Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Suggestion: "Honorary Titles" to Volunteer Members

Comments (showing 1-30)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

Jo * Smut-Dickted * (JoSmut-Dickted) | 12 comments Love the idea and would help a lot!

For all the reasons stated mod status bestowing comes with responsibilities many don't want. I love the concept of giving at least a title to help recognize what some folks do who aren't mods..their help means we can run our groups well with their support!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (QueenBitchelle) | 2 comments I love this idea!! I have wanted to be able to do this for a while!

message 28: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments Yay Me! Thanks Otis and supporters of the idea!

message 26: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 116 comments if this suggestion comes to realization (it is good suggestion, btw), please also gives power to members to completely reject such titles.

i've seen some quarrels in groups that involves mods taking sides instead of being neutral and moderating the discussion. i can imagine how those mods will use this new power, e.g. give an honorific titles to their sides and "honorific" titles to their "enemies".

message 25: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2893 comments Woot!

message 24: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 994 comments rivka wrote: "Banjomike wrote: "Well, if it is going to happen then I will put my name down for "Quiz Enforcer"."

In which group? These would not be universal titles, but group-specific ones."

Curses, foiled again. Is there no justice?

message 23: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12054 comments Mod
Banjomike wrote: "Well, if it is going to happen then I will put my name down for "Quiz Enforcer"."

In which group? These would not be universal titles, but group-specific ones.

message 22: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 994 comments Well, if it is going to happen then I will put my name down for "Quiz Enforcer".

message 21: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4173 comments Mod
Great idea! Will make a ticket.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3338 comments When I ask for help in my groups people are hesitant because they know that being moderator is a big responsibility and yet they don't want to be unacknowledged. Giving them moderator status temporarily would actually be 'the worst of both' strategies in some ways.

If giving mods an option to put a little gray title next to members' names is not feasible, how about some sort of official type 'volunteer mod' or 'assistant mod' status that could be awarded? The duties of the current roster would have to be delineated in an accessible place, such as in a locked thread in a welcome folder, maybe - but something like this would help.

message 19: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2893 comments Mods could use the title "Moderator" instead of anything else.

message 18: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2042 comments To play devil's advocate, that would make it so you could no longer automatically identify mods just by seeing their comments in threads.

message 17: by Jen4607 (new)

Jen4607 (jennifer4607) | 37 comments I love this idea!

message 16: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2893 comments +1 This would be great.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 331 comments It wouldn't hurt to be able to adjust certain permissions for members, such as which people can set challenges or add books to shelves, but I guess that would be getting far too complicated.

message 14: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 994 comments BunWat wrote: "...So the mods decided to give her mod status, and without at all meaning to cause problems, she made some helpful changes to the bookshelves that resulted in the upcoming reads list getting all mixed up. ..."

Well, that happens with "proper" GR librarians as well. I don't suppose group members are much dozier than the general population. Mostly.

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Newtomato) | 389 comments Wow, this is a great idea. And something quite positive as well.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 218 comments I like this idea. Coming up in August we have a member who is going to help us run a 2 month challenge and it would be nice to give her a title just so members know they need to go to her with questions. I wouldn't want to give her mod status, because as Bunwat mentioned there are abilities that are not necessary for her role.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments As BunWat said, it gives them "power" to perform actions that we may not want them to perform - which could definitely be problematic.

I like the additional uses BunWat came up with - great way to recognize individuals in the group.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2122 comments I think this would be a good idea too - I am a mod in a group where we run several monthly challenges and we rely on other members to help out with them - they change each month - being able to use an honorary title for them that month would be a great way to recognize them, without giving them full-mod status (since they are really only responsible for the one challenge - of about 20 that we have going at any one time)

message 9: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I understand that they don't need mod status to do their tasks. But wouldn't adding them as mods give you the functionality you want (being able to assign titles)?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments We may have been posting at the same time Rivka, but I do have some temporary mods, but some things that need to be done don't require mod status. I have found that people are more likely to volunteer if they have a single "job" to perform. I currently have 7 volunteers and 2 mods other than myself - that's just too many mods IMO.

message 7: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Wouldn't temporarily granting them mod status (and then revoking at the end of the time period) achieve what you want?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments here is why it is important to me

I have come up with a "volunteer program" and a "temporary mod program". The temporary moderator program has been working very well for us since last November. I notice that more people are willing to step up when they know the commitment is for a short period of time. So, I recently came up with a similar "program" for volunteers - I check with them at the end of each month to see if they are up for continuing on. This is also a great way to see a person's level of commitment and if they are a good candidate to be a moderator. It gets to be a little awkward when people don't hold up their end of the bargain as a moderator and you have to let them go, so this is my solution.

I currently have a thread that I use to recognize our volunteers, but it would be nice to be able to give them even further distinction with an "honorary title".

Why the temporary status you say? I have noticed that moderators are typically very gung-ho up front, but then life gets busy and the group (understandably) falls to the way-side. When that happens, it is tough to ask a moderator to step down. So, I thought this was the best solution - minimal commitment from both parties.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments Osho wrote: "I'm for this if the options are limited and fixed. Options that allow titles like "hypertrophic post-monkey" aren't going to be useful. :)"

yes, absolutely! but i am sure there will be some groups who take it to that level :-)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 483 comments I'm +1 for the OP.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm for this if the options are limited and fixed. Options that allow titles like "hypertrophic post-monkey" aren't going to be useful. :)

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3338 comments After conversing with the OP I've realized this would indeed be a very helpful feature. It would help me run my groups more effectively as I could enlist more help from members who want to help, would feel motivated if given credit, but don't want to be full-on moderators. +1

message 1: by I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (last edited Jun 29, 2012 05:32AM) (new)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments I was wondering if it would be possible to have a function so Mods could bestow "Honorary Titles" to members who volunteer- you know, for members who have a "job" within the group but do not have moderator status.

ETA: only moderator would have the ability to add titles.

unread topics | mark unread