LGBTQA Group Books discussion

The Mayor of Castro Street > "Harvey understood the necessity of all of us working together." (Looking at Part III - Supervisor Harvey Milk)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitaker (last edited Jan 20, 2009 07:08AM) (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) Just finished The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk.

In Part III, I particularly liked how Shilts dealt with Milk’s work as a supervisor: his commitment, his diligence, and his determination to reach out to communities other than the gay community. This inclusive multi-partisan approach, seeking to bridge rather than splinter, is something I find to be a true sign of leadership. It’s not surprising that Milk was able to build a wider power base than Dan White, his assassin, who ended up beholden to large vested interests.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  Once again I find all the historical details of this section fascinating. I particularly enjoyed reading about the Prop 6 campaign.

Milk's foreknowledge of his early death was always a bit eerie, but it came to be more so in this section. It was as if the closer the day came, the more he knew it. Of course, much of this could be due to Shilts's writing.

I admire how Milk maintained his campaign promises and really did all he could for ALL his constituents. I wish more politicians would be like that.