Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2012 Challenge Archive > The Decades Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 345) (345 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Hi Everyone!

It's time for a new challenge!

This is The Decades Challenge, so please join us for a little blast from the past!

I am posting this challenge a little early so all of you planners can get your books in order. It officially begins July 1st and will run for 6 months.

Let's have some fun as we stroll through the decades :)

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2012 08:15AM) (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Yowza! It's going to be a Groovy, Cool, Tubular, Rockin' Time- it's The Decades Challenge

This is a 6 month challenge where you may read 2 decades or more, from 10-30 books.

You must choose the decade you were born in as one of your options.

You may choose as many more decades as you like as long as your birth decade is included.

When you make a decade choice you must read all choices in that decade to receive credit for that decade.

There is no minimum page count, re-reads and audio books are allowed.

This challenge runs from July 1, 2012- January 1st, 2013. Please feel free to jump in at any time during the 6 months :)

Have a totally rad, zany, crazy, awesome time!

The 1940's:

1. Song- White Christmas by Bing Crosby- Read a book with a Christmas-time setting, the word 'Christmas' in the title or has a mostly white cover.
2. Movie-Casablanca- Read a book about WW11, or a book reuniting old lovers or a book with a character that plays the piano.
3.TV Show-Howdy Doody (the first nationwide broadcast of a children's show)- Read a YA novel or a book that features a child prominantly in the story.
4. Popular Books of the 40's- Read a book from the following shelf or any book published in the 40's or any book set in the 40's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/23...
5. Fad- Slinky- Read an Erotic book or a book with a child's toy on the cover.

The 1950's:

1.Song- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis- read a book with fire on the cover, the word 'fire' in the title or a book with cousins in the storyline.
2.Movie- Some Like It Hot- read a humorous book or a book with a hot guy on the cover.
3.TV Show- The Honeymooners- read a book with a married couple, has a NY setting, or has a couple on their honeymoon.
4.Popular Books of the 50's- read a book found on the following shelf or any book published in the 50's or any book set in the 50's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/22...
5.Fad- Hula Hoop- read a book with a round object on the cover or a book with a title that has the same first letters (i.e. Totally Tubular, Cowboy Cassanova)

The 1960's:

1.Song-I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye- read a book with a gossipy character or a book with fruit on the cover.
2.Movie-Bonnie and Clyde- read a crime novel or a book set during the time period of the Great Depression (1929-1940) or a book with a car or gun on the cover.
3.TV Show- The Munsters- read a book with monsters (i.e. vampires, werewolves, etc.) or a book with a character who feels like an outsider in their family.
4.Popular Books of the 60's- read a book found on the following shelf or any book published in the 60's or any book set in the 60's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/18...
5.Fad- Flower Power- read a book with flowers on the cover, or a book set in San Francisco, or a book with characters that take drugs or a book that shows the horrors of war.

The 1970's:

1.Song- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin- read a book with angels or the devil in the story or a book with the word heaven, angel, devil or stairway in the title.
2.Movie- The Godfather- read a book with an Italian author or a book with a setting in Italy or NY or a book with an Italian character or a character who is the Godfather to a child.
3.TV Show- All In The Family- read a book that has a character with a prejudice, or a book where a married couple live with their parents or a book set in Queens, NY.
4.Popular Books of the 1970's-read a book found on this shelf or any book published in the 70's or any book set in the 70's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...
5.Fad- Disco music- read a book featuring a musician or a dancer, or a book with musical notes,a musical instrument, a disco ball, or dancers on the cover.

The 1980's:

1.Song- Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen- read a book by an American author, a book set in the U.S. or a book with a red,white and blue cover.
2.Movie- Back to the Future- read a time-travel novel, or a book featuring a sports car in the story or on the cover.
3.TV Show- Cheers- read a book centering on friends, or a book with a scene in a bar, or a book with a drink on the cover.
4.Popular Books of the 1980's- read a book found on the following shelf or any book published in the 80's or any book set in the 80's - http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9....
5.Fad- Classic Coke- read a book considered a 'classic' or a book featuring a character with a failed relationship/profession/idea, etc.

The 1990's:

1.Song- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion- read a romance novel, or a book with a heart on the cover or a book with a Canadian setting or author.
2.Movie-Titanic- read a book set on a ship, or a book with a ship on the cover or a book that has a couple where one is rich and one is poor.
3.TV Show- E.R.- read a novel with a scene in a hospital setting, a book with doctors, or a book written by an author who uses their initials.
4.Popular Books of the 1990's- Read a book found on the following shelf - or any book published in the 90's or any book set in the 90's http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/17...
5.Fad- Beanie Babies- read a book that has an animal in the story (a real animal, not an other-worldy creature) or on the cover, or a book where a character is a collector of some kind.

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2012 01:15PM) (new)

Fran | 9116 comments The Challenge above has been edited for #4 to include the choices of any book published in that decade or any book set in that decade. You do not have to choose exclusively from the decade shelf provided.

message 4: by Hina (new)

Hina | 2579 comments Fran another great challenge!!!

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Thanks Hina!

Feel free to post your selections whenever you are ready- no need to wait until July 1st to post, just to start reading :)

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments of course i'm in...books to follow ;)

My birth decade - 1980's

message 7: by Christine (Cagnes) (last edited Jun 28, 2012 09:32AM) (new)

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 118 comments Sounds fun, I'm in!

RRRC The Decades Challenge
Duration: July 1, 2012- January 1st, 2013

The 1960's:

The 1970's:

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) | 280 comments I am in for the 1970's and probably another. that I will post as I go.

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 644 comments Can we post as we go, or must we have our books chosen up front?

I'm in for the 1960`s and at least one more. Great idea Fran!

message 10: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Thanks Nicola :)

You can post as you go. I'm also in for the 1960's and at least one more :)

message 11: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jun 28, 2012 10:10AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3014 comments READ: 0/25

The 1950's:
1. Firelight - Kristen Callihan (fire in title)
2. Haunting Warrior - Erin Quinn (hot guy on the cover)
3. Pack of Lies - Laura Ann Gilman (set in New York)
4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis (#3 on list)
5. Photographs & Phantoms - Cindy Spencer Pape
Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan Haunting Warrior (Mists of Ireland, #2) by Erin Quinn Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2) by Laura Anne Gilman The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #2) by C.S. Lewis Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2) by Cindy Spencer Pape

The 1960's: (I was born in 1967)
1. Welcome to Temptation - Jennifer Crusie (apple on the cover)
2. Shoot to Thrill - Nina Bruhns (gun on the cover)
3.One With the Darkness - Susan Squires (vampires)
4.The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle (#41 on list)
5.Weekend Warriors - Fern Michaels (flowers on the cover)
Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1) by Jennifer Crusie Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1) by Nina Bruhns One With the Darkness (Companion, #6) by Susan Squires The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) by Fern Michaels

The 1970's:
1. Host - Faith Hunter (angels)
2. Secret Life of a Vampire - Kerrelyn Sparks (set in Italy)
3. read a book that has a character with a prejudice or a book set in Queens, NY.
4. Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson (#54 on list)
5. The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3) - Grace Burrowes (hero is a pianist)
Host (Rogue Mage, #3) by Faith Hunter Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake, #6) by Kerrelyn Sparks[TBD] Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3)(Windham, #3) by Grace Burrowes

The 1980's:
1. Pretty in Ink - Karen Olson (red,white and blue cover)
2. The Highlander's Fury - Maeve Greyson (time travel)
3. Straight Talking - Jane Green (centering on friends)
4.The Accidental Tourist - Anne Tyler (#48 on list)
5. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein (classic)
Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery #2) by Karen E. Olson The Highlander's Fury by Maeve Greyson Straight Talking by Jane Green The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The 1990's:
1. Born To Be Wild - Catherine Coulter (romance)
2. Mad Ship - Robin Hobb (set on a ship)
3. Walking Dead - C.E. Murphy
4. A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin (#13 on list)
5. On Ice - David Ramus (horse on cover)
Born To Be Wild by Catherine Coulter Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2) by Robin Hobb Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4) by C.E. Murphy A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin On Ice by David Ramus

message 12: by Rishika (last edited Jun 28, 2012 10:12AM) (new)

Rishika | 136 comments i m born in 1980 and 1960, i will post as i go. great challege

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in for the 1980s and 1940s AT LEAST. Awesome challenge!

message 14: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 4063 comments Oh, this sounds like so much fun! I'm definitely in, not sure how many decades yet, the 60s for sure, and probably several more.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

DURATION
: July 1, 2012- January 1st, 2013

--> 1940's
1. Last Christmas by Julia Williams
2. Read a book about WW11, or a book reuniting old lovers or a book with a character that plays the piano.
3. Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
4. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
5. Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James

Last Christmas by Julia Williams ? Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James

--> 1950's
1. Read a book with fire on the cover, the word 'fire' in the title or a book with cousins in the storyline.
2. Read a humorous book or a book with a hot guy on the cover.
3. Fairytale of New York by Miranda Dickinson
4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
5. Read a book with a round object on the cover or a book with a title that has the same first letters.

? ? Fairytale of New York by Miranda Dickinson Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov ?

--> 1960's
1. Read a book with a gossipy character or a book with fruit on the cover.
2. Read a crime novel or a book set during the time period of the Great Depression (1929-1940) or a book with a car or gun on the cover.
3. Read a book with monsters (i.e. vampires, werewolves, etc.) or a book with a character who feels like an outsider in their family.
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
5. Read a book with flowers on the cover, or a book set in San Francisco, or a book with characters that take drugs or a book that shows the horrors of war.

? ? ? To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee ?

--> 1970's
1. Read a book with angels or the devil in the story or a book with the word heaven, angel, devil or stairway in the title.
2.Movie- The Godfather- read a book with an Italian author or a book with a setting in Italy or NY or a book with an Italian character or a character who is the Godfather to a child.
3. Read a book that has a character with a prejudice, or a book where a married couple live with their parents or a book set in Queens, NY.
4. Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
5. Read a book featuring a musician or a dancer, or a book with musical notes, a musical instrument, a disco ball, or dancers on the cover.

? ? ? Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice ?

--> 1980's
1. Read a book by an American author, a book set in the U.S. or a book with a red,white and blue cover.
2. Read a time-travel novel, or a book featuring a sports car in the story or on the cover.
3. Read a book centering on friends, or a book with a scene in a bar, or a book with a drink on the cover.
4. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
5. Read a book considered a 'classic' or a book featuring a character with a failed relationship/profession/idea, etc.

? ? ? The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera ?

--> 1990's
1. Read a romance novel, or a book with a heart on the cover or a book with a Canadian setting or author.
2. Read a book set on a ship, or a book with a ship on the cover or a book that has a couple where one is rich and one is poor.
3. Read a novel with a scene in a hospital setting, a book with doctors, or a book written by an author who uses their initials.
4. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
5. Read a book that has an animal in the story (a real animal, not an other-worldy creature) or on the cover, or a book where a character is a collector of some kind.

? ? ? Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1) by Helen Fielding ?

message 16: by Hina (last edited Jul 02, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Hina | 2579 comments 1/30 Completed

The 1940's:

1. Song- White Christmas by Bing Crosby - Marry-Me Christmas by Shirly Jump.
2. Movie-Casablanca- Unlawful Contact by Pamela Clare.
3.TV Show-Howdy Doody - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.
4. Popular Books of the 40's- Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer.
5. Fad- Slinky- South Beach by Lacey Alexander.

The 1950's:

1.Song- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis- Fire and Ice by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
2.Movie- Some Like It Hot- The Grand Finale by Janet Evanovich
3.TV Show- The Honeymooners- Purity in Death by J.D. Robb.
4.Popular Books of the 50's- The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer.
5.Fad- Hula Hoop- Wild Wild Widow, An Erotic Romance by Emma Jay.

The 1960's:

1.Song-I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye- read a book with a gossipy character or a book with fruit on the cover.
2.Movie-Bonnie and Clyde- read a crime novel or a book set during the time period of the Great Depression (1929-1940) or a book with a car or gun on the cover.
3.TV Show- The Munsters- Lycan Vengeance by S.K. Yule.
4.Popular Books of the 60's- read a book found on the following shelf- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/18...
5.Fad- Flower Power- read a book with flowers on the cover, or a book set in San Francisco, or a book with characters that take drugs or a book that shows the horrors of war.

The 1970's:

1.Song- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin- Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione.
2.Movie- The Godfather- Italian Prince, Wedlocked Wife (Red-Hot Revenge) by Jennie Lucas.
3.TV Show- All In The Family- read a book that has a character with a prejudice, or a book where a married couple live with their parents or a book set in Queens, NY.
4.Popular Books of the 1970's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...
5.Fad- Disco music- read a book featuring a musician or a dancer, or a book with musical notes,a musical instrument, a disco ball, or dancers on the cover.

The 1980's:

1.Song- Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen- read a book by an American author, a book set in the U.S. or a book with a red,white and blue cover.
2.Movie- Back to the Future- The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning.
3.TV Show- Cheers- read a book centering on friends, or a book with a scene in a bar, or a book with a drink on the cover.
4.Popular Books of the 1980's- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams.
5.Fad- Classic Coke- read a book considered a 'classic' or a book featuring a character with a failed relationship/profession/idea, etc.

The 1990's:

1.Song- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion- Simply Scandalous by Carly Phillips.
2.Movie-Titanic- Midnight Sun by M.J. Fredrick.
3.TV Show- E.R.- The Dragon Who Loved Me by G.A. Aiken.
4.Popular Books of the 1990's- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.
5.Fad- Beanie Babies (dog)- A Highlander Christmas by Janet Chapman. Completed 7/2/12 **** (4 Stars)

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I'm in for the 1970s at least....

message 18: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1582 comments I'm in for the 1960's and at least one more decade

message 19: by Wan (last edited Nov 18, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 2081 comments I'm in for at least 3 decades. Will post as I go.

message 20: by Shell (last edited Aug 03, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

Shell The Decades Challenge (July 1, 2012 - Jan 1, 2013)
3/10 completed updated August 3, 2012

The 1970's: (My birth decade)

1.Song- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin- Crave 4 stars July 8, 2012
2.Movie- The Godfather- Envy
3.TV Show- All In The Family- Duty & Devotion
4.Popular Books of the 1970's- Crocodile on the Sandbank (#158 on list)
5.Fad- Disco music- Dance With Me

Crave (The Fallen Angels, #2) by J.R. Ward Envy (The Fallen Angels, #3) by J.R. Ward Duty & Devotion (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3) by Tere Michaels Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters Dance With Me by Heidi Cullinan

The 1990's:(My eldest son's birth decade)

1.Song- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion- The Dark Highlander 4 stars July 5, 2012
2.Movie-Titanic- Kiss an Angel 3 stars July 17, 2012
3.TV Show- E.R.- Immortal in Death
4.Popular Books of the 1990's- Relic (#252 on the list)
5.Fad- Beanie Babies- Animal Attraction

The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) by J.D. Robb Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2) by Jill Shalvis

message 21: by Lauren (last edited Jun 28, 2012 01:25PM) (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) I'm in and as I'm feeling adventurous, I will try for all decades.

Completed: 0/30

The 1940's:

1. Song (White Christmas by Bing Crosby) - Christmas in Title: A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas
2. Movie (Casablanca) - reuniting old lovers: No Place to Run by Maya Banks
3. TV Show (Howdy Doody) - YA novel or features a child:
4. Popular Books of the 40's:
5. Fad (Slinky) Erotic:

The 1950's:

1. Song (Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis)-'fire' in the title: Witch Fire by Anya Bast
2. Movie (Some Like It Hot) - hot guy on the cover:
3. TV Show (The Honeymooners) married couple, or a NY setting:
4. Popular Books of the 50's:
5. Fad (Hula Hoop) double letter title: Darkness Dawns by Diane Duvall

The 1960's:

1. Song (I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye) - gossipy character or fruit:
2. Movie (Bonnie and Clyde) - crime novel:
3. TV Show (The Munsters) - Monsters:
4. Popular Books of the 60's:
5. Fad (Flower Power) - flowers on cover: Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

The 1970's:

1.Song (Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin) - angels: The Darkest Secret by Gena Showalter
2. Movie (The Godfather) - Italian author or character, set in Italy or NY:
3. TV Show (All In The Family) - prejudiced character: Crossroads by Moira Rogers
4. Popular Books of the 1970's:
5. Fad (Disco music )- musician or a dancer, or musical notes,instrument, disco ball, or dancers on the cover:

The 1980's:

1. Song (Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen) - American author, set in the U.S. or red,white and blue cover:
2. Movie (Back to the Future)- Time Travel: Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
3. TV Show (Cheers) - centering on friends, or a scene in a bar, or a drink on the cover:
4. Popular Books of the 1980's:
5. Fad (Classic Coke) - a 'classic' or a character with a failed relationship/profession/idea, etc.:

The 1990's:

1. Song (My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion) - romance novel:
2. Movie (Titanic) - set on a ship, a ship on the cover or rich/poor couple:
3. TV Show (E.R.) - author initials: About a Dragon by G.A. Aiken
4. Popular Books of the 1990's:
5. Fad (Beanie Babies) - an animal in the story or on the cover:

message 22: by Elke (last edited Jun 30, 2012 09:23AM) (new)

Elke (ejurca) | 1737 comments The Decades Challenge

July 1, 2012-January 1, 2013

0/10 Completed-Updated 6/30/12

1970's (my decade)

1. Rapture by J.R. Ward
2. Gabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard
3. TBD
4. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
5. Try Me by Olivia Cunning

Rapture (The Fallen Angels, #4) by J.R. Ward Gabriel's Rapture (Gabriel's Inferno, #2 ) by Sylvain Reynard Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Try Me (One Night with Sole Regret, #1) by Olivia Cunning

1940's

1. All I Want for Christmas is You by Lisa Mondello
2. The Last Good Man by Kathleen Eagle
3. Switched by Amanda Hocking
4. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
5. The Perfect Play by Jaci Burton

All I Want for Christmas is You by Lisa Mondello The Last Good Man by Kathleen Eagle Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (Scoutmomskf) | 1319 comments I'm in. Definitely the 1960's, and however many more I can do. I'll post as I go.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan (Celtic_Girl) | 118 comments I'm in for the 1940's, 1980's & 1990's!

Duration: July 1, 2012- January 1st, 2013
Completed: 0/15

The 1940's:

1. Song- White Christmas by Bing Crosby- Read a book with a Christmas-time setting, the word 'Christmas' in the title or has a mostly white cover.
2. Movie-Casablanca- Read a book about WW11, or a book reuniting old lovers or a book with a character that plays the piano.
3.TV Show-Howdy Doody (the first nationwide broadcast of a children's show)- Read a YA novel or a book that features a child prominantly in the story.
4. Popular Books of the 40's- Read a book from the following shelf or any book published in the 40's or any book set in the 40's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/23...
5. Fad- Slinky- Read a book with a child's toy on the cover.

The 1980's:

2.Movie- Back to the Future- read a time-travel novel, or a book featuring a sports car in the story or on the cover.
4.Popular Books of the 1980's- read a book found on the following shelf or any book published in the 80's or any book set in the 80's - http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9....

The 1990's:

1.Song- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion- read a romance novel, or a book with a heart on the cover or a book with a Canadian setting or author.
2.Movie-Titanic- read a book set on a ship, or a book with a ship on the cover or a book that has a couple where one is rich and one is poor.
3.TV Show- E.R.- read a novel with a scene in a hospital setting, a book with doctors, or a book written by an author who uses their initials.
4.Popular Books of the 1990's- Read a book found on the following shelf - or any book published in the 90's or any book set in the 90's http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/17...
5.Fad- Beanie Babies- read a book that has an animal in the story (a real animal, not an other-worldy creature) or on the cover, or a book where a character is a collector of some kind.

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2012 12:22AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 13552 comments Great challenge Fran!

I'm in for the '60s and at least one more - just have to see how my books fall ;)

The 1940's:

5. Fad- Slinky- Read an Erotic book or a book with a child's toy on the cover.

The 1950's:

1.Song- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis- read a book with fire on the cover, the word 'fire' in the title or a book with cousins in the storyline.
2.Movie- Some Like It Hot- read a humorous book or a book with a hot guy on the cover.
3.TV Show- The Honeymooners- read a book with a married couple, has a NY setting, or has a couple on their honeymoon.
4.Popular Books of the 50's- read a book found on the following shelf or any book published in the 50's or any book set in the 50's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/22...
5.Fad- Hula Hoop- read a book with a round object on the cover or a book with a title that has the same first letters (i.e. Totally Tubular, Cowboy Cassanova)

The 1960's:

3.TV Show- The Munsters- read a book with monsters (i.e. vampires, werewolves, etc.) or a book with a character who feels like an outsider in their family.
4.Popular Books of the 60's- read a book found on the following shelf or any book published in the 60's or any book set in the 60's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/18...

The 1970's:

1.Song- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin- read a book with angels or the devil in the story or a book with the word heaven, angel, devil or stairway in the title.
4.Popular Books of the 1970's read a book found on this shelf or any book published in the 70's or any book set in the 70's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

The 1980's:

The 1990's:

message 26: by ~Sara~ (last edited Aug 28, 2012 08:55AM) (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments Fantastic challenge Fran!
I'm up for the 70's, and 90's at least and I'll see how much farther I can get before I go back to school in September.

The 1970's:

3.TV Show - All In The Family - prejudice - North and South
4.Popular Books of the 1970's - Watership Down I've read #1 so I'll go for #2. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for years!

message 27: by Juana "Darkness" (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 384 comments Updates: More Coming

Sounds Great. I'm in.

The Decades Challenge
Duration: July 1st, 2012- January 2013

1940's

1. Song: White Christmas by Bing Crosby-

2. Movie: Casablanca-

3. T.V. Show: Howdy Doody- The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong Completed: July 17, 2012

4. Popular Books of the 1940's: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank Completed: September 6, 2012

5. Fad: Slinky-

1950's

1. Song: Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis- the Darkest Fire by Gena Showalter The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld, #0.5 Prequel) by Gena Showalter Completed: July 30, 2012

2. Movie: Some Like it Hot- Vampire Mine by Kerrelyn Sparks Vampire Mine (Love at Stake, #10) by Kerrelyn Sparks Completed: August 15, 2012

3. T.v. Show: The Honeymooners-

4. Popular Books of the 1950's: Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Cotillion  by Georgette Heyer Completed: September 9, 2012

5. Fad: Hula Hoop- The Rustler by Linda Lael Miller The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3) by Linda Lael Miller Completed: July 4, 2012

1960's

1. Song: I heard it through the grapevine by Marvin Gaye-

2. Movie: Bonnie and Clyde-

3. T.v. show: The Munsters- Eat Prey Love by Kerrelyn Sparks Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9) by Kerrelyn Sparks Completed: August 11, 2012

4. Popular Books of the 1960's: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton Completed: July 30, 2012

5. Fad: Flower Power- The China Garden by Liz Berry The China Garden by Liz Berry Completed: July 13, 2012

1970's

1. Song: Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin- Where Demons Fear to Tread by Stephanie Chong Where Demons Fear to Tread (The Company of Angels, #1) by Stephanie Chong
Completed: July 24, 2012

2. Movie: The Godfather- Juliet Immortal by Stacy Jay Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal, #1) by Stacey Jay Completed: September 24, 2012

3. T.v. Show: All in the Family- Body of Sin by Eve Silver Body of Sin (Otherkin, #4) by Eve Silver Completed: September 13, 2012

4. Popular Books of the 1970's: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt Completed: August 19, 2012

5. Fad: Disco Music- Vision in White by Nora Roberts Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts Completed: August 22, 2012

1980's

1. Song: Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen- Playing Dirty by Susan Andersen Playing Dirty (Sisterhood Diaries, #3) by Susan Andersen Completed: September 19, 2012

2. Movie: Back to the Future- Night's Kiss by Amanda Ashley Night's Kiss (My Night, #1) by Amanda Ashley Completed: September 21, 2012

3. T.v. Show: Cheers- Twisted by Gena ShowalterTwisted (Intertwined, #3) by Gena Showalter Completed: September 1, 2012

4. Popular Books of the 1980's: Matilda by Roald Dahl Matilda by Roald Dahl Completed: July 7, 2012

5. Fad: Classic Coke- Montana Creeds: Dylan by Linda Lael Miller Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) by Linda Lael Miller Completed: September 23, 2012

1990's

1. Song: My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion- Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Completed: July 28, 2012

2. Movie: Titanic- Nightmare on the Titanic by William Caper Nightmare on the Titanic by William Caper Completed: September 20, 2012

3. T.v. Show: ER- The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Completed: July 9, 2012

4. Popular Books of the 1990's: The Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4) by Tamora Pierce Completed: July 10,2012

5. Fad: Beanie Babies-

message 28: by JessicaAnn (new)

JessicaAnn Lillis (jeskalillis) I wanna join in.

Decades Challenge
July-January

My birth decade:
The 1980's:

Decade of choice:
The 1990's:

message 29: by Alexis (last edited Jul 18, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

Alexis (LexaReads) | 375 comments Decades Challenge
July 1, 2012 - January 1, 2013
6/10-30

I'm going to plan one decade at a time

1990s (My Decade) - Completed
1. My Heart Will Go On:
Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins 7/7
2. Titanic: Island Heat by Sarah Mayberry 7/18
3. E.R.: Pleasure Unbound 7/3
4. 90's Book: Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath 7/13
5. Beanie Babies: Willow Springs by Toni Blake 7/5

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Willow Springs (Destiny, #5) by Toni Blake Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) by Lorraine Heath Island Heat by Sarah Mayberry

1980s
1. Born in the USA:
Ride with Me by Ruthie Knox 7/10
2. Back to the Future: Hard and Fast by Erin McCarthy
3. Cheers: Joy For Beginners by Erica Bauermeister
4. 80's Book: A Heart So Wild by Johanna Lindsey
5. Classic Coke: Forever and a Day by Jill Shalvis

Ride with Me by Ruthie Knox

message 30: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (Schmoozy) | 83 comments What a great concept for a challenge! I'm in!

Decades Challenge
July 1, 2012- January 1st, 2013.
0/?

The 1970's:

4.Popular Books of the 1970's read a book found on this shelf or any book published in the 70's or any book set in the 70's- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

message 31: by Tina "IRead2Escape" (last edited Nov 09, 2012 08:22AM) (new)

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 1102 comments Decades Challenge
7/1/12 - 1/1/13
7/10

The 1970's:

1.Song - Rapture by JR Ward 11/9 ***
2.Movie - Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich
3.TV Show - Lady Luck by Kristen Ashley 8/6 ****
4.Popular Books of the 1970's - Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
5.Fad - Midnight Alley by Rachel Caine 7/19 ***

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice Rapture (The Fallen Angels, #4) by J.R. Ward Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11) by Janet Evanovich Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) by Rachel Caine Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3) by Kristen Ashley

The 1990's:

1.Song - Lucky in Love by Jill Shalvis 7/23 *****
2.Movie - Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James 7/21 ***
3.TV Show - Delusion in Death by J.D. Robb 9/28 (4 Stars)
4.Popular Books of the 1990's - Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley
5.Fad - Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson 7/27 *****

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley Delusion in Death (In Death, #35) by J.D. Robb Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) by E.L. James Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) by Jill Shalvis Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson

message 32: by Ely (new)

Ely This is going to be so much fun!! Gotta think of my books!!! My birth Decade is the 1990's!

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 758 comments What a great challenge!
I'll be doing the 1980's-my birth decade and the 1990's.

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather (HeatherMB) | 48 comments This is an awesome challenge!

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3932 comments RRRC The Decades Challenge
July 1, 2012- January 1st, 2013

0/10 Completed

The 1950's:

1.Song- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis- Firelight
2.Movie- Some Like It Hot- Vampire Vendetta
3.TV Show- The Honeymooners- Rapture in Death
4.Popular Books of the 50's- Venom House
5.Fad- Hula Hoop- The Perfect Poison

Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan Vampire Vendetta (Harlequin Nocturne, #88) by Alexis Morgan Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb Venom House by Arthur W. Upfield The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6) by Amanda Quick

The 1960's:

1.Song-I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye- Welcome to Temptation
2.Movie-Bonnie and Clyde- Death's Mistress
3.TV Show- The Munsters- Midnight's Daughter
4.Popular Books of the 60's- The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax
5.Fad- Flower Power- Tangle of Need

Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys #1) by Jennifer Crusie Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax #1) by Dorothy Gilman Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling, #11) by Nalini Singh

message 36: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (BookieNerd86) | 18 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Everyone!

It's time for a new challenge!

This is The Decades Challenge, so please join us for a little blast from the past!

I am posting this challenge a little early so all of you planners c..."

I'm in for the challenge I was born in the 1980's. The books are soon to follow.

message 37: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (BookieNerd86) | 18 comments Sorry Fran I'm still learning this site as you can probably tell I wasn't try to post what you had already posted. I'm in the the challenge though and I was born in the 1980's I already got at least 84 books picked out.Ill post the first five in a few.

message 38: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2012 09:22AM) (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Since I've got a year I'm going to try for all 30 books-

0/30

The 1940's:

1. Song-White Christmas-mostly white cover- Wanderlove
3.TV Show-Howdy Doody-features a child prominantly in the story- Bear, Otter and Kid
4. Popular Books of the 40's- book set in the 40's- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society5. Fad- Slinky- Read an Erotic book or a book with a child's toy on the cover.

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard Bear, Otter, and the Kid by TJ Klune The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

The 1950's:

1.Song- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis- read a book with fire on the cover- Hot Head
2.Movie- Some Like It Hot- read a humorous book or a book with a hot guy on the cover- Frat Boy and Toppy
4.Popular Books of the 50's- set in the 50's- Seventh Heaven5.Fad- Hula Hoop- read a book with a round object on the cover or a book with a title that has the same first letters (i.e. Totally Tubular, Cowboy Cassanova)

Hot Head (Head, #1) by Damon Suede Frat Boy and Toppy by Anne Tenino Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman
The 1960's: my birth year- 1966

1.Song-I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye-fruit on the cover- I Scream, You Scream (bananas and cherries)
2.Movie-Bonnie and Clyde- read a crime novel- Weekend Warriors
4.Popular Books of the 60's- Purple Daze5.Fad- Flower Power- read a book with flowers on the cover, or a book set in San Francisco, or a book with characters that take drugs or a book that shows the horrors of war.

The Sisterhood Weekend Warriors - A Story of Revenge Bk.1 by Fern Michaels Purple Daze by Sherry Shahan I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson

The 1970's:

1.Song- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin- Angelfall
4.Popular Books of the 1970's-Deenie5.Fad- Disco music- read a book featuring a musician- Major Crush

] Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Major Crush  by Jennifer Echols Deenie by Judy Blume

The 1980's:

2.Movie- Back to the Future-a sports car in the story- A Tender Rough
3.TV Show- Cheers- a drink on cover- Screwdriver
4.Popular Books of the 1980's- set in the 1980's-Girl Unmoored5.Fad- Classic Coke- read a book considered a 'classic' or a book featuring a character with a failed relationship/profession/idea, etc.

A Tender Rough by Fae Sutherland Screwdriver (Cocktales #2) by Mari Carr Girl Unmoored by Jennifer Gooch Hummer

The 1990's:

3.TV Show- E.R.-an author who uses their initials- R.L. Mathewson- Perfection
4.Popular Books of the 1990's- 5.Fad- Beanie Babies- read a book that has an animal in the story (a real animal, not an other-worldy creature) or on the cover, or a book where a character is a collector of some kind.

Perfection (A Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2012 08:10AM) (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Welcome Everyone!!

Tomorrow is the start date- have fun and stop by the suggestions/help thread if you need any inspiration or have any favorites to share :)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 40: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Dec 25, 2012 04:58PM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 443 comments I'm in for the 50's (birth decade) and at least one other decade. I'll post as I read along.

Duration 7.1.12-1.1.13

4/10 Read; updated 10.11.12

The 1950's:

I read The Invisible World by Suzanne WeynThe Invisible World by Suzanne Weyn (10.11)

I read I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron*(humorous)I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflectionsby Nora Ephron (12.19.12)

I read Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora RobertsVision in White by Nora Roberts (7.22)

I read Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) by Jessica BeckTragic Toppings by Jessica Beck (7.24)

message 41: by Edward (new)

Edward Creter (httpwwwedcoolcom) | 277 comments I'm in!!! I'll start with my birth year, 1968, and go one book a year til today, which should make it 44 altogether! Wish me well!

message 42: by Breann (last edited Aug 14, 2012 04:58PM) (new)

Breann | 2362 comments The Decades Challenge
Progress: 3/10

The 1980's: my decade

1.Song- Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen- Kissin' Tell 7/11/12 ★★☆☆☆
2.Movie- Back to the Future- Outlander
3.TV Show- Cheers- Mystery Man
4.Popular Books of the 1980's- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
5.Fad- Classic Coke- Pride and Prejudice
Kissin' Tell (Rough Riders, #13) by Lorelei James Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

The 1990's:

1.Song- My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion- Mine Till Midnight 6/19/12 ★★★☆☆
2.Movie-Titanic- Knight 8/12/12 ★★★☆☆
3.TV Show- E.R.- Rapture
4.Popular Books of the 1990's- Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
5.Fad- Beanie Babies- The Magical Christmas Cat 7/12/12 ★★★☆☆
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) by Kristen Ashley Rapture (The Fallen Angels, #4) by J.R. Ward Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire The Magical Christmas Cat (Includes Breeds, #17; Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #2) by Lora Leigh

message 43: by Ely (last edited Jun 30, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Ely Read 0/10
After I complete these I want to do the 1960's, but i'll start with these! :)

The 1990's ( My Decade )
1. The Reader- Bernhard Schlink (Romance novel)
2. The Notebook- Nicholas Sparks (Has a couple in the plot where one is rich and one is poor)
3.The Pianist-Władysław Szpilman (Has hospital scenes)
4. The Hours-Michael Cunningham (Popular book from the 1990's)
5.The Giver- Lois Lowry (The Giver is a collector of memories)

The Reader The Notebook The Pianist The Hours The Giver
The 1950's
1. Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury (Burning Suit on the cover)
2.On the Road-Jack Kerouac (Hot guy on the cover)
3.End of the Affair- Graham Greene (Has married couple in the plot)
4.A Separate Peace-John Knowles (Popular book from the 1950's)
5.East of Eden- John Steinbeck (Tree on the cover has leaves in the shape of a circle, round object)
Fahrenheit 451 On the Road The End of the Affair A Separate Peace East of Eden

message 44: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9116 comments Edward wrote: "I'm in!!! I'll start with my birth year, 1968, and go one book a year til today, which should make it 44 altogether! Wish me well!"

Hi Edward,

Welcome to the challenge! You need to read 5 books from 2 decades or more to complete this challenge. Your birth decade is mandatory and any of the others optional. You need to read one book for each of the 5 options under each decade. Happy Reading!

message 45: by Aiysha (new)

Aiysha Duncan (sexyeasha123) | 16 comments I'm in!!!

I'll start with my birth decade,1990' and I still haven't decided on what other decade to do yet

message 46: by Rena16 (new)

Rena16 | 1 comments The 1990's (my decade!)

1)The scorpio races
2)Hallowed
3)Lover Enshrined
4)Game of thrones
5)Water for elephants

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 47: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 8666 comments Oh yeah, I'm in! I can't resist a challenge! I'll for for at least two decades, probably more! I must include the 60s, but I'm not sure which others...

message 48: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 9116 comments MountainKat wrote: "Oh yeah, I'm in! I can't resist a challenge! I'll for for at least two decades, probably more! I must include the 60s, but I'm not sure which others..."

Kat,

Weekend Warriors has 'crime' listed on its home page if you were thinking of using that one for the Featured Author this month. You can use it for #2 of the 1960's :)

message 49: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 8666 comments Fran wrote: "Kat,

Weekend Warriors has 'crime' listed on its home page if you were thinking of using that one for the Featured Author this month. You can use it for #2 of the 1960's :) "

Awesome! Thanks for the tip Fran!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (Scoutmomskf) | 1319 comments I will post as I go -- I am going to do as many as I can.

The 1990's:

4.Popular Books of the 1990's- Read a book found on the following shelf- http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/17...
Exquisite Acquisitions by Charlene Sands Exquisite Acquisitions - Charlene Sands (HD #2174 - Aug2012) (animal - Rocky the dog)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Firelight (other topics)
Haunting Warrior (other topics)
Pack of Lies (other topics)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (other topics)
Photographs & Phantoms (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Guy Burt (other topics)
Nora Roberts (other topics)
Lila DiPasqua (other topics)
Tiffany Reisz (other topics)
Paullina Simons (other topics)
More...