You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Bookshelves?!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) The time has finally come when I now have too many books! All the bookshelves I have are full up and I am also running out of space for bookshelves! I live in a rented house and am not able to put shelves up on the walls so have to buy bookcases. Does anyone have any ideas for space saving bookcases? I am going to buy two tall media storage towers and take out every other shelf so that the books can fit on. These will also be thin enough to fit between my bed and the wall behind my bedside table. Has anyone got any other ideas or know of any places that sell thin bookshelves? I did see one in IKEA but it was too long to fit in my car!!!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Alice sweety....I hate to break it to you, but I think now is the time to purge. I am also one who has limited space, as I only have enough space for about 530 books or so. Regularly, I have to purge my books. That being said, sit in front of and take a good look at your TBR shelves. Are there books on there that have been there forever and you have been putting of reading? Are there things that if you look inside yourself, you can honestly say you will never read? And in looking at the books you have read, are there books that you have kept for no real reason because you didn't really like the book?

I am a book hoarder by nature. I understand the need to keep everything, but sometimes it's better to purge than to keep. It will hurt the first time, but it gets easier.

that being said, I got a fairly thin bookcase from Wally world (gag)

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) My god I can't get rid of books!!!! I really can't! I keep them not because I'm going to read them again I just like the look of them!! I have about 600 or so at a guess but really you can't ask me to chuck?!?!

message 4: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 144 comments well if you need a cheap-o book shelf some plank wood and bricks outta do well if you have tile or wood floors or really anything but thick shag carpet. just put the bricks or concrete blocks on the end to hold up the plank and place the books in the middle. you could also get creative with this and paint the planks or use other things to hold them up like decorative sturdy vases or pots, unused books laying flat stacked on eachother ect... its good for length but i would question it's stability if you were wanting something more high

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I don't know how big all of your books are or whether you'd be willing to do this, but I like the idea of making an end table or nightstand out of a stack of books. My parents did that in their guest room.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Alice...breath, just breath. You can do it. I promise you. Like I said, it hurts at first, but it gets easier. Just take a critical eye to all of your books and really really look inside yourself and tell yourself the truth about whether you are going to read them again or not. I'm not asking you to purge everything, just a few...Just the ones you know deep in yourself that you will never read them again. Fight the addiction to hoard. Besides, once you purge, you'll have a better idea of what you really have as well as more space for new books!

I understand where you are coming from and I have felt the panic your post relates at the very idea of getting rid of some of your books. It's an important step in every book hoarder's life.

Okay okay, if all else fails, get some moving boxes (from a book store or something) and pack up the books you know you aren't going to read for at least 1 year or 2 and put them in your garage or another such storagy type place in your house. This will free up space for newer books, as well as letting you maintain your hoard of books until you can move into a bigger place or have a dwelling in which you can tack shelves up.

Be mindful, however, That most hanging book shelves are usually not able to hold up a ton of books unless you manage to find the wall studs.

message 7: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Sorry Heather, I'm with Alice. The only books I get rid of (and then only to charity shops) are the odd duplicates. Even ones I don't like, I choose to keep should I ever what to dip in and remind myself how bad they are.

We now have a reasonable amount of space in our house, but even so, books are double and triple parked. However, if you sort them in some approximate way, one can usually find what one is looking for.

A compromise, as Heather suggested, would be to box up some of those you are least fond of and put them away somewhere (if you don't have a garage, loft or basement, what about parents or friends?).

Good luck.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) well at the moment i'll be ok. i'll be getting the bookshelf to go in the small space next to my bed in a few weeks (ikea is opening in my town beginning of feb!!). Once that's filled up I guess I will have to seriously think about the storage idea. I never reread books so it's not about keeping them for that. I just love having them. I guess like anything else people collect. I have them all in alphabetical order and i don't like bending the spines so that look nice!! Thanks for your ideas though!

message 9: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments I do reread (some) books, which is an excuse - not that one should be necessary. But I also love the look of a wall full of books, like Alice (actually, quite a lot of walls). I try to keep them pristine, but I buy quite a few second hand ones, so some of them start off a little worn. I also love the different feel, texture and smell of different books... aah.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Alice & CSFR - I completely understand. As I said in above posts, I have over 500 in my bedroom. And as I live with my folks, my room is the only room in which my things can be. I even have given up half of my closet for books. I actually get slightly palm sweaty when I have less than 500 in my collection. However, I also know my limitations and when new books go in, some books must go out. But gee I do love the smell of books, both new and old.
I wish I had space for just one more bookshelf (sigh)

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) I think I may just kick out my housemate and use her room as my library!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Ahh there you go! I perfect solution to the problem! Can you afford the place on your own though?

message 13: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 144 comments and how would books pay for rent?

message 14: by Cecily (last edited Jan 20, 2009 01:29PM) (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Kipahni wrote: "and how would books pay for rent?"

If you wrote them? Not a quick return though ;-)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments umm...lending library? Charge for a Library o'Alice card?

message 16: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments I hate lending books; they never seem to come back and it gets increasingly difficult to ask.

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie I have just bought A new bookcase from Ikea....but its sadly full already as I underestimated the amount of the piles of books knocking about the flat tucked away in various corners! But Ikea do pretty good bookshelves and they are quite cheap as well! I think I will have to make a second trip soon.... I'm with the non-chuckers here! I cant get rid of books...I did about 2 years ago get rid of a load and now theres a whole load of them I want to reread so Im going to have to get them again!

message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) I am loving the Ikea bookshelves Ellie. We've got one opening the beginning of Feb. I can't wait!!! Will be getting at least one bookcase.

Alas I can't afford the place on my own and as Kipahni points out books aren't so good at paying rent! Maybe I could just tell me housemate that from now on she's gotta sleep on the settee - urm not sure that'll go down too well!

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Just tell her that you are taking over one wall of her room and then fill the entire wall w/ bookshelves, floor to almost ceiling!

message 20: by Jaime (last edited Jan 22, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

Jaime | 240 comments I used to live in the suburbs of Philadelphia where there was an IKEA. I got all my bookshelves from there! My husband actually wants to make a trip back down to buy more bookshelves!

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments ahh Ikea....I still wish I had more space in my room for just one more bookshelf.

Oh, I figure out a clever new book hoarding trick! I have one of those under the bed boxes, and woop there went 50 books that I want to keep but probably won't read again for a while, mostly mass markets and such, and now I have a whole shelf empty.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Bookcases full. Now hoarding boxes to keep books in.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelgirvan) | 13 comments i have the same problem. i can barely move for books! i keep lots on my windowsill, which is good except for the little matter of being able to see ;) i find i still get the same amount of light in though unless the books take up more than 3/4 of the space
turning all the books on the bottom shelves round so they're horizontal rather than vertical made a lot more space
and i have a lot of boxes in the garage/kitchen cupboards i don't use