Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Senate boosts wilderness protection across US

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090111/a...

The measure — actually a collection of about 160 bills — would confer the government's highest level of protection on land ranging from California's Sierra Nevada mountain range to Oregon's Mount Hood, Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and parts of the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia. Land in Idaho's Owyhee canyons, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan and Zion National Park in Utah also would be designated as wilderness.

What do you think? This is good, right? As our population grows, how can we sustain wilderness areas?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I hate to be a pessimist, but it's very good as far as it goes. Unfortunately, the eventuality is for all wilderness to disappear due to the disconnects between these local areas. Unrestrained human population growth and wilderness seem to be mutually exclusive.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, its not a bad thing, it is a start and hopefully the areas can be expanded over time.

message 4: by Meen (last edited Jan 12, 2009 09:46AM) (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Unrestrained human population growth and wilderness seem to be mutually exclusive.

And it's not even the population growth in this country, it's just the continuous expansion and sprawl. That's what we've gotta start restricting. Build up instead of out.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I'm thinking the current economic conditions may do some good there.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17316 comments Mod
Oh gawd, Mindy. Sprawl. It is the urban fungus, and it is rampant here.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments It sux.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Build up instead of out.

I'm afraid of heights. Ground floor, please.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Right? And everyone wants their "own land" so they refuse to live in any sort of apartment, mixed land use building, etc.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 12, 2009 10:15AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I do think large yards are overrated, esp. with the American obsessions with lawns. What's up with that? I like wildflowers, but if I were to let wildflowers grow on my lawn, I'd probably break some civic code or something...

I also refuse to live somewhere with a condo or neighborhood board or whatever that make everyone regulate what color they paint their house. Bleh.

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell In Santa Fe you can only paint you house certain colors (Earth tones.) When I was living there there was a guy who had a blue garage. I was told every year he got fined $500, but he refused to change it. That guy was my hero.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I love my large yard right now, it has a couple flower gardens, a fruit and vegetable garden and fruit trees so we get lots of fresh produce. But as soon as the kids are out of school, condo with no snow or yard work responsibilities here I come.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

My yard right now is filled with 1.5" of crusty snow, some sodden lawn furniture, one cement turtle and a wooden wishing well I wish Sweeter hadn't brought home from a yard sale.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I guess I should have been a little more specific, my is covered with snow right now too, but in the spring and summer...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.