Terminalcoffee discussion

Sally's socket > January Doldrums (the death clock)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
As I was sitting there, moving my eyes over the pages of Lady Chatterley's Lover but really thinking about returning to school next week, I was thinking what a bummer January is.
This month is the first real, strong, blast of winter we get in these parts, December being a pretty warm and sunny introduction to winter. At that point everyone is into winter, loving their scarves and hats. January and February are just grey, dark, and cold. There is the super bowl to look forward to, if you are into men in spandex bumping into each other. Then there is the Academy Awards, if you are into people in tuxedos and shimmering dresses waxing each other's egos. Valentines Day, but really, who gets excited about Valentines Day?

Also, when I returned to graduate school a couple of years ago I remember thinking "now which semester was it that I like more, spring or fall?" Now I know. Fall. The Spring semester takes about 2389 longer and is 82393 times less fun.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) "The Spring semester takes about 2389 longer and is 82393 times less fun."

wow, Sally, you and I have completely opposite experiences...we must be opposites!
(hate the fall, it goes slowly...love the spring, it goes way too fast!)

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yeah, this is like Jebuary. it lasts forever. at least in march you can sorta see april peeking around the corner. when i see the first spring flower or hear a bird sing i officially declare it spring. not by the calendar.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments For me the days drag, but the weeks fly by, no matter what time of year.

message 5: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments Every January I wonder if this will be the year that I die.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Oh shit, Cyril. Shit!

message 7: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments What?! Is this the year???

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I don't know, dude. I don't want to know.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments wow, so much for birds singing and daffodils blooming

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Wow, that is dark Cyril. And funny, Kevin! I like that: Jebuary. Really, there is nothing to break up the long gray month.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments except that i am leaving saturday for 2 weeks in india. that kinda breaks things up for me

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Indeed! Wowza. Where in India are you going? I'm really intrigued by Western India, recently.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 13, 2009 03:09AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The spring semester is worse for me because of the cumulative effect of the two semesters combined. The summer break is so much longer than winter break, and the physical toll of winter so exhausting, that the students seem tired of school by February. Plus January is insanely busy at our place...we start a ton of new programs this time of year.

I look forward to staying in the house as much as humanly possible in January and February. Once we hit Valentine's Day, though, the light at the end of the tunnel emerges...you know by March first maybe the cold is present but the temps will start to rise for...ahem, all the mud.

Yeah, I want to hear more about India, Kevin...

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i am leaving for a medical mission trip to Repalle, India on saturday. i am not in the medical field, but i think i was asked to go mostly because i am a people person and have international experience in these kinds of trips. i am tagging along with a Christian based group called IREF. i think this is my 14th international trip that is humanitarian mission based. i primarily work in Honduras and West Africa. this is on the east side of india. my first time there although i have been to asia several times before. looking forward to it much now that the holidays are over. i am really into photography so this will be a major photo op.

btw - i have really enjoyed this group much. thanks!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Kevin: I'd be interested to hear about your missions in Honduras. I've led a group of students on a 'service learning' course (volunteer work) in the DR...we're looking for other humanitarian missions in the Spanish speaking world (I also teach Spanish, among other things).

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) This isn't the year you or anyone else will die. That won't happen until December 21, 2012.

So get your bucket lists ready, kids. Time's a-wastin'.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

You're saying nobody will die this year, Gus? That nobody will die until the Mayan calendar resets?

message 18: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sorry, I meant those of us who post in this thread.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Hope you are right. If not, here's an interesting David Brooks column about death:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/opi...

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Death: the Number One Cause of Death.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments http://www.deathclock.com/

i usually just consult this to see if i need to pay a bill by a certain date or not

message 22: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I'm posting in this thread just so I don't die this year.

Wow, that was easy. Thanks!

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh Kevin, I don't like that death clock site. It freaks me out and somewhat reminds me of a horror film, while subsequently reminding me of horrific pop up ads and spyware.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i just found out that i have til 2037. i am def driving faster and eating a high fat lunch today

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't trust the death clock because I lift weights and fuck up my BMI. The BMI doesn't count for as much if you lift weights because of that whole muscle weighing more than fat thing.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yeah, that would be the only reason i wouldn't trust it :)

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That and, um, everything else:)

message 28: by Heidi (last edited Jan 13, 2009 07:04AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments You guys are weird. :)

message 29: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Re: spring and fall semesters, I like the beginning of the fall semester best (b/c ooh, yay, it's school after so long away!) but the end of the spring semester best (b/c ooh, yay, school is over for a while!).

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes. That kind of makes sense, Mindy. I hear you.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jul 24, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 23414 comments Mod
I love that Death Clock. It always cheers me up, for some reason.

message 32: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11459 comments Death Clock says I will die on my 99th birthday. There goes my planned celebration for the big 1-0-0.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Just before my 98th for me.

message 34: by Phil (last edited Jul 24, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Phil | 11459 comments But BMI is a HORRIBLE measure for just about anything. It could work as a general guideline, but for people with any amount of muscle development it's useless.

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I made my BMI worse and my life got longer by 8 years.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 23414 comments Mod
How the fuck are you people going to live so long?? It has me dying in my late 70s. Maybe my BMI is too low.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments It's BS, dear Crustacean.

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6988 comments Gus wrote: "Sorry, I meant those of us who post in this thread."

I do love Gus. And miss him dearly.

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6988 comments Phil wrote: "But BMI is a HORRIBLE measure for just about anything. It could work as a general guideline, but for people with any amount of muscle development it's useless."

Good Lord Phil, that makes me feel so much better. Cause I am RIPPED. So the BMI is like fucking meaningless.

message 40: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Lobstergirl wrote: "How the fuck are you people going to live so long?? It has me dying in my late 70s. Maybe my BMI is too low."
Death clock says I expire at 79. I am using this figure in my retirement planning until I find a better life span estimator.

message 41: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11459 comments Cynthia wrote: "Good Lord Phil, that makes me feel so much better. Cause I am RIPPED. So the BMI is like fucking meaningless."

True dat!

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Apparently I have until I am 81. Death on a Tuesday, no less. I have always disliked Tuesdays.

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) I'm going to die when I'm 52 apparently.

Well, its been one hell of a ride so far. If I come back as a ghost, I'll be sure to haunt Goodreads and this group in particular.

message 44: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4175 comments April 9, 2037.