Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > Bookmobiles - Did U have one come into your neighborhood?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16316 comments When I was a little kid in Lincoln Park, Yonkers, NY, the bookmobile would arrive regularly up the street from my house near School #21. I would choose picture books from a wide shelf which folded down from the outside of the bookmobile. The shelf was very near the ground so that little kids didn't have to reach. The books were in a jumble on the shelf. I loved choosing picture books from that shelf.

Did a bookmobile come to your neighborhood when you were a kid... or ever?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5916 comments We had a bookmobile for years when I was a kid. The nearest library was 25 miles away or so. It was 5 or 6 miles just to the bookmobile. Manned by very nice ladies who didn't think much of my taste in books - Sword & Sorcery by Robert E. Howard, Shoot 'em Ups by Mickey Spillane or far out Science Fiction by Heinlein, Asimov & Clarke. Still, they supposedly tried to get many for me.

I guess I quit using the book mobile about the time I got my driver's license, 1975. There were more local libraries around then. Not sure when the program stopped.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16316 comments Jim - I guess you were grateful for that bookmobile!

Jaye - It'll be a shame if the budget won't allow the bookmobile to operate. A lot of kids will lose out. And it's the kids we should be worried about.

What does SAILS stand for? Our library system is SALS: Southern Adirondack Library System.

What could CLAMS (the Cape Cod System) possibly stand for... except clams. (lol) Hmmm, CapeCod Library at Massachusetts System? :)

Didn't Maryland have a funny line on its T-shirts about clams? Can't remember it.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5916 comments Maryland is all about crabs, not clams. There are some oyster beds in the southern Chesapeake, but I think VA claims them.

There's a thing of the past. Pollution ruined the grass in the Bay during my lifetime. When I was a kid, we'd ride down to Bay in the car with some bushel baskets, inner tubes & nets on long handles. We'd spend a couple of hours 'crabbing'. Just walking around in the water & scoop up a couple of bushels of crabs. I think I'll go cry. Seriously, that's one of the saddest things that have passed in my lifetime.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16316 comments Oh, right. I think the T-shirt said: "Maryland is for crabs." (A parody on the T-shirts that say "NY is for lovers.")

It's a shame about the pollution. So much has already been lost. They say the best is yet to be. But in some cases, I think the best is over. Yes, it's very sad to think about. Perhaps things will improve. Let's hope so.