You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Debra T's Rainbow's Pot of Gold

Comments Showing 1-50 of 455 (455 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Debra (last edited Jul 25, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I've got so many possible books selected for this challenge, I've created a bookshelf on my GR profile for each color in the rainbow. Feel free to take a look!

I plan on reading several books for each color to earn as many points as possible!

Get ready, set.... well it's not quite July, yet!

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Love your enthusiasm! :)

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Yeah, I enjoy these little competitions. Something to look forward to.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Ok, my recommendations.
Blue - Coyote Blue Can't go wrong with Christopher Moore (except Fool)

Orange - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks good blend of science and the family's story.
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War just for the fun of it

Violet - Don't tell, but I didn't care for The Violets of March :)

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Great books Debra, you've put a lot of work into this already - without even turning a page ;)

Orange: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - loved this one!

Blue: I've tried to read The Secret Scripture twice and failed both times :(

Yellow: The Persimmon Tree, also on my list, I did start listening to the audiobook version last year and I always love Bryce Courtenay's writing.

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Hey jaxnsmom and Kat: Thanks for the tips on my books. I'm looking forward to reading a lot of them!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Second, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, especially if you have any interest in science and history.

message 8: by Almeta (last edited Jun 25, 2012 06:30AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9845 comments Judy wrote: "Second, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, especially if you have any interest in science and history."

I've had this on my TBR shelf since last April, and have heard good things about it. Maybe it is time to follow through. Want to share Debra? Orange or October?

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Almeta wrote: "Judy wrote: "Second, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, especially if you have any interest in science and history."

I've had this on my TBR shelf since last April, and have heard good things a..."

I think you two would enjoy it alot.

message 10: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments It's been on my TBR for a while too, depending on how my reading/listening pans out and whether I can get hold of it I may join you if you don't mind. It's not a definite so don't plan around me. :-)

message 11: by Debra (last edited Jun 25, 2012 01:51PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Almeta wrote: "Judy wrote: "Second, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, especially if you have any interest in science and history."

I've had this on my TBR shelf since last April, and have heard good things about it. Maybe it is time to follow through. Want to share Debra? Orange or October?

Can't I do both? Half-year challenge AND OctoberToppler for non-fiction? What say you, Judy?

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 44751 comments We say "no" to double dipping for challenges and group reads.

But, I have double dipped myself on the Year Long Challenge and Topplers. I think we've (mods) have discussed this before and decided not to restrict the longer challenges. Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong, fellow mods.

message 13: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9845 comments Debra wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Judy wrote: "Second, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, especially if you have any interest in science and history."

I've had this on my TBR shelf since last April, and have hear..."

But I asked this because Orange must be read in August!!!

message 14: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Oh yeah! Well, I've plenty of non-fiction to pick from for the October toppler. I'll read about Henrietta Lacks some other time during the next 6 months.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 44751 comments You could read Henrietta for the August toppler, IF it fits in with the August Toppler.

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'll keep that in mind, Janice. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Janice wrote: "You could read Henrietta for the August toppler, IF it fits in with the August Toppler."

I'm sure someone as creative as you will find a way, Debra. The August Toppler should be pretty easy to find books for though. :-)

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Going to go easier on us for the August toppler, eh? Figured you all had given us enough to bite into with the half-year challenge? lol

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Who said easier? This will be the most difficult one yet by my estimation, its just not going to be hard to find books for it. (Easier, she scoffs.LOL!)

message 20: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Oh dear! Wonder what you guys have up your sleeves now!

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 44751 comments You know that Judy! She's always got something up her sleeves.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments 5 aces? 2 jacks of clubs? hmmm....

message 23: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 06:46AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Here's my first book for the challenge. My sister, Almeta, and I share this one! We are going to go see the movie together.

B Task: Blue, must be physical book

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

20 points for first book in task completed
3 points for 353 pages
---
23 points for task
23 points to date

message 24: by Debra (last edited Jul 21, 2012 11:59PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments N Task: Green, non-fiction

Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger

5 points for cover and title requirement
2 points for 40 pages
---
27 points for task
50 points to date

message 25: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 12:00AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments B Task: Blue, must be physical book

Dead Harvest by Chris F. Holm
Dead Harvest by Chris F. Holm

30 points for additional book in task
5 points for betrayal in book (an angel betrayed an innocent girl and framed her for murder)
3 points for 384 pages
---
38 points for task
88 points to date

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Debra wrote: "Here's my first book for the challenge. My sister, Almeta, and I share this one! We are going to go see the movie together.

I Task: Yellow, must have an "I" location

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire H..."

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***
Do not go see this movie!!! It was horrible, ridiculous, disappointing...There were so many action/fight scenes that lasted way too long, and they were too artistically done (more choreographed ballet instead of physical down and dirty fighting). So much was left out, there wasn't enough regular life to balance the vampire parts. They could have at least portrayed the historically known parts better (only showed son Willie, and I don't know what happened to the Mary Todd Lincoln we all know, and so much more). Please don't waste your money!!!

message 27: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 12:01AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I Task: Yellow, must have an "I" location

Relics of the Dead aka "Grave Goods" by Ariana Franklin
Relics of the Dead (Mistress of the Art of Death, #3) by Ariana Franklin

Set in Great Britain, an island
20 points for first book in this task
3 points for every I in the title and author's name
3 points for 318 pages
---
26 points for task
114 points to date

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Wow, jaxnsmom. We may very well take your advice and avoid this one. We had heard it was getting good reviews, but based on your warning it doesn't sound like the type of movie we'd enjoy. Especially if it doesn't follow the book! Thanks for the heads-up!

message 29: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 12:02AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments B Task: Blue, must be physical book

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
Case Histories (Jackson Brodie, #1) by Kate Atkinson

30 points for additional book in this task
5 points for betrayal. Child betrayed by father (rape), husband betrayed by wife (adultery), and sister betrayed by murderer sister.
3 points for 310 pages
---
38 points for task
152 points to date

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 44751 comments Looking good Debra!

message 31: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments I love this Kate Atkinson series.

message 32: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Janice wrote: "Looking good Debra!"

Thanks!

message 33: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Alison wrote: "I love this Kate Atkinson series."

I'm reading the 2nd one now. Loved the first one!

message 34: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 12:02AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments O task: Indigo, must be published before 1980

America's Indigo Blues: Resist-Printed and Dyed Textiles of the Eighteenth Century by Florence Harvey Pettit
America's Indigo Blues Resist-Printed and Dyed Textiles of the Eighteenth Century by Florence Harvey Pettit

I thought this book would be so dry I'd have to give it up. I only borrowed it because it had an indigo title and cover. But I actually enjoyed reading it. Learn something new every day, as they say!

5 points for indigo title, indigo cover
5 points published 1974
2 points for 251 pages
---
32 points for task
184 points to date

message 35: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments And a wow for you too Debra! Keep at it. At this rate you'll read all your possible books for this challenge.

message 36: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments Debra T
the reading machine
give her a bookshelf
and she'll read it clean.

message 37: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "And a wow for you too Debra! Keep at it. At this rate you'll read all your possible books for this challenge."

I'm obsessed! So I just MIGHT do it!

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Judy wrote: "Debra T
the reading machine
give her a bookshelf
and she'll read it clean."

OMG, my own lil poem! Thank you, Judy!

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Watch out Judy. We're all going to want a poem as one of our badges :)

Debra's is certainly true! I don't know whether to be in awe or afraid - maybe a little of both :)

message 40: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Be afraid, be very afraid! lol

message 41: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 12:03AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments W task: Violet

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2) by Kate Atkinson

4 points for 400 pages
---
24 points for task
208 points to date

message 42: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Watch out Judy. We're all going to want a poem as one of our badges :)

Badges with poems, hmmm...

Debra's is certainly true! I don't know whether to be in awe or afraid - maybe a little of both :)"

Debra wrote: "Be afraid, be very afraid! lol"

lol!

message 43: by Debra (last edited Jul 22, 2012 12:03AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments R task: Red, author last name must begin with an R

Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau by Jewell Parker Rhodes
Voodoo Dreams A Novel of Marie Laveau by Jewell Parker Rhodes

5 points for 5 Rs in title and author's name
4 points for 436 pages
---
29 points for task
237 points to date

message 44: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I've got 6 colors towards my first rainbow. Just waiting for August to read an orange and I'll have it completed! Then on to my next rainbows! lol

message 45: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5760 comments OMG! I am behind....but I'm not out. Good job, Debra!

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 44751 comments Debra wrote: "I've got 6 colors towards my first rainbow. Just waiting for August to read an orange and I'll have it completed! Then on to my next rainbows! lol"

Wow! How many orange books do you plan on reading in August?

What did you think of Voodoo Dreams?

message 47: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Judy wrote: "OMG! I am behind....but I'm not out. Good job, Debra!"

Hey, thanks, Judy!

message 48: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Janice wrote: "Debra wrote: "I've got 6 colors towards my first rainbow. Just waiting for August to read an orange and I'll have it completed! Then on to my next rainbows! lol"

Wow! How many orange books do yo..."

I enjoyed reading Voodoo Dreams, but it wasn't exactly what I'd thought it would be. There is some spiritual voodoo stuff going on, but it's mostly about Marie Laveau's life (fictional) in New Orleans and her voodoo ancestry. I found it very interesting, but not scarey or gruesome.

I plan on reading around 15 orange books in August.

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 44751 comments Seriously? 15! Wow, I'll be lucky if I read 4 books in one month.

message 50: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Janice, I am having serious doubts whether or not Debra is fully human. I believe she has some sort of reading superpower. The worst part is, I'm betting the orange books aren't the only ones she'll be reading in August. So it's actually more intimidating than the measly 15 books :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.