Flash Fiction discussion

CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William | 1 comments IF YOU LIVE IN THE PROVIDENCE (OR BOSTON) AREA...

I am scheduled to lead a writing workshop in the Continuing Studies Program at Brown University beginning in February.

THE INFO:

Creative Constraints: Generating New Ideas in Fiction
Can imposing artificial writing conditions free your creative process? Writing constraints are consciously selected structures, forms, and limitations selected by the writer prior to writing. Compositions made with constraints often allow you to say things you hadn’t expected to say in ways you would never have chosen.

Working with the precept that all creative writing is constrained, we will examine and experiment with pre-set forms of poetry (sestina, sonnet, villanelle, haiku) and narrative prose (sketches of exactly 100 words, flash fiction, source-text manipulations). Through controlled use of form and expression, writing prompts will help you generate new ideas. No matter what level you’re writing at, this course can liberate you from cliché, challenge your unconscious writing routines, and help you condense the decision making process when writing time is limited.

The workshop runs for six weeks, meeting on Thursdays (7-9PM), from February 5th through March 12th.

REGISTER HERE

Email me with any questions: William_Walsh@brown.edu

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

"No matter what level you’re writing at, this course can liberate you from cliché, challenge your unconscious writing routines..."

I am definitely looking for some workshop or learning experience that will shake me up a little in this way. I have an MFA and written stories from 1,000-8,000 words, but the stories on the shorter end of the spectrum are the ones that fascinate me. I would love to know if there is some method to break out of old habits and be less inhibited in my posture to creating stories. It seems writing very short stories almost requires this.

I would fly to Boston for a long weekend to take such a workshop. Maybe this is something that would be offered one day?

Best wishes.

Meg Sefton

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara (goodreadscomtara_lynn_masih) | 32 comments Hi Meg:

You should definitely put The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction on your to read list. It is written by all the top writers in flash in this country, and will guide you at home with inspirational and intructional essays, followed by exercises and examples. In addition to taking workshops, of course!

Tara