YA Book Council discussion

Official Selections > Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (last edited Jan 11, 2009 07:20PM) (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
Our February official selection is Coraline by Neil Gaiman! Our discussion is set for February 8th, 2009 -- 2 days after the release of the movie. The group will be watching the movie and then have our discussion.

Live blogging during our discussion as usual. We're going to catch a matinee, so approx. 7pm PST... maybe earlier if all of us has that day off.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Sorry guys! I just noticed that I accidentally closed this topic for discussion before today. Didn't mean to do that. Feel free to post anything about the book.

message 3: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Hi everyone! We just got back from the movie and I *loved* it. Loved it so much that I changed my rating from a 3 to 5 for the book.

message 4: by Alethea (new)

What I liked about the book:

references to Alice in Wonderland, particularly the use of a mirror, the cat, and his mode of travel between worlds

the creepy imagery--let's face it, Gaiman comes up with some pretty cool ideas, even if he doesn't always follow through

Coraline's brainy ways--even though I had a customer last year complain vehemently that there were too many books about "gifted" children, and that she really was annoyed that she couldn't find one about a kid who wasn't that bright because otherwise her rather dull-witted niece might feel put down if she gives her anything like The Mysterious Benedict Society, Matilda, or anything of that ilk. I seriously couldn't find anything that she didn't think would in some way offend her apparently fat, stupid, unpopular niece (hey, I couldn't have known this if she hadn't told me)

Most of all I appreciate the wonderment that Gaiman always puts into his writing. I always feel younger when I lose myself in one of his books. And I can't wait to start The Graveyard Book.

message 5: by Alethea (new)

What I liked about the movie:

The movie fixed a lot of problems that I had with the book! The pacing was so much better. The characterization of the parents (especially of her real parents, who I didn't dislike enough in the beginning of the reading) was much more fleshed-out. The structure of the story was much easier to understand. And they really upped the creepy factor that Gaiman already had going in the text (so much so that a few small children had to leave partway through the movie, they really got scared!)

The 3D animation was brilliant and I can't wait to see more of what's coming out this year, like Up.

The rendering of the house was just great. The door was not the same size that I thought it would be, and they deviate a little bit from the description in the movie in other respects, but despite all of that I enjoyed the whole experience.

I think the soundtrack comes out in 2 days--I'm definitely buying it!

message 6: by Jane (last edited Feb 08, 2009 11:22PM) (new)

Additions I liked in the movie:

1. creepy childish, but not so childish music
2. the spider qualities of the other mother
3. Whyborn
4. 3D
5. the performing mice
6. attacking the taffy
7. the garden
8. "find our eyes" instead of "find our souls"

Things I wish they didn't remove:

1. the other father being in the basement in his jelly-like form
2. the fact that Coraline called her father's cooking "recipes"
3. the mice performance at the end of the book
4. changing the mother's profession from artist to editor

... I'm sure there's more, but I've forgotten.

message 7: by Alethea (new)

Although, technically we *did* get to see the mice perform, which doesn't happen at all in the book (the "performance" is just the Dave McKean drawing.)

message 8: by Jane (new)

Roxy mentioned that the eyes represent the soul, and that's why the other mother was not able to recreate that in the other world. In the movie, the metaphor was represented in a more obvious manner, which I also liked.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Alethea wrote: "soundtrack..."

I LOVE the soundtrack. That's my favorite thing about the movie.

message 10: by Alethea (new)

I really loved that the "eyes" were hidden in plain sight as meaningful round objects. I really loved how the area crumbled up when she found each one! It was a great visual representation of the effect Gaiman describes in the book as the other-world things start looking more like drawings as Coraline looks back at them.

message 11: by Alethea (last edited Feb 08, 2009 11:27PM) (new)

Also I think I might have found a compromise with Jason (we've never been able to agree on a good girl name, and one of his suggestions was Caroline. I'd agree to a Coraline in the family!)

message 12: by Jane (last edited Feb 09, 2009 09:34AM) (new)

Alethea wrote: "Although, technically we *did* get to see the mice perform, which doesn't happen at all in the book (the "performance" is just the Dave McKean drawing.)"

Yes, you're right. But the "mice" that performed were the "other" mice, not the ones from the real world. I guess I also wanted to see the real mice perform.

That reminds me of another thing I liked in the movie: the transformation of mice to rat when the cat kills it.

message 13: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso | 64 comments Jane wrote: "Additions I liked in the movie:

1. creepy childish, but not so childish music
2. the spider qualities of the other mother
3. Whyborn
4. 3D
5. the performing mice
6. attacking the taffy
7. t..."

Visually the movie was amazing. I liked the Nightmare Before Christmas, but this just blew my mind. I think that the music was not creepy childish, but nursery rhyme creepy. I agree that the soundtrack was great and was perfect for the movie.

I wish that they would of kept the father in the basement part for the movie. I think that this would of been great visually. The scene were the other mother gets her button eyes removed should of actually been the other fathers eyes. In the book he is the one that gets them removed and then hears her running up the stairs and goes after her. I did enjoy the change for the mother though. I liked how they did not overdue it with the 3D special effects and that it was more subtle.

message 14: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments Yes, I wish we could have kept the Other Father in the basement as well, that was one of the parts that creeped me out the most in the book.

message 15: by Alethea (new)

For you knitters out there, the Coraline knitter, whose name is also Althea:

http://www.bugknits.com/

And my next project, Coraline gloves:

http://theyellowjournalist.blogspot.c...