TV We've Just Watched discussion

Reality TV > American Idol

Comments Showing 1-50 of 652 (652 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 55 comments It's back...I'll probably dvr tonight's episode so I can catch biggest loser....I may explode from too much reality tv. :)

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 65 comments I usually only make it about half-way thru the season, but never miss the audition episodes... public humiliation and delusional singers... great TV!

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) My daughter and I are back "on the Idol scene" much to her husband's dismay ...

Question? Do you think the additional judge is a good or bad decision?

PS Simon seemed to have mellowed a bit since last season!

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 65 comments I'm not liking the new judge much... it'll be an interesting fit... and what's with the ties... apparently Simon has tie-breaking decision... now that's scary!

message 5: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) | 105 comments Lol - I am the exact opposite Heidi... I don't pick it up until they get past the "public humiliation and delusional singers." It physically pains me to watch them... Really, doesn't anyone in you life love you enough to sit you down and tell you "you suck" nicely.

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie Last night had some funny singers. I can't decide if I like Cara just yet. When she got up and belted out Mariah Carey to that girl in the bikini to show her up I didn't think that was very judge-like.

message 7: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I like Cara. I think she's a good addition.

message 8: by Tressa (last edited Jan 14, 2009 11:11PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I was thinking that adding the fourth judge would be a disaster like adding a cute kid on a dying sitcom, but I think Cara brings some intelligent insight to the judging. She does have experience, more so than Paula it seems. I thought she'd be a witch, but she really has some heart and can let down the bad ones without breaking them.

Anyone think that the producers told Paula that she'd better stay off drugs this season and get her act together or she's gone next season? I do. She's alert, forming cohesive sentences, and she's not about to slide out of her chair from muscle relaxers.

Why do some of these awful singers think they can carry a tune? Eight seasons of AI and they still don't get what the show is about? You have to be attractive enough for a basic makeover to do some good and be able to carry a tune. I felt bad for that really nice African-American with the deep voice. I picture him digging graves in a cemetery at midnight.

I love: the blind guy, the tall girl with the great smile, black, shiny hair and the black/white top on, the African-American mom of three who was the last to audition, the red-haired girl who stays with her grandmother, the man who lost his wife, the tall Indian, the smaller half of the sister rap duo (aw, that was so sweet). That's all I can think of right now. It'll take me weeks to know their names. Oh, I really don't think they should have picked the sort of flamboyant AA who sang Michael Jackson. He wasn't good enough.

I was shocked that bikini girl made it through. She sang the entire times with her top lip poked out like a duck. Not good at all. The women had it right. She also looks like a self-absorbed shrew. Can't wait to see her at the group auditions. Let the claws come out!

I just don't know about the performers who start off by saying their idols are Britney Spears and Michael Jackson. Ugh. You just know it's not going to be good.

Oh, I liked the two blue-collar workers, especially the first one.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie I think Paula was taking pills for a chronic back pain right?

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) She was and I understand that because I dealt with painful sciatica for over a year. And that was always her excuse, but who really knows what kind of influence she was under?

But it seemed like every show she was so out of it she couldn't string four words together to make a sentence; she couldn't even finish a sentence most times and she was acting bizarrely. I like her but if she couldn't be coherent during a months-long contest, she should have handed the reins over to someone else.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Ed wrote: "It's back...I'll probably dvr tonight's episode so I can catch biggest loser....I may explode from too much reality tv. :)"

Remember, Ed, it is said that "truth is stranger than fiction". Although I don't know who encourages some of these people!!!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I like Cara a lot. I think she's much better than Paula, but it's nice to see Paula with a little back up, you know? I hated bikini girl's attitude. That's definitely one spoiled brat that has never heard no in her life. She'll be eaten alive in the next round and we won't see her again. I loved the Casey (spelling?) girl who was one of the first on Wednesday nights show. She's the one all the judges kept saying had the whole package. Lots of high school age singers making it through so far. I was thinking how young they would have been when American Idol first started and that they had auditioning for it on their mind and have had time to work for it.

I totally agree with all your favorites so far Tressa! And I totally agree with the Britney and Michael lovers. It really really bothers me when these people are so completely surprised that they are actually terrible singers. They have no one in their lives who has been honest with them? Ever? It makes for fun tv though!!!

message 13: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) | 105 comments I had heard that the producers said around the time the added the 4th judge that the had no intent on replacing Paula. This was just a way to breathe new life into the show. Paula was an asset, blah blah blah, always a place for her at AI, blah blah blah...

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Trudy, we'll see if Paula's not quietly pushed out in the next year or two. Like I said, I like Paula. I appreciate the way she tries to soften the blow that is reality for these dreamers. I'm glad she's more coherent this year. I always grimaced from the awkwardness whenever she commented on the performances.

Can't wait to see which promising performers just disappear into obscurity or don't live up to their promise. Remember that guy last year whose father was in the music business decades ago and he progressively got worse as AI went along? He started choking and singing through his nose.

I LMAO last year at the faux rockers: Carly and the guy with glued on long hair. It's funny to see angry grrrrl singers like Carly and Avril Lavigne.

message 15: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) | 105 comments I don't remember the guy you are talking about, but it is interesting to watch certain ones in the theme weeks.

Some are strong singers, but you can see they just don't fit into the competition or don't want to fit into the competition...

I know they (the show) love when they "bring their own style to it" but lets face it... there is a mold they are looking to fill...

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Yes, they are searching for a certain look, and it seems like when those who don't have that look but win AI, they don't do so well in their future music careers, e.g., Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard. I'm actually surprised that Kelly and Carrie have taken off the way they have. Just looking at them on AI I never saw star quality, just good voices.

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie That scientist guy last night was funny!

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 65 comments I'll admit it.. I'm ready for the Hollywood episodes... I'm hoping this is the last of the audition weeks... they're all blending together.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie Aren't there three nights of auditions this week? So maybe next week will be Hollywood.

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm waiting for the Hollywood part to start....these audition rounds get monotonous to me after awhile

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Holli wrote: "I'm waiting for the Hollywood part to start....these audition rounds get monotonous to me after awhile"

Yes, there is another round of preliminary auditions tomorrow evening - surprise! However, it was announced this evening that Hollywood begins next week ... YEA!

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) After the sucky Florida auditions, there were some good voices in Salt Lake City. The girls were really good.

I thought the Osmond boy had a good voice and audition; it's almost like the four judges just HAD to say something negative. Maybe they were trying to make up for all those pathetic ringers they put through last year.

Tomorrow they're squeezing two cities into a one hour show, and Hollywood is next Tuesday. Woo hoo!

I want to see a foul-mouthed Diva tearing up the joint after getting insulted by the judges. There was one woman about two years ago who went on a bleeping rampage. The cameras even followed her down the street. Gotta love the drama.

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie So bikini girl is gone. What is going on there? Group day was drama! I always try to see if I can spot the next idol!

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) I like Jesse and Jasmine...they are my two favorites. My favorite guy I couldn't find...they only should him for like two seconds during auditions and I didn't know his name...so :( Oh well.

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie When it is so close to the beginning of the season I don't know anyone's name!

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I don't know anyone's name, either.

I think the next Idol will be the white guy with the square glasses whose wife died not long ago and whose friend was just booted off. He's got a great voice and isn't bad on the eyes.

There aren't any girls I like yet.

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) There are some really good guys this year. I have already made my mind up about those I like and don't like. And my two least favorite are Tatiana and the dude with the wierd headband and dramatic thing happening...not Norman Gentle...hes hilarious.

message 28: by Liz (last edited Feb 14, 2009 12:06PM) (new)

Liz (hissheep) Tressa wrote: "I don't know anyone's name, either.

I think the next Idol will be the white guy with the square glasses whose wife died not long ago and whose friend was just booted off. He's got a great voice an..."

I'm with you, Tressa! (Reminds me of Robert Downey, Jr.)

And, oh, PLEASE, may Tatiana be the first to be booed off!! Unfortunately she's an audience draw, like Sanjaya (sp?)! ;o)

message 29: by Holli (new)

Holli Tatiana drives me insane....she's gotta go. That hysterical laughter and squealing is ridiculous.

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Not to mention her need to keep singing to help the judges make up there minds! Shes gonna drive me crazzzzy

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Andrew wrote: "Not to mention her need to keep singing to help the judges make up there minds! Shes gonna drive me crazzzzy"

Get ready to vote! ;o)

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Liz, I told my husband right off the bat that the guy with glasses looks just like a young Robert Downey Jr.!

I think Tatiana has a touch of mental illness. I've never met anyone that annoying or self-centered. And most people have enough sense to stop singing, yet she continues to sing.

Doesn't the musical Dreamgirls have a scene where the auditioner is rejected but she doesn't give up and keeps on belting out snippets of song? If so, I credit that movie with the rise of idiot auditioneers who stand there and keep singing when they were clearly told to get the hell off the stage.

message 33: by Angie (new)

Angie Tatiana is a little off... I agree maybe sometime of disability? Or maybe that really is her personality. I could tell the judges were trying to tell Norman (Nick) to perform as Norman and not himself. We'll see how that goes.

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) OMG. There were about three performances I kinda liked last night: 1) Blonde with pink streak in her hair. Her voice is amazing and she wasn't lifeless up there. 2) Kill me now, but I actually enjoyed Tatiana's song. She has a much better voice than most of the other women. She reminds me of a Laura Nyro or Tracy Nelson, ample-figured and earth motherly. 3) Cokey (man who lost his wife) was very good.

But, was it '80s Night and I didn't hear it announced? The girls were dressed up in '80s garb: Dynasty gold; aqua tops; skintight hair band pants; poofy hair; gawdy jewelry. Ugh.

Two of the forgettable brunettes looked scared and handled a mic like they'd never seen one before. One actually had deer eyes.

The auditions seemed to showcase some good personalities and voices, but now that it's crunch time these people are NOT delivering.

message 35: by Holli (last edited Feb 18, 2009 12:50PM) (new)

Holli Well Tressa....it seems the 80's are back in style now. Really. Hard as it is to comprehend the teens actually want to wear those godawful colors, spandex pants, the Aqua Netted hair in high ponytails, and rubber jewelry again. Its disgusting. I just saw a girl wearing a sweater vest in the mall...the ones with the open sides...oh yeah. Freaked me out. I did it once already...i refuse to do it again. LOL

Alexis is who you are speaking off and I loved her. Danny Gokey was great and those were the only two I liked. :)

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I liked Alexis and Danny, as well. I liked Anoop, too. I can't see him making it all the way to number one, but he's unique and pretty talented. I liked the Ricky Braddy guy who sang second, but he's forgettable so I'm thinking we won't see him again after tonight. The theme for these first rounds is top 100 Billboard chart songs. It's my understanding that American Idol has a list of songs that the show already has the licensing for and the singers have to choose from that. I hate when the judges get on the singers about song choice when clearly they can't exactly choose any song they want. Remember last season when David Archuleta sang Stand By Me and then threw in the Sean Kingston bit? They got in BIG trouble for that one and had to throw some money around to clear it up.

message 37: by Angie (new)

Angie I felt a little sad for Tatiana! I actually thought she could really sing!

message 38: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Yes, Angie, I agree with you (sadly) but what she did when she didn't make it made me want to slap her! She was taking away from Danny's moment. No one really broke down on camera but her. So I was like way to dramatic! But She will probably get a second chance with the wild card show.

message 39: by Angie (new)

Angie I didn't know about a wild card show!

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I sure hope she doesn't make it in to the top 12 because of the wild card show! She is a good singer, but she's a bit off. She's got such a strange way about her with the fixing the hair and posing like a pageant contestant. I think the tv producers were a bit disappointed she didn't have more theatrics to share. I'm hoping to not see her again.

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Melissa, I couldn't agree more, but currently I am taking a TV production class, and I have to say I'm pretty sure she will be back on. She makes good t.v. and people, sadly these days are only about ratings.

message 42: by Angie (new)

Angie She is a total diva before she is even a diva!

message 43: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Total Diva. I couldn't believer they put her through. She doesn't have the greatest voice and she isn't emotionally ready.

message 44: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I don't even know if I could choose three people from last night to make it through to the next round. "Bette Davis Eyes"? "Man in the Mirror"?

I guess I'd choose the red-haired girl who sang "Alone," but that's about it for me.

The 28-year-old looked like she was rabid the way she was jumping up there on the stage. Tone it down, people!

Wait, I think the last singer got good reviews from the judges, but I can't even remember. Must've been the Ambien that took last night's memory from me.

Most of these contestants were really good in the auditions and Hollywood, but they are stinking up the stage at this point in the contest.

message 45: by Angie (new)

Angie Last night wasn't the greatest. And song choices last night were bad! Too bad some of the people from the week before weren't mixed into last night.

The girl who sang alone can really sing. And Norman... I don't know if he should keep going or not? At least he is entertaining.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Oh, yeah, I forgot about Norman. He's not going to make it unless votefortheworst.com has anything to do with it. Norman is really annoying. There were many other deserving people who should be standing where Norman is standing right now. It's ridiculous for the judges to have kept him in this long.

He is not funny but is rather pathetic because it seems like he's afraid of failing as Norman and uses this unfunny caricature to get through the difficult parts of life.

message 47: by Holli (new)

Holli That's exactly what I said over in Chicks on Lit Tressa!!! I definitely feel he uses this character to not have to deal with rejection or performance anxiety or whatever.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) LOL. I swear I haven't read your comment in that thread. With all my Goodreads boards I mainly have time to only check out The Gargoyle thread over there. But, hey, great minds think alike.

I've thought this all along. I told DH the second then third time he made it through that he could handle failing as the "comedian" but couldn't handle failing as Norman. Pretty sad. DH just thinks he's trying to start a comedy career, but he ain't funny enough by a long shot.

message 49: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh no, I didn't mean you were copying me. Just that we had the same idea about him ;)

It is sad huh? His voice actually isn't that bad...i wish he would use it without all of the rest.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Oh, I know you weren't implying that. I bet more people than us have that idea about him. His voice isn't bad, but it's certainly not good enough to take him to the point where he stands right now in the competition.

Danny's friend was much better than this guy, and that would have made for better TV, IMO.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14