Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Aprile's 50 Books For 2009!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 241 (241 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I wanted to enjoy some books I would not normally read and finish the stuff I bought last year but never had a chance to read. This is my first year out of school, so I wanted to read and enjoy it!

I have a list of about 65 books that have been suggested to me/added by me. When I am done reading my book, I've been updating it on here as well as in my LJ community http://community.livejournal.com/apri...

I will update which books I've read already for you all :)

message 2: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:15AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 1:The Host: A Novel
Completed Jan 4/09

My Opinion

It was hard for me to get into, very different writing style from the Twilight series. I was about 100 pages in before I really got into it and then I couldn't put it down! It was very well written and she does a wonderful job distingushing between the "two" main characters. I laughed, I cried and I was very touched by this sci-fi book.

Grade: A- just because it took so long to get into :)

message 3: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 2:The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Completed Jan 6/09

My Opinion

It was really cute! I've read all of the Harry Potter books and it was neat to read the stories that become so central in the book series. The stories are neat, the drawings are neat and Dumbledore's writings are neat. I really think that Rowling is crazy, but I was very amused by this book.

Grade: A

message 4: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 3:A Million Little Pieces
Completed Jan 8/09

My Opinion

After all of the controversy pertaining to this book, I was adamant that I would never read it. However, many people I know have read it and they thoroughly enjoyed the story, so I read it. I have to say at the beginning, I enjoyed the story. After a while, the story bored me and I started getting really annoyed by his writing style. He randomly capitalizes words throughout the book, and the sentences are disjointed. I disliked the book by the 100th page, but since I put in that much time, I finished it. Afterwards I read his apology, and I was still annoyed with the controversy even after reading it.

Grade: C

message 5: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 4:Just One Sip/Viva Las Vampires
Completed Jan 8/09

My Opinion

I am not into romance books, and when this one started talking about "swollen members" and other things I was pretty freaked out. The book ("Just One Sip") had three different stories in it, but I couldn't force myself to swallow any more vomit so I stopped reading. Worst vampire book EVER.

Grade: F

message 6: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 5:Digital Fortress
Completed Jan 9/09

My Opinion

Every time I read Dan Brown I remember why I hate him. Stupid short chapters (some only a page long), horrible character development, too many points of view and cliff hangers at the end of each chapter. But at the same time, I always remember why I love him, very researched topics, interesting scenery, and very action packed novels. Digital Fortress did not disappoint on any of these. It was very riveting and I finished it in a day. It had a very interesting and different story line and it was nice to have a different main character. I would suggest this book to anyone who has a day they could read it in, because you won't be able to put it down.

Grade: B

message 7: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 6:The Lovely Bones
Completed Jan 12/09

My Opinion

This book dealt with a lot of uncomfortable topics, death, murder, afterlife and it was quite depressing to read at some points. That being said, it was a wonderful book and very comforting at times as well. I have many questions about "heaven" and it was comforting to read someone else's views on it. The character development was amazing and the ending was very well done. I cried in a few spots and confronted my own concerns of death and how I will have to deal with death. It was a beautiful book and I would suggest it to anyone.

message 8: by Aprile (last edited Apr 18, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 7:Something Borrowed
Completed Jan 13/09

My Opinion

Wow, I was not expecting this storyline at all. A few of my friends suggested this book, so I was interested in reading it and it turns out to be about affairs, cheating and lying. I guess it was written all right, and the characters where somewhat interesting, but it was not my favourite in the least. I wouldn't suggest this book. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Grade: D

message 9: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 8: Lucky
Completed Jan 14/09

My Opinion

This was a very VERY hard book for me to read. Rape is more common to hear about, and it even proves in this story. After the first 50 pages, I was ready to stop reading. This was just something I could not face in a book, but I kept on reading. The book was very emotional and hard to read, but it also showed the strength that Ms. Sebold has in her. This story is the story of her own rape, not a fiction novel. All in all, though it was hard, I am very glad that I finished it.

message 10: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 9: The Pilot's Wife
Completed Jan 17/09

My Opinion

The first thing I said when I finished this book was "meh." The characters were interesting, and the plot was somewhat interesting, but the book itself was not interesting. It took me about 4 days to read this, the longest so far. I just COULD put it down and didn't care when I picked it up again. It wasn't horrible, and I don't think I would suggest it.

message 11: by Aprile (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:27PM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 10: Sloppy Firsts A Novel
Completed Jan 18/09

My Opinion

It was a different book, different than I normally read. It was somewhat entertaining and I enjoyed the main character and how cynical she was, but it wasn't my favourite book. I enjoyed reading it, but I was happy to be done it.

Grade: B-

message 12: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 11: Shoe Money
Completed Jan 18/09

My Opinion

I loved this book! It was so funny. It was full of like mini-stories/chapters and they flowed into each other nicely. The author is really funny, and uses a lot of British terminology (where she was orginally from). This lady makes anyone believe that if something fits great, buy two!

message 13: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Whoohoo! Tip of the hat to your first ten!

message 14: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 12: Something Blue
Completed Jan 20/09

My Opinion

I actually really enjoyed this one. While some of the story lines that I hated continued, I liked seeing "Darcy's" perspective. Her attitude and thought process were just so different from "Rachel's" it made for a good story. It was also great to see how she grew in this book and how her life changed. I laughed, and I cried. It was a good book!

Grade: A-

message 15: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 13: Stargirl
Completed Jan 23/09

My Opinion

I was very surprised by this book. First of all, it was teen-lit written from a male-perspective, which is few and far between and second was that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Teenage life is so full of ups and downs and trying to find your true self, and it was very interesting to read about Stargirl and how her life already was exactly what it needed to be. I thought the book was very well written and I think that it is a great book for anyone to read.

message 16: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 14: Confessions of a Shopaholic
Completed Jan 24/09

My Opinion

This book was cute. I think it will be a good movie too. I thought the main character was very interesting and I felt bad for her, but at the same time thought she was kind of annoying lol. The book was about friends, love, money and of course shopping! Set in England, it uses a lot of British terms, and their stores, restaurants, and television shows, which may confuse some people. All in all it was a good book, thought I don't know if I will continue on with the series.

Grade: B-

message 17: by Aprile (last edited Jan 28, 2009 06:31AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 15: Inkheart
Completed Jan 28/09

My Opinion

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is one of the best young fantasy books (Harry Potter, Twilight, move out of the way!) I have read in a long time. My friend suggested this book and I have to say that I was skeptical. I am not a big fantasy fan, so I was not really expecting much, but I didn't want the book to end! It was amazing. As someone with an English degree, I was very amused by a fantasy book about books. The characters were great and easy to follow and the book took loving books to a whole new level! I can definitely see why they made this story into a film and I am looking forward to watching it and reading the other two books in the series.

message 18: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 16: Inkspell
Completed Feb 2/09

My Opinion

This was a great book. Not as good as the first one, but I expected that. This was a different kind of story than the first one, but it was still very well written. I cried when reading this one, because it is emotional. It was a great book and I can't wait to read the third one and finish off the series!

message 19: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 17: Brave New World
Completed Feb 8/09

My Opinion

I really wasn't that big of a fan of this book. I found it dragged a lot and it was too weird for even my likings. It was interesting, but I don't think I would suggest it to anyone.

message 20: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:44AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 18: Chasing Harry Winston A Novel
Completed Feb 9/09

My Opinion

I wasn't totally sure I was going to like this book, but I was really surprised! The plots were great (although predictable) and it was cool to read about what was going on with all of the main characters. Best friend books always make me happy and these girls take the cake with their bonds. I liked them all for their own reasons and it was a great book. I highly reccommend it if you just want something to read in the bath.

Grade: B+

message 21: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:44AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 19: The It Girl
Completed Feb 12/09

My Opinion

It was a bubble gum book. Kind of cute, and full of silly gossip and drama. It's a great little book to read on the bus ride home.

Grade: C+

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy I am about to start Chasing Harry Winston. Sloppy Firsts was Ok, I will probably read the other ones to find out what happens to her(spring break or summer when I am doing nothing) but it was not the best book I have read. I had a hard time with The Host as well--a couple of my 8th graders are reading it and they keep asking me when it gets good.

message 23: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) "The Host" was great once I got into it. I tell everyone to push through it cause it is totally worth it.

I'm sure you will enjoy "Chasing Harry Winston", tell me if your copy has two chapters that are upside down (the hard cover copies do).

I don't think I will read anymore in the "Sloppy First" series though.

message 24: by Jéssica (new)

Jéssica (jessicamuller) | 55 comments Great job, Aprile! :D

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 29 comments Aprile wrote: "The Host: A Novel
Completed Jan 4/09

My Opinion

It was hard for me to get i..."

I just finished the host and I agree it was hard to get into, but once I did I couldn't put it down! I'm wondering if it is because I read it after the Twilight series and still had vampires on the brain:) Either way, I'll most likely read the sequels:)

message 26: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:45AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 20: Notorious
Completed Feb 27/09

My Opinion

It was alright. This series is interesting because of all of the new characters. I always liked Jenny in the books. However, the book said "fuck" a heck of a lot more than I was prepared for! I think I may read a few more from the series, and see how the characters develop.

message 27: by Faye (last edited Feb 27, 2009 09:35PM) (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Hey. If you liked Inkheart, a fantasy about book about books, you might also like Jasper Fford's Thursday Next series (e.g.
The Eyre Affair. ) These are the kind of fantasy like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with a literary edge.

I went to Australia on vacation for 2 weeks and read the whole series!

message 28: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Faye wrote: "Hey. If you liked Inkheart, a fantasy about book about books, you might also like Jasper Fford's Thursday Next series (e.g.
[b:The Eyre Affair|27003|The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, Book 1)|Jasper F..."

Thanks for the reccommedation!

message 29: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:45AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 21: Blood and Chocolate
Completed Feb 28/09

My Opinion

It was definitely different from most of the books I read. At the beginning I really had no idea what to expect, and I am thoroughly surprised that people compare this book to "Twilight" because I really didn't get that vibe from it at all. It was alright, and somewhat well written, but not one of my favourites.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna | 65 comments I completely agree with Faye on the Thursday Next series. They're really interesting. Fforde also wrote a couple of books in the about crimes involving nursery rhyme characters. (The Big Over Easy, and the Fourth Bear).

message 31: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Cool! Thanks Donna!

message 32: by Dini (new)

Dini Aprile, your list is so interesting with the grade letters, it's a refreshing change from the stars rating in this website. I'm getting interested in Inkheart as well, as I also have an English degree :)

message 33: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Dini wrote: "Aprile, your list is so interesting with the grade letters, it's a refreshing change from the stars rating in this website. I'm getting interested in Inkheart as well, as I also have an English deg..."

Thanks! I like grade letters better, lol. I guess I liked school too much to be interested in these star ratings. That's cool you have an English degree too! What are you doing with yours?

message 34: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:45AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 22:The Girl Who Could Fly
Completed Mar 3/09

My Opinion

This was such a great book! It was really different than what I usually read, but I enjoyed it. The first part was a little too churchy for me, but it was still a pretty good book. Stephenie Meyer recommended it on her website, so I thought I would give it a shot. It was kind of like X-Men, but not, lol. I would definitely suggest everyone reading this one. It is cute and I enjoyable.

message 35: by Dini (new)

Dini I write and compile news for a website. But lately I've found that writing Goodreads reviews is so much more fun ;D

message 36: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 23:Mirror Mirror A Novel
Completed Mar 5/09

My Opinion

This was my last book by Gregory Maguire. I thought it was drawn out, and not very well written. I find that while he has an interesting twist on fairy tales they are really boring. I hated all of the characters in this book and thought it took forever to actually get somewhat interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of Wicked, and this was the second shot, but I am ready to put him up on the "do not read" list.

Grade: D

message 37: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 24:Uglies
Completed Mar 6/09

My Opinion

In the beginning I wasn't too impressed with how Sci-Fi it was, I wasn't aware when I started the book that it was. However, I really became attached to the main characters and the whole "becoming pretty" situation. I was very entertained by this book, and I am all ready to start "Pretties". I thought it was well written, with great character development an an interesting plot! It will be interesting to see how the rest of the trilogy unfolds!

Grade: B+

message 38: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 29 comments I'm glad you like Uglies. I had the same feeling in the begining. Westerfeld has a great rep for adult sci-fi as well. I wasn't too impressed with Pretties and stopped reading about halfway through. I am going to give Westerfeld another chance though, Peeps is on my reading list and it got good reviews...with one of my favorite subjects: Vampires:)

message 39: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 25:Pretties
Completed Mar 7/09

My Opinion

While it was not as good as the first, it was good in it's own right. I liked the transformation from living in the Uglies world to the Pretties world. The love connections and the other connections that Tally has with the Pretties are very interesting and the character development is fantastic. The way these books slowly transform the plot and the characters to flow so seemlessly into the next book is amazing. I have already put the third one on hold at the library and cannot wait to finish the trilogy!

Grade: B

message 40: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments a three gun salute to your halfway mark!

message 41: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Mary Todd wrote: "a three gun salute to your halfway mark!"

Thanks Mary Todd!

message 42: by Aprile (last edited Mar 21, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Book 26:Vampire Academy
Completed Mar 10/09

My Opinion

I found that I was very confused at the beginning about the characters and "what" they are. I didn't really get a lot of it and it felt like I missed a book or something. However, by the end I liked it. The characters developed slowly, and the plot jumped around a lot, which bugged me, but all in all I enjoyed it. I haven't decided if I will read any more of them.

message 43: by Aryll (new)

Aryll (things_change) | 89 comments I loved the uglies series. Specials was by far my fav. I just finished reading Shadow Kiss (vampire academy book 3) and i loved it, and i really can not wait for the 4th one to come out.

message 44: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) My goal is 50 NEW books, so any re-reads will not be counted towards my 50 book goal, but will be counted in how many books I've read this year.

Re-Read#1: Twilight

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna | 65 comments I hope the re-read of Twilight doesn't put you in a slump again! But at least you still have 9 more months to read those last 24 if it does! (I keep thinking its about time for a re-read also, but my mom has my copy of the entire saga)

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) I'm in the middle of the Twilight series at the moment...is it as addicting the second time through?

message 47: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Jessica wrote: "I'm in the middle of the Twilight series at the moment...is it as addicting the second time through?"

This is the 12th time reading Twilight, and about 8 times through the whole series... so yes, absolutely LOL

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna | 65 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm in the middle of the Twilight series at the moment...is it as addicting the second time through?"

Absolutely as addicting as the first time through. Plus you catch a few things here and there that you missed or just didn't pick up on the first time. I read the entire series twice between Nov. 13 and Christmas and then started the audio books. (I work at a movie theatre and we were getting SO MANY calls for Twilight I basically said what's the big deal and went out and bought the book to see. Yeah, got completely addicted and finished the book while answering phone calls Nov. 20 when everyone was asking about the midnight show.)

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 29 comments Im surprised you stayed away from Twilight this long! Give yourself a break and count it for the 50!!:)

message 50: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Sheila wrote: "Im surprised you stayed away from Twilight this long! Give yourself a break and count it for the 50!!:)"

He he, it was SO hard to keep away from it, but I have already read 26 new books, so I am going to count it as a re-read, because I still want it to be 50 NEW books!

« previous 1 3 4 5