The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > February 2009 Book Selection Is...

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 11, 2009 11:34PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Emma by Jane Austen

Enjoy!

message 2: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments Yay! I'm excited! =)

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments Can't wait, a lot of people voted this time so should be good discussions.

message 4: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I love chatting with you all, but I won't be rereading this I don't think. I want to read things I've not read, plus I still have to finish my reread of Sense & Sensibility I started with you all!!

message 5: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
I read Emma last year, back when this group got me into an Austen mood after Northanger Abbey :) I'd love to hear what you all think about it.

message 6: by Stella (new)

Stella (Stella_ExLibris) | 57 comments Great!! I just read Emma a couple of months ago (for the first time *embarassedly blushing smiley*) and loved it! Now there is a very tight competition between P&P and Emma for the place of "My-favourite-Austen-novel" :-) Loved the witty humour, the characters, ok, I'll stop and save the rest for the discussion ;-)

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 197 comments I bought this for .25 at a library book sale a few months ago figuring that it would be selected at some point. I'm really excited!!

message 8: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) I'm excited for this! I've never read anything Jane Austen (for shame, I know!), but I've been wanting to so badly! I suppose this will be the perfect way to start! :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I read Emma in June. Bought my copy at a Chapters in Toronto, my aunt wanted to give me a book for my birthday : ) I loved the book the more for the memories of buying that I relate to it.
Especially as the lady at the counter thought I was Canadian (it's always hugely flattering for me if an English native speaker mistakes me for being one, too, because I HATE my German accent) : )

message 10: by Deborah (last edited Jan 13, 2009 09:06AM) (new)

Deborah | 283 comments I also will be bowing out on Emma. While I admire Austen, I don't have the patience to reread her. And especially not in the dead of winter! Although if any body is up for watching the Gweneth Paltrow film and or Clueless, that would be cool.

Oh, and Marion, I would love to speak another language fluently enough to be mistaken for a native speaker (heck, I'd love to just be fluent!) But there's one thing you should know about Americans (can't speak for Canadians) -- we are absolute suckers for accents, especially European accents. I think it has something to do with our love/hate relationship and misplaced longing for royalty! ;D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I know, Deborah, my cousin's wife also couldn't understand why I wanted to get rid of my accent ; )
I guess I'll never be able to loose it totally, not even if I'll happen to life in the states for some time.. but I'll still try. To me, it's simply a sign of my own imperfection. I am simply a perfectionist.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren This is great! I have been trying to convince myself to read this one. I have A collection of Jane Austen on my bookshelf that I have not been really motivated to read. Also this one is in keeping with my new rule that I must finish my TBR pile before buying more books!

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jhickens) I have never read any Jane Austen books - although I really want to. I've started P&P several times, but never been focused enough to finish it. Shameful I know! I'm up for the challenge now (hopefully life won't consume me and I can finish).

message 14: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
While we're in the topic of accents... I think guys with British accents are so hot! LOL.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments I think I'll pick up Emma. Hopefully I'll have time. Is there a thread that explains the "rules" for the discussion? Such as finish it beforehand or do we read and discuss at the same time?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

You can read Emma whenever you want, Lori - Either right away or during February or whatever you like. We'll only start discussing on the 1st, but the discussions thread is never closed, so you can also add comments way after the month in which we read it.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments Great thanks. I know some have loose rules and suggestions. Personally, do you finish the book before the discussion starts?

message 18: by The_Freddy (new)

The_Freddy  (the_freddy) | 49 comments I'd really like to join in this discussion. :-) I hope I'll have some time. I wanted to re-read Emma for months!

message 19: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
It's all up to you as to when you want to join in the discussions. In the past we've had multiple threads so that people could jump in as they were reading, but lately people haven't seemed to be as into that so it's just been one thread. We're a pretty fluid group and go with what those participating prefer.

Dini, I laughed out loud at your comment! I also instantly thought of James McEvoy, remembering your crush!

message 20: by Angie (new)

Angie | 511 comments I love the one thread for a book. I think it allows the discussion to flow into one long discussion. I love the way the group does it myself. I mod a few groups and one that has different threads for one book and then we need discussion leaders and not too many people volunteer to do it so it makes it more difficult sometimes (for the mod at least).

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments I like the idea of one thread because it seems less confusing and difficult to find the "right" one for you as a reader. I'm looking forward to this discussion. I've owned Emma for ages and haven't read it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2009 08:22AM) (new)

Lori, I always read the books as soon as I find time for them. I read the Secret Life of Bees just last weekend, after the discussion had already begun, but I also read other books well in advance.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments Marion, Thanks. I'm worried about keeping up with discussions with college and homework. But I think I'll be able to handle it (I developed a new homework system)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

A homework system, that sounds interesting : )
What are you going to do? I developed a couple of those myself but it somehow is always pretty hard for me to stick to them.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments The plan is to do my homework for Wednesday on Monday night, homework for Thursday on Tuesday, and so on, thus freeing up my weekends. And I found out that for one of my classes, the homework should be completed for Monday, so I will pretty much have homework 1 night a week for that class. Papers will, of course, take up more than one night (particularly if they're longer than 5 pages) but that shouldn't be a problem if everything else goes right.

I hope I can stick with it because last semester I had no reading time whatsoever. I rarely got a free weekend because each week, I'd have at least one major paper, project or test the next week.

message 26: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) Lori--that's so funny that you say that because that is exactly what I've been planning to do once this semester starts. I like working ahead, too, so I think I'm going to get the first two weeks' worth of work done the first week so that I have more free time to myself and so that if a bigger project/paper/what-have-you should come up, I'll have more time to work with.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 315 comments Jess, I don't think I could work ahead like that, especially because a couple of my professors just give out assignments each day and there's no real syllabus to plan ahead. But I know when my tests and whatnot are. Hopefully we'll both be able to stay ahead like we want.

message 28: by The_Freddy (last edited Jan 17, 2009 08:31AM) (new)

The_Freddy  (the_freddy) | 49 comments I made a comprimise and stared listening to the audio book version I have of "Emma". It's read by Juliet Stevenson and great to listen to!
Of course it's abridged, but not very much an I can look up interesting parts if I want to. :)

And I would really need a homework system, too! Studying three languages is just too much - so I never to anything, which isn't good, either...

message 29: by Stella (new)

Stella (Stella_ExLibris) | 57 comments Yes, I have that audiobook too, Juliet Stevenson is great!

What three languages are you learning Freddy?

message 30: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I'm glad that some of you are excited about Emma. I have no idea when I last read Emma, but I am excited to read it again--and rewatch Emma with Gwyneth and Clueless, too!

This is one of my favorite books, and I have to add it was a no-brainer pick for the name of my first daughter. And this was pre-Rachael and Ross's baby! :) So I now have an Emma who happens to be turning eight next month. Just a little sharing. :)

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments You know I am still on Little Women... I have been in a funk this month... I think I may sit this one out. Try and catch up... :-/

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Is Clueless supposed to be a modern adaption of Emma? I have seen the movie a couple of times and liked it, but I never realized a similarity to Emma.

message 33: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

It is, Marion...

"An update of Jane Austen's 1816 novel Emma, the film tells the story of Cher Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone), a good-natured but superficial girl."

message 34: by Stella (new)

Stella (Stella_ExLibris) | 57 comments Aw Alison, your own cute little Emma :-)

Yes Marion, Clueless is the modern teenage version of Emma: Alicia Silverstone is Emma of course, her stepbrother Josh is Mr. Knightley, Brittany Murphy is Harriet Smith, Travis (the skater guy) is Robert Martin, Christian is Frank Churchill and the teachers who they brought together are kinda the Westons. Clueless is such a great modern Austen remake, funny and witty!

Have you seen the Kate Beckinsale version of Emma? I haven't seen it until recently, always swore by the Gwyneth Paltrow/Jeremy Northam version, but after reading the novel watched the Kate Beckinsale one, and I have to say I agree with all those who prefer that one (even though it is sans Jeremy Northam :-( ) because it is much more true to the novel and some of the characters are more liekable, so I woudl definitely recommend you all to watch it!

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenmarie1117) | 18 comments I actually haven't read Emma, although I do have the book. My niece, almost 17 now, has been an Austen fan for years. Too bad she doesn't join up to the group.

message 36: by Kristel (new)

Kristel | 164 comments I am excited to read Emma again. From February 2nd I'm going on maternity leave from work, so I should have some time to read (if little one isn't early of course).

Alison, so cute an eight year old Emma! Always liked that name, It's even one of the most popular names for newborn girls in my country, has been for a few years running now (I think Friends had something to do with that). I am expecting a boy, so...

Clueless is a well done adaptation in my opninion of the Emma-story...Loved Alicia Silverstone in that one.

message 37: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

We will have to include the Beckinsdale Emma in our movie night.

message 38: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 16 comments Ooooohhhh... this will be my first Austen. I am looking forward to the challenge!

message 39: by Stella (new)

Stella (Stella_ExLibris) | 57 comments aww your first Austen :-) I hope you'll love your first taste of her writing and style! (and have you seen film adaptations of her novels, or will these Emma adaptations eb your first too?)

My 2009 reading challenge is to read all remaining works of Jane Austen which I ahven't read so far.

message 40: by Kristel (new)

Kristel | 164 comments Meghan, Emma is a nice one to begin with. Hope you like it!

message 41: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

O.K., ladies. This is now closed. Thanks!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Emma (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Austen (other topics)