Stop Global Warming!!! discussion

Animals > Animal Cruelty

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ************************No Battery Eggs***************************

While many of us picture an idyllic Old MacDonald's farm when we think about where our eggs come from, nothing could be further from the truth. Most eggs produced in the United States come from industrialized factory farms confining hundreds of thousands—if not millions—of laying hens in overcrowded battery cages.

Arguably the most abused animals in all agribusiness, nearly 280 million laying hens in the United States are confined in barren, wire battery cages so restrictive the birds can't even spread their wings. With no opportunity to engage in many of their natural behaviors, including nesting, dust bathing, perching, and foraging, these birds endure lives wrought with suffering.

Because of animal welfare concerns, countries such as Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria have banned battery cages. The entire European Union is phasing out conventional cages by 2012.

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ***********Force Fed Abuse************

Paté de foie gras, translated from French, is simply "fatty liver." This so-called gourmet delicacy is the product of extreme animal cruelty.

Ducks and geese are forced-fed unnaturally large quantities of food through a metal tube that is shoved down their throats and into their stomachs two or three times each day. The extensive overfeeding causes their livers to become diseased. The livers become enlarged up to ten times their normal size, making it difficult for the birds to move comfortably and, for some, even walk.

The practice of force-feeding can cause painful bruising, lacerations, sores, and even organ rupture. On some foie gras factory farms, the birds are severely restricted inside small, filthy cages where they cannot even turn around or spread their wings.

Due to animal welfare concerns, more than a dozen countries—including the United Kingdom, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Israel (formerly the world's fourth-largest foie gras producing nation), Norway, Poland, Sweden, and Switzerland—have prohibited the production of foie gras. In 2004, California became the first U.S. state to ban the cruel force-feeding of birds and the sale of foie gras produced from force-fed birds, effective 2012.

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla We raise ducks and geese at are house. The baby geese are so smart they follow you around and soon as they hatch out. (Of course it's hard work for them to hatch out so they usually rest the first few days until the get strong enough to follow you.)
I just love the little geese all colors and ages. :-)

Also we have are own chickens there for we have are own eggs to you can really tast the difference between store eggs and our eggs.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ***********Small Crates**********

Nationwide, nearly one million calves raised for veal and nearly six million breeding sows (female pigs) suffer nearly their entire lives inside tiny crates so small the animals can't even turn around.

Veal factory farmers separate calves from their mothers within the first few days of birth and cram them into individual crates or stalls, tethered by their necks. Inside these enclosures, the calves can barely move. The veal industry is a direct byproduct of the dairy industry and depends on it for survival.

Breeding sows suffer a similar fate. Throughout nearly their entire four-month pregnancies, the animals are confined inside individual metal gestation crates barely bigger than their own bodies, unable to perform many of their natural behaviors.

Due to animal welfare concerns, the entire European Union has already banned both veal crates and gestation crates, effective 2007 and 2013, respectively. Yet, in the United States, the use of these abusive crates remains customary practice.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla For more news on animals click here.
Also there are some really interesting facts on animals in here great for school writing assignments. :-)

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla The following information was gathered at this web site. Click here to go to it.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ********Dairy Cow Abuse********

The 9 million cows living on dairy farms in the United States spend most of their lives in large sheds or on feces-caked mud lots, where disease is rampant.3 Cows raised for their milk are repeatedly impregnated. Their babies are taken away so that humans can drink the milk intended for the calves. When their exhausted bodies can no longer provide enough milk, they are sent to slaughter and ground up for hamburgers.

Cows produce milk for the same reason that humans do: to nourish their babies. In order to force the animals to continue giving milk, factory farmers impregnate them using artificial insemination every year. Calves are generally taken from their mothers within a day of being born—males are destined for veal crates, and females are sentenced to the same fate as their mothers.

Mother cows on dairy farms can often be seen searching and calling for their calves long after they have been separated. Author Oliver Sacks, M.D., wrote of a visit that he and cattle expert Dr. Temple Grandin made to a dairy farm and of the great tumult of bellowing that they heard when they arrived: “‘They must have separated the calves from the cows this morning,’ Temple said, and, indeed, this was what had happened. We saw one cow outside the stockade, roaming, looking for her calf, and bellowing. ‘That’s not a happy cow,’ Temple said. ‘That’s one sad, unhappy, upset cow. She wants her baby. Bellowing for it, hunting for it. She’ll forget for a while, then start again. It’s like grieving, mourning—not much written about it. People don’t like to allow them thoughts or feelings.’”4
Cows are hooked up to milk machines that often tear their udders.

After their calves are taken from them, mother cows are hooked up, several times a day, to machines that take the milk intended for their babies. Using genetic manipulation, powerful hormones, and intensive milking, factory farmers force cows to produce about 10 times as much milk as they naturally would.5 Animals are pumped full of bovine growth hormone (BGH), which contributes to painful inflammation of the udder known as “mastitis.” (BGH is used throughout the U.S., but has been banned in Europe and Canada because of concerns over human health and animal welfare.)6 According to the industry’s own figures, between 30 and 50 percent of dairy cows suffer from mastitis, an extremely painful condition.7

A cow’s natural lifespan is 25 years, but cows used by the dairy industry are killed after only four or five years.8 An industry study reports that by the time they are killed, nearly 40 percent of dairy cows are lame because of the filth, intensive confinement, and the strain of constantly being pregnant and giving milk.9 Dairy cows are turned into soup, companion animal food, or low-grade hamburger meat because their bodies are too “spent” to be used for anything else.

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla *******Pigs That Can Not Turn Around******

Many people think of Charlotte’s Web and Babe when they imagine how pigs are raised for meat. Unfortunately, these Hollywood tales do not depict reality. Almost all of the 100 million pigs killed for food in the United States every year endure horrific conditions in controlled animal feeding operations (CAFOs), the meat industry’s euphemism for factory farms.5 Smarter than dogs, these social, sensitive animals spend their lives in overcrowded, filthy warehouses, often seeing direct sunlight for the first time as they are crammed onto a truck bound for the slaughterhouse.6

A mother pig, or sow, spends her adult life confined to a tiny metal crate. She will never feel the warmth of a nest or the affectionate nuzzle of her mate—she will spend her life surrounded by thick, cold metal bars, living on wet, feces-caked concrete floors. When she is old enough to give birth, she will be artificially impregnated and then imprisoned again for the entire length of her pregnancy in a “gestation crate,” a cage only 2 feet wide—too small for her even to turn around or lie down in comfortably.7

After giving birth, a mother pig is moved to a “farrowing crate,” a contraption even worse and smaller than a gestation crate, with only a tiny additional concrete area on which the piglets can nurse.8 Workers will sometimes tie the mother’s legs apart so she cannot get a break from the suckling piglets. She may develop open “bed sores” on her body from the lack of movement. This practice is so barbaric that gestation crates have been banned in Florida, the U.K., and Sweden and will be banned in the European Union in 2013.9,10
Pigs develop sores from living in filthy conditions that are too cramped to even stand up in.

When pregnant sows are ready to give birth, they are moved from a gestation crate to a farrowing crate. One worker describes the process: “They beat the shit out of them [the mother pigs:] to get them inside the crates because they don’t want to go. This is their only chance to walk around, get a little exercise, and they don’t want to go [back into a crate:].

Would you want to be shoved in a crate?

message 9: by Kayla (last edited Feb 28, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

Kayla After I read this about the dairy cows I started drinking soy milk it tastes the same as regular milk.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

From what I read, I wanna kick someone in the balls.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments LOL..yeah

well this is why everyone should be vegetarians or vegans and treat animals nicely..the way that they should be treated

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace | 12 comments omg thats so sad i might cry......

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments same here :(

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

No, I just wanna freaking kick someone in the balls, then steal the animals and give them the life they deserve.

message 15: by Omar (new)

Omar (olezky) | 94 comments same here :]

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments haha, good one

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Then travel to Japan...

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments i so want to

everything is so clean and idk its just perfect

message 19: by Omar (new)

Omar (olezky) | 94 comments u been to Japan?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments haaha nope and I wish to go also ..but everyone that went says that its all clean and they actually pick up there trash and other ppls trash o_o

message 22: by Omar (new)

Omar (olezky) | 94 comments um...u want us to be a member of that group or sumthing?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

YESH!

message 24: by Lola (new)

Lola | 17 comments ?????

message 25: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments i think ur ALL cruel to animals. GO VEGETARIANS!!! :-D

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

message 27: by Omar (new)

Omar (olezky) | 94 comments aren't vegetarians cruel to plants?
I mean it can take months for a plant to grow.

message 28: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments ya but we dont over breed animals that produce harmful toxins! AND it takes months for plants to grow but wat about animals it takes years! OH I WENT THERE!

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 27, 2009 05:24PM) (new)

Not really... I mean, the plants are grown all over, and you can get like, organic stuff, where they grow the plants really good, and they don't use pesticides! You can find organic meat, but that doesn't mean they're treating the animals any better! Sorry, I feel so strongly about this stuff... I get really carried away.

message 30: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments well plants cant biologicly feel pain so i cant be cruel to something that cant think or feel. a plant is just a jumble of instructions created be the sequences of nitrogenous bases

message 31: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cstar12) ????

message 32: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments DNA...

message 33: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cstar12) Ummmmm.....Ok.

message 34: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments :-)

message 35: by Omar (new)

Omar (olezky) | 94 comments waffez!!!

message 36: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments ...

hypocrite clams... Well... I already knew about all this stuff, and nothing's changed. It's still evil and cruel.

message 38: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments whos to say that animal cruilty will ever change? humans are animals and we r cruel 2 eachother so in order to stop being cruel to animals we have to be kind to eachother. but that wont happen because of the rules of survival and evolution, and the fact that all living things are greedy and only want there own survival. :-D

hypocrite clams... Well, that was a rant if I ever heard one. Nice. And, yes. Humans think that since we are the only things that are capable of speech means that we are the only things worth killing for. That doesn't mean that it won't change, it will just happen slowly.

message 40: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments the change will be slow enough that the world will either be no longer worth living in or things will change beyond human understanding. and thank u. :-D

hypocrite clams... And how do you know this? I won't believe your theory until you can prove it with fact. But, maybe you are right, and people still won't stop animal cruelty. Countries are already putting a stop to the worse kinds of abuse... maybe humans will stop.

message 42: by Max (new)

Max | 79 comments doubts.

hypocrite clams... Believe what you will.

message 44: by Li (new)

Li Robinson | 14 comments it's life face it

hypocrite clams... Screw you. If you are going to be such an ***hole, you should get your f***ing butt off this website.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments lol yay go emily♫!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

hehehe... Go Emily

hypocrite clams... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! THAT PERSON MAKES ME SO MAD!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

did you know that people used to tie 2 cats tails together and hang them over a clothes line and watch them fight till they were dead

Emily ♥ monkeys | 253 comments what r u serious!!! thats cruel, evil ppls!! wtf why would they do that??

« previous 1