The Critical Beatdown discussion

The Remains of the Day > How cute is this Butler...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (Jedimindreader) I just started reading The remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro and I love how its written so far. It has this feel like you're sitting down having some tea and crumpets with this cute butler who takes himself wayyy too seriously. I like how Ishiguro juxtaposes the smartassness of the american Mr. Farraday and the proper way of Mr. Stevens (the butler).
Half of me wants to pick up Stevens and the other half wants to slap him for going on and on about the proper way of things.
Congrats on who picked this book. I like it so far.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (Jedimindreader) Question: If you were able to take a 5 day road trip where would you go?
I'd choose Seatle... or somewhere where its really rainy and green.. I'm itching to go somewhere like that!

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 10 comments Really good so far - I think this cute, proper butler is going to get nasty with this lady friend...

OK, seriously, very well done so far. Sometimes I don't always do well with first-person exposition, but this so far is very well crafted and charming, and very vivid. He uses the description of other butlers through the years as a mirror to reflect how proper society has changed - this bantering American living among them and the lack of camaraderie among the current breed of butlers, etc.

It's good...

As for the five day trip - I'd go further north up into British Columbia - I think we could get to Whistler and back in five days... that would be a hell of a trip... beautiful country up there...

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (Jedimindreader) Bill wrote: "Really good so far - I think this cute, proper butler is going to get nasty with this lady friend...

OK, seriously, very well done so far. Sometimes I don't always do well with first-person expo..."

I agree Bill =). Although I wonder if he is going to get nasty with his lady friend =). I haven't had the pleasure of going to Whistler, but I have gone to Vancouver and Victoria. All I have to say is kudos to those Canadian neighbors of the north. Simply Beautiful.

message 5: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments FYI for those of you who have not picked up a copy yet, I think we got 10 in today. Last I left, they were on a v-cart next to Info 1.

message 6: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso Liz wrote: "Question: If you were able to take a 5 day road trip where would you go?
I'd choose Seatle... or somewhere where its really rainy and green.. I'm itching to go somewhere like that!"

I would probably drive north for 2 days and then return. No specific place, just where the wind takes me. Assuming the wind is blowing north towards Oregon.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz (Jedimindreader) =) Hahaha!! I agree Maybe stop at a quaint bookshop first though... fill up on some good reads (hay I just got that like the title of the website hahaha!) and then come back down and read them.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 20, 2009 03:12PM) (new)

the butler reminds me of stewie from family guy.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (Jedimindreader) you're right!!!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

... and also alfred from batman.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (Jedimindreader) yeah but the OG Alfred that did the Coke commercials! =)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Liz wrote: "yeah but the OG Alfred that did the Coke commercials! =)"

yes. the michael caine alfred is perhaps too good at the banter.