Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Ray Dennis Steckler RIP

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments I mourn the passing of:

RAY DENNIS STECKLER Died Jan. 7, 2009

Legendary B-Movie filmmaker Ray Dennis Steckler died at age 70. Mr. Steckler wrote, produced, directed and shoot a number of low-budget films during the 1960s and 70s. To every person who wanted to pick up a camera and make a movie, Ray Dennis Steckler was an inspiration. His movies were great, but the fact that he had the guts and determination to get them made makes him an indie movie legend. He put his time and money on the line to create his films with passion. From start to finish, Ray Dennis Steckler was the complete filmmaker: he wrote, cast, produced, directed and promoted his films all by himself. He also acted in several of his films under the name Cash Flag.

His best known movie is "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies." Mr. Steckler took a page out of the William Castle book of showmanship and had theater employees dressed as zombies run through the audience during the climax of "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies." Mr. Steckler gave two young cameramen by the names of Lazlo Kovacs and Vilmos Zsigmond their start on his 1963 cult-classic!

Mr. Steckler began his career as a camera man. He worked on ABCs "Wide World of Sports" and the TV series "The Professionals." He also did camera work on the 1962 monster movie "Eegah!" Mr. Steckler also has many fans of his "Lemon Grove Kids" comedy shorts. The three films were a tribute to the old "Bowery Boys" movie series. He also did a send up of the "Batman" titled "Rat Pfink a Boo Boo." The title was supposed to be "Rat Pfink and Boo Boo" but a technical goof in processing the credits result in the last two letters of the word and being left out. Correcting the problem was cost prohibitive and the resulting title just added to the films goofy charm. Mr. Stecklers other credits include "Wild Ones on Wheels," "Wild Guitar," "The Thrill Killers," "Sinthia, The Devil's Doll," "Body Fever," "Blood Shack," "The Hollywood Strangler Meets the Skidrow Slasher," "Las Vegas Serial Killers," "Summer Fun" and "One More Time."

message 2: by Phillip (last edited Jan 13, 2009 10:18AM) (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments rip!

i didn't know who you were talking about there for a minute, and then i recognized quite a few titles (wild ones on wheels!; hollywood strangler; blood shack; sinthia, the devil's doll...fun stuff!

we all gotta go sometime - i hope his passing was easy.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments You haven't quite lived until you've seen THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED UP ZOMBIES.

No. You really haven't.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments i'll look for it. that title is amazing...especially the "mixed up" bit.