Students of the Restored Gospel discussion

Book Discussions > Discussion for The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments Post your comments and discussions about "The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother" here.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (TinaReederBeus) | 7 comments Jamie- I am new to how this book club online works. I came in half way when you were reading A Marvelous Work and A Wonder and didn't know when the deadline was to finish reading and saw notes just posted about a couple of things people found interesting, but I didn't see a discussion happen. (I could have missed it though.) Anyway, I personally do better when there is a deadline. So I won't keep procrastinating! I'm hoping we could set a deadline when we need to have the book finished and then a date set and a time so we could have a discussion about it. I read how you were busy and I don't want to add more stress, so I hope this won't cause you extra grief- but without a deadline,I will just put it off until I miss the whole thing! Thanks for your help!:)

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments Do we have a time frame? I may need some time, as I had to order and buy the book and am awaiting eagerly it's arrival.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments My vote is end of February for a deadline. I still need to get the book too.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments The deadline for this book is Feb 28. I hope the dead line will hep some people:) Happy reading!

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (TinaReederBeus) | 7 comments Thanks Jamie!:)

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I put a hold on it at the library, but I'm 3rd in line. I'm not sure I'll get it read by the deadline. But I'll try!

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments So is anyone reading this? I'm still waiting for the library copy.

message 9: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments I am almost done. I had time at night while I was on vacation. I am so enjoying the history. My favorite parts are the history of his family near the beginning. I found how interesting it was that his ancestors wanted the church as it was in Christ time on earth.

message 10: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments I finished last night but won't say much further till everyone can get there. I have given it to my husband as I think he will truly enjoy it as well.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I am still waiting for my library copy!

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments Yeah! I got my book and read it today. What did you all think?

Just a couple of things that I noticed. One was that Joseph Smith Sr. had those prophetic dreams before the First Vision, including the one that mirrored Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life. I thought that was interesting. And the other thing was that I hadn't realize that Lucy Smith lost 4 of her sons in such a short time, starting with Don Carlos, and the Joseph and Hyrum, and then Samuel. That must have been so hard. I really admired her so much after reading this book.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina (TinaReederBeus) | 7 comments This book wasn't what I expected. The title says a history of Joseph Smith by his mother, but I found it to be less about Joseph and more about his mother and her perspective on the events that transpired to bring for the gospel. I was reading the part of Joseph Smith History from the Book of Mormon and he states in there that the angel Moroni told him on his first visit that he wouldn't be getting the plates until 4 years later, but in his mother's account, Joseph Smith didn't know that information. So each time he went he fully expected to receive the plates and the family was so disheartened when he came back without them; which leaves me to think, that in the BOM account, he just left out all the heartbreak of going back and forth each year without the plates and just summed it up after 4 years he finally got the plates. One thing was indelibly impressed upon me from reading this book and that was the hardships, the sickness, the apostasies and the injustice against the saints. They pled their injustices to every court in the land without recompense. They could find no justice. It is nothing short of a testimony to me that this church lasted through all of that. They sought to destroy it and its leaders and nothing has stopped the work. Though some may have faltered along the way, the church grows and flourishes. Surely, the Lord has had his hand in it, causing miracles, refining his saints, moving forth his glorious gospel for all those who seek for truth and peace. I for one, am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and for Joseph Smith in all he went through to bring it forth.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I'm so glad I read it. As I was reading, I would come across something and think, "Oh, so that's where that quote comes from!" Because every other book about Joseph Smith quotes from this book, including the RS/Priesthood Manual. So it was good to read the original.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments We are going to be moving onto a new book soon so here's your chance to discuss this one. Well be discussing for a few more days, while we take suggestions for a new book. Thanks to those that have contributed so far.

My favorite part about this book is that we all know the story of Joseph, pretty well too. We've heard his account of the first vision lots of times and we have a testimony in what he saw and heard. We love him for what he endured and we honor him for his strength. Its fun and interesting to me to read about the same events and happenings by a different person, from a different, separate perspective. I love Lucy Mack Smith for writing this. I admire her opinions and all that she went through in her life.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am just starting this book. so as I read I will post.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_gephart) | 157 comments Mod
I've read a lot of this book but never read it from cover to cover. It's on my wish list, though...

The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother by Lucy Mack Smith