am not sure how well I would so as a buddy, but I would definitely love to participate. I have been working out daily for about 4 days. So I thought it would be nice to keep track :D

I been starting out slow though since its been a long time since I have worked out and I am way out of shape lol.

message 42: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I've been horrible tracking myself, but I plan to get back on it soon.

Slow is fine, and having a group with friendly, supportive members can definitely boost us when we sometimes get lazy or just simply fall off the program.

Go ahead, and create your tracking thread. You will get support, one way or another.

message 43: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (tasha_the_booklover) | 85 comments Has anyone here heard of the 50 Million Pounds Challenge? One of my co-workers wants to start a team, and I was wondering if anyone here was apart of it? If not, maybe we could all get a team.

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) No - but I would join - as long as being in the UK does not stop me

message 45: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments That sounds like a good idea, Tasha. I need incentive to lose weight majorly...LOL

message 46: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'd join. Maybe that will get me motivated :)

message 47: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (tasha_the_booklover) | 85 comments I think it's only open to U.S. residents, but I'm not for sure. I just joined up today, but we haven't formed a team yet because we haven't come up with a name. So any suggestions you all could come up would be great.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Reading and Wieght Issues

Just noticed the subject line is misspelled. lol

message 49: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2009 05:53AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL..good point, Briansgirl. I took the liberty of correcting it. I hope whoever started the thread don't mind.

Now, it should be good.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I was just laughing thinking how long it had been there, spelled wrong, without us noticing it! lol

« previous 1