Crandall's Christmas Book Club discussion

Our options so far

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crandall (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Crandall | 11 comments Mod
We have to pick a book by Tuesday because Monday is my last exam. So far the contenders are: The $64 Tomato, No Country for Old Men (this was my idea, but I could see why some people wouldnt want to read it now because they want to see the movie), The Pillars of the Earth, The Double Bind, and The Oldest Living Confederate Widow. Sorry Char, I have already read Water for Elephants and I know Em has as well. I am going to post all of them. To those you who havent made any recommendations, (Beef, Erica, Emily, and Claire) please do so. I hope everyone is doing well!

message 2: by Lacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Lacy | 5 comments I just bought No Country for Old Men in the airport this weekend, and though the writing is interesting I'm not sure this is the kind of thing everyone would want to read over the holidays. It's pretty gruesome. It is a short read, though, if anyone wants to zip through it before you see the movie.

message 3: by Lacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Lacy | 5 comments PS: As a reminder, Cran suggested that we pick our book by today. Good luck on exams, Cran!

message 4: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Ann | 4 comments I realize I'm coming in here after the decision deadline, but in case we are still looking -- Wallace Stegner, Angle of Repose; Wendell Berry, Jayber Crow; Marilynne Robinson, Gilead; A. S. Byatt, Possession. Each of these was a really enjoyable read to me -- I read them so long ago I've forgotten a lot, and wouldn't mind reading again. Ann S

message 5: by Crandall (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Crandall | 11 comments Mod
Thanks for the participation!! Yeah, I was having the same thoughts about No Country. I don't think the voting process is working, so I am just going to make an executive decision after a little research. It will be posted by 6:00 EST 12/12. It will be one of the ones already mentioned. I dont want to be seen as a dictator. Stay tuned!