75 Books discussion

Archive (2009 Challenge) > Nathan's 75 Books of 2009

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Here's my list: (There are many on my shelves I'm looking forward to reading!)

1) Charlie Bone and the Shadow by Jenny Nimmo
- 4 Star Rating; goes with the rest of the Charlie Bone Series (book 7)

message 2: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1727 comments Welcome, Nathan! Good luck with all those books on your shelves.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 2) Chosen (The Lost Books Series, Book One)
by Ted Dekker; Rating: 4 Stars. This is the beginning of the Lost Books Series, related to the Circle series.

3) Infidel (The Lost Books Series, Book Two) by Ted Dekker Rating: 4 Stars

4) Renegade (The Lost Books Series, Book Three) by Ted Dekker Rating: 3 Stars

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 5) Chaos (The Lost Books Series, Book Four) by Ted Dekker; Rating: 4 Stars

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 6) Utopia by Thomas More; 3/5

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 7) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller; 4/5

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 8) Animal Farm by George Orwell; 4/5

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 9) Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.; 4/5

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 10) Time and Again by Jack Finney; 4/5
Good book about time travel, but I enjoyed 'The Little Book' better.

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 11) The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, book 1); 4/5
Good fantasy for young/teen readers

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 12) The Sea of Monsters (PJ and Olympian Series, book 2); 4/5

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 13) The Titan's Curse (PJ and Olympian Series, book 3) 4/5 Loving the series.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Nathan wrote: "10) Time and Again by Jack Finney; 4/5
Good book about time travel, but I enjoyed 'The Little Book' better."

Since I loved "Time and Again", I had better put "The Little Book" on my "to-read" list. Thanks for mentioning it, as I hadn't heard of it before.

message 14: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith I really liked the Percy Jackson series too. Can't wait for the next one.

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 14) The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4); 5/5 Loved it. I agree with you Miss Vicki, I can't wait either until the next one comes out!

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 15) Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert; 4/5
Has some great concepts/ideas to check out

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 16) The Divide by Elizabeth Kay; 2/5. Though it is fantasy, it's written for younger readers, so I didn't enjoy it as much...

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 17) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson; 4/5

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 18) The Forge of God by Greg Bear; 4/5

message 20: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 19) The Shack by William P. Young; 5/5 Great book with a lot of explanations/views on God/religion

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess (JessDowell) I think I may try to read The Shack this weekend. I've heard lots of reviews on it...some bad and some good so I guess I'll just have to read it & find out.

message 22: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 20) The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand 4/5 Really liked her ideas in this book; focuses on a different perspective of life that not many people in this world recognize or accept.

message 23: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 21) The Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker 3/5; Yes, Dekker's latest addition to the thriller/mystery series...but alas, it was not as good as previous novels, in my opinion. It was much darker than his earlier ones too.

message 24: by Nathan (last edited May 10, 2009 05:46PM) (new)

Nathan 22) Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller 5/5; Loved it. Great perspective and view on life similar to Blue Like Jazz; so if you liked BLJ, this is a must read.

message 25: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1727 comments Nathan wrote: "22) Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller 5/5; Loved it. Great perspective and view on life similar to Blue Like Jazz; so it you liked BLJ, this is a must read."

Nathan, this title and your description really grabbed my attention. Thank you! I've added it to my "To Read" list and I'll make a point of getting to it soon.

message 26: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 23) Blink of an Eye by Ted Dekker 4/5; Great thriller; same plot/characters as his original novel Blink, but revised a bit for the movie.

message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 24) The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch 4/5; Good advice on life in general

message 28: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 25) The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel 3/5

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 26) The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan 5/5; Loved it. Sadly, it seems to be the last book in the series, though the end of the book hinted at perhaps another series starting? (hopefully :) )

message 30: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 27) Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry 2/5; Was looking forward to another work similar to The Giver but was a little disappointed by this one.

message 31: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 28) Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsey 4/5; Seen most of the 1st season of this show (Dexter) and really liked it. This book is pretty much the first season I believe. Great, but beware you who have light stomaches or are not used to 'gore' type material.

message 32: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 29) Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks 4/5; Good start to his Word and Void trilogy.

message 33: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 30) A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks 4/5; Getting deeper into the mysteries/fantasy. Looking forward to the final book in the series.

message 34: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 31) Angel Fire East by Terry Brooks 4/5. Great end to the Word and Void series. Leaves you longing to read the Gennesis of Shannara Trilogy.

message 35: by Nathan (last edited Jul 18, 2009 07:15AM) (new)

Nathan 32) The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski 3/5. Good for people who love dogs. Thought the ending sort of left you hanging...

message 36: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1727 comments Nathan wrote: "32) The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski 3/5. Good for people for love dogs. Thought the ending sort of left you hanging..."

I'm always interested to see other people's take on this book - I had such a love/hate relationship with it!

message 37: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 33) Digital Fortress by Dan Brown 3/5; Good solid book full of thrilling moments, but I didn't think it was as good as The DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons.

message 38: by Nathan (new)

Nathan 34) Four Great Plays by Henrik Ibsen 2/5; I really liked An Enemy of the People, but the others were not so interesting to me...